Thread: Savage 110 Scout rifle

Savage 110 Scout rifle

What do y'all think about the Savage 110 Scout rifle pros and cons

Bad ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out the threads here regarding the iron sights.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Ditto on checking out the other threads here. I own that rifle and the iron sights are not usable. So I would consider another brand of scout rifle or if you want a Savage, another model.
    Savage has no interest in fixing a major problem with this rifle.
    I removed the irons and scout rail and installed a regular picatinny scope base and standard scope setup. It is no longer a scout rifle.
    If you don't care about the iron sights, then it is fine. But you still have that front sight assy hanging on it unless you remove the muzzle brake, knock out the roll pin on the front sight assy and remove the sight.
    Good luck.

On the other hand, the pros are everything else pretty much. In .338 Federal or .450 Brushmaster it is a great bush & brush design and I'd be looking at one if I was in that market. Lever quick-detatch rings on the scope and life would be good. IF there were a work around for those iron peep sights. I would note that Steyr had no iron sights at all on their pricey Scout Rifle.

I have three bolt centerfires with iron sights and no scope for what I might use a scout rifle for. Good, rugged iron sights are still pretty effective out to 150 yards and beyond.

I suppose "desperation method" might be to pick up a set of Picatinny mount offset iron sights and mount them on either end of the scope rail. That way you have iron sights even with the scope in place. Sucks it should be necessary.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

I have one in .308 Win. and love almost everything about it.

The iron/peep sights will send your rounds into the stratosphere at anywhere beyond 50 yards. Been there - done that. Moved right along by ditching all of the scout stuff and mounted a scope over the action.

On the plus side, it's short, it's FDE, it's accurate, has the accustock and accufit systems, takes P-mags, is short action, and has a nice muzzle brake on it (although not if you ask your neighbours at the range). It's loud AF when you're beside the gun.