Thread: Savage 110 High Country Build Out

Savage 110 High Country Build Out

Hello everyone! I have been a long time shooter of Savage rifles, but I am new to this forum. I've had my Savage 17HMR and 22 for the past ten years and have been very pleased with their performance and durability. I was recently in the market for a 300 win mag rifle to use for a combination of long range hunting and long range target shooting and really enjoyed the look and features of the 110 High Country. My decision came down to a Remington 700 (various models) and the High Country, which I ultimately ordered.

This is my first build out of a rifle for this purpose and I want to make sure I do it right, within reason. I am still waiting on the rifle to arrive, but wanted to pick some things up in the meantime while I wait.

I already have a Maven RS3 5-30x50 FFP scope to mount on the rifle and need to find a set of integrated rings, or rings and bases, to mount the optic. Ideally I want to keep the cost reasonable, but still be reliable and serve the purpose and wanted to see what everyone else was using on their set up.

I am leaning towards integrated rings or a 2 piece mount and rings set up, ideally with built in anti-cant/bubble level in the rings. I know there are options to mount a bubble level to the scope, but I like the sleeker look of the integrated ones. Has anyone found any integrated/hybrid rings with this feature that will mount to the Savage 110 action? Hawkins makes a set for Rem 700, but they do not have them for the 110 action. Are there any two piece mounts with ~20MOA built in, or is that only for one piece mounts? Is there any benefit/drawback to the one piece mounts over the two?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Basic Member
    I am not sure, but Nightforce, Leupold, or Seekins may make rings with a built in bubble level.

Blabbing hamilton.
    Bed it. Clear the barrel from stock
    Mount things correctly
    Yes a bubble
    No need for 20moa rail unless your shooting 1200 plus which is silly but cool

Try 220gn smk or 190s

Barrel break in is real.. scrub it or shoot it..

We like pictures!
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with the Talley lightweight rings on my High Country and the bubble level ring. It was around $65 for the setup and they work great. Didn't lap before mounting the optic but checked with the alignment rods and they were spot on.

Basic Member
    https://www.swfa.com/. Is a great resource with excellent filters so you can find exactly what you want. Your base and ring selection boils down to your personal preference. Good luck

Thanks everyone! I will definitely be posting pictures once I get everything set up. I actually have the Talley lightweights sitting in my shopping cart but wanted to make sure they could handle the recoil on a 300 win mag over time, plenty of people seem to like those rings.

I plan to do everything right on this set up, but find it hard to believe a set of rings for $200 are really that much better (though some of them are pretty cool). I do have 80MOA vertical adjustment in the scope itself, FFP with an MOA reticle, so it should be good to shoot targets out to 1000yards without a 20MOA mount, just wanted to option in case i get froggy in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by AB625 View Post
    I went with the Talley lightweight rings on my High Country and the bubble level ring. It was around $65 for the setup and they work great. Didn't lap before mounting the optic but checked with the alignment rods and they were spot on.

Sweet setup! What caliber is that? Are those the regular or extended Talley rings? Also, what height scope rings did you end up with and what scope are you running? (so I can compare specs for my set up).

Once I get my tax stamp and suppressor I plan to remove the factory brake and install an ASR brake for the suppressor to mount to, but that will be closer to the end of the year.
    Last edited by atrouth; 01-15-2020 at 12:36 PM. Reason: added details

Never tried one myself, but always liked the design.

http://precisionhardcoregear.com/tru_level_pic_rail.php
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Never tried one myself, but always liked the design.

http://precisionhardcoregear.com/tru_level_pic_rail.php
    Now that is pretty awesome, I like that the level is based off the gun so it can help with leveling the scope to the gun/mount as well. Might have to consider this as an option paired with a set of vortex rings, especially since they have a 20MOA option

Quote Originally Posted by atrouth View Post
    Sweet setup! What caliber is that? Are those the regular or extended Talley rings? Also, what height scope rings did you end up with and what scope are you running? (so I can compare specs for my set up).

Once I get my tax stamp and suppressor I plan to remove the factory brake and install an ASR brake for the suppressor to mount to, but that will be closer to the end of the year.
    Caliber is 6.5 PRC and these are the standard medium height rings #740725. Scope is an Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27 with a 50mm objective lens and the fit is perfect. I could've gone with taller rings to allow for a more upright shooting position since I'm 6'5, but using the taller combs wouldn't allow for my cleaning rod to fit in the action and I didn't want to remove it everytime to clean. Also note I bought some longer screws and stacked the two largest stock spacers.

Caliber is 6.5 PRC and these are the standard medium height rings #740725. Scope is an Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27 with a 50mm objective lens and the fit is perfect. I could've gone with taller rings to allow for a more upright shooting position since I'm 6'5, but using the taller combs wouldn't allow for my cleaning rod to fit in the action and I didn't want to remove it everytime to clean. Also note I bought some longer screws and stacked the two largest stock spacers.
    Thank you for that. So I believe the 6.5 PRC is a short action and the 330 win mag is a long, so I may need to look at getting the extended rings from Talley to make sure they fit my scope with the long action. I really like the look of the Steiner rings, but im still shying away from dropping a rail on that action, to me the integrated rings look much better on this rifle.

I literally have the exact same setup down to rings. That's crazy.

Basic Member
    I have to disagree on the scope base, I'd instead suggest 20MOA for a one-piece, or if using 2-piece bases, shim the rear. You are planning for long-range shots, so why not prepare for it from the start? Don't assume in other words that an '80MOA' scope will have 40MOA left after you do your 100 yd zero.

Quote Originally Posted by atrouth View Post
    Thank you for that. So I believe the 6.5 PRC is a short action and the 330 win mag is a long, so I may need to look at getting the extended rings from Talley to make sure they fit my scope with the long action. I really like the look of the Steiner rings, but im still shying away from dropping a rail on that action, to me the integrated rings look much better on this rifle.
    Hello, any updates on your build? I'm kinda in the same situation as you. I'm rebarreling my 116 LA and changing my scope setup at the same time. I was looking at the Talleys as well but with either a Leupold VX3 or 5 scope. The VX5 has similar dimensions to your Maven. Did these rings work out for you?

That's a great looking Rig!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js223 View Post
    I have to disagree on the scope base, I'd instead suggest 20MOA for a one-piece, or if using 2-piece bases, shim the rear. You are planning for long-range shots, so why not prepare for it from the start? Don't assume in other words that an '80MOA' scope will have 40MOA left after you do your 100 yd zero.
    ^^^ Absolutely.
    Too many cut themselves short on elevation adjustment, not understanding that only in a "perfect" world would you have half of total adjustment range available for "up"...
    No reason to not use one, there should still be no issues zeroing even at 100 yards.

Long range hunting/target shooting is a compromise rifle. Gotta keep it light enough to tote, which precludes a long, heavy contour barrel that would be optimal for target strings.

What did you go with?

Quote Originally Posted by 2rjs View Post
    Hello, any updates on your build? I'm kinda in the same situation as you. I'm rebarreling my 116 LA and changing my scope setup at the same time. I was looking at the Talleys as well but with either a Leupold VX3 or 5 scope. The VX5 has similar dimensions to your Maven. Did these rings work out for you?
    So I ended up going with a one piece steel mount (although it’s heavier) for strength and because every aluminum mount was too long. I wanted to use a set of low rings if I did a one piece base and the objective lens and knob for magnification would not clear on any that were over 7” long. I ended up using a Leupold Mark 4 base with 20 MOA built in and Steiner T series rings. I still had to take some sand paper to the corners at the end of the base for clearance, but it didn’t take much. The tolerances are pretty tight but it can clear a piece of paper when everything is torqued down. I could’ve sworn I read somewhere that the receiver was tapped for 8-40 screws on these, but it’s definitely not. Just finished adjusting the stock, the D comb and 3 length of pull seemed to do it for my size. Eye relief is consistent, just need to get a bipod and I’ll be set

Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    ^^^ Absolutely.
    Too many cut themselves short on elevation adjustment, not understanding that only in a "perfect" world would you have half of total adjustment range available for "up"...
    No reason to not use one, there should still be no issues zeroing even at 100 yards.

Long range hunting/target shooting is a compromise rifle. Gotta keep it light enough to tote, which precludes a long, heavy contour barrel that would be optimal for target strings.

What did you go with?
    I ended up going with a Leupold Mark 4 one piece steel base with 20 MOA built in and Steiner T series rings with the built in level on the top ring. Only annoyance is the machining for the leupold base does not quite match the opening on the long action. I sent an email to Leupold and I am waiting to hear back

Sorry for the giant photos, trying to figure out how to post them on here...

Basic Member
    Can get the SWFA rings and SFWA bubble. I have the rings and, while I haven't installed yet, they match up to my tube on the Nikon scope I have as expected and I highly doubt I will have any issues. The bubble I ordered because... why not look cool. I don't need it but, whatever.