Hello,
I just came into a Savage 340 in .30/30 win. It’s a neat little rifle that seems it could be fast handling and since spitzer type bullets can be used, I think I could get better performance out of the cartridge....I have some questions; maybe someone could help or steer me in the right direction....
Having taken the rifle out of the stock, I see the unusual way it is fastened....there is one receiver screw going into the recoil lug, and the other to a barrel band that pulls the barrel into the channel which seems to free float the receiver.... Just setting the barreled receiver in the stock it will rock on a point behind the recoil lug. Is it supposed to do that??? I was considering glass bedding the recoil lug, about an inch forward that, and the band / nut on the barrel band....Should I consider pillars also? Has anyone done this before???
Next, I was contemplating having the rifle drilled and tapped for a side scope mount. A B Square set came with the rifle but was never installed. Are they any good? Should I just consider an aperture sight (Williams, Lyman) instead? Any information would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks.