Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened?

Basic Member

What happened?

Got back from shooting the 22-250 with 52 grain and 69 grain bullets. 52 grain grouped pretty good, from 1/2-5/8 MOA. One group of the 69 grain was better, about 3/8 MOA but I didn't finish. The last shot when I ejected the primer was missing from the case. I thought that was odd, figured it got thrown out when I ejected but fortunately, before I shot again, I pulled the bolt and couldn't see through the bore. Got back home and there was brass or part of the primer lodged in the very back part. I took a cleaning rod and had to tap a few times to dislodge it. I don't want to shoot again until I get a little advice from some of you guys that know a lot more than I do.

I looked the bolt over and as much of the rest of the gun as pretty good but will do some more looking and wait until I get some advice before I shoot it again. I also am sure the powder charge was right and the bullet seating depth was correct. I double check everything since I want to be safe as possible.

Basic Member
    Did the last shot feel unusual in any way like felt recoil or sound? Was the bullet on target or unusually low?

Basic Member
    I am confused...you ejected the spent shell but could not see through the bore at all? Where was the debris stuck that you knocked out with the cleaning rod? Did you keep that shell...any part of it blown apart?

Basic Member
    After I ejected the shell I picked up the case and noticed the primer was missing. I figured it probably got ejected with the spent cartridge but just to be safe I pulled the bolt and couldn't see through the bore. When I got back home I knocked whatever it was out. It would have been just at the start of the rifling. I wanted to examine it but I'll be damned if I can find it. I should have done it on a non carpeted part of the house. I will continue to look for it but it is small and I might not be able to find it. I also thought maybe it could be in the gun someplace, like the magazine but I don't see it.

I didn't bring the case in with me. I wish I would have. I will go out tomorrow if it doesn't rain and examine it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2905 View Post
    Did the last shot feel unusual in any way like felt recoil or sound? Was the bullet on target or unusually low?
    No, it felt the same, sounded the same. There were only 2 other shots in the group and it wasn't a good group by any means but it wasn't wildly off, like I say it was only a 3 shot group and it might have been 1/2" different from the average group.

Basic Member
    Curiosity got the best of me and I went out to the farm and picked up the case. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. No bulges, no split neck, the length is well within spec. In fact, if this hadn't happened I see no reason why it couldn't be reloaded again. I am sure it wasn't the primer that was stuck in the bore but I have no idea what it was. Is it possible it could a defective bullet? This was the Sierra 69 grain Match King which I heard is considered to be a high quality product and it would seem unlikely but strange things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post
    After I ejected the shell I picked up the case and noticed the primer was missing. I figured it probably got ejected with the spent cartridge but just to be safe I pulled the bolt and couldn't see through the bore. When I got back home I knocked whatever it was out. It would have been just at the start of the rifling. I wanted to examine it but I'll be damned if I can find it. I should have done it on a non carpeted part of the house. I will continue to look for it but it is small and I might not be able to find it. I also thought maybe it could be in the gun someplace, like the magazine but I don't see it.

I didn't bring the case in with me. I wish I would have. I will go out tomorrow if it doesn't rain and examine it.

Walk around the area where you think it is bare footed you will find it, I know that when I have broken glass on my tile, I can sweep, vacuum and mop several times. The first time I hit the area bare footed I'll find one or two little slivers.

Basic Member
    Did you chamber another round after ejecting the missing primer round?
    If so that could have pushed the loose primer into the bore. Just thinking of possibilities
    Jack

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JW View Post
    Did you chamber another round after ejecting the missing primer round?
    If so that could have pushed the loose primer into the bore. Just thinking of possibilities
    Jack

No, I didn't. I talked to a friend that has a lot of experience, has over a dozen rifles in numerous calibers, with a lot of experience handloading and he said he had never had that happen or heard of anything like it. He didn't know what could have happened either.

Basic Member
    Just to offer an uninformed wild guess, I would consider a contaminate in the charge of powder.

There's a lot of fishy things to this story. A guy who's super careful and double checks everything, doesn't find a bore obstruction and causally remove it without inspecting what it is. Nor let the unknown obstruction fall into the carpet without a care after beating it out of the bore.

I agree with Dave, it sounds like a contaminant in the primer or powder, and the bullet got stuck (squib).
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

There's a lot of fishy things to this story.
    Ya think?

You really need to check your resized brass to see if you are "over sizing" it
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I found something with the bolt just now. The ejector pin is missing. Do I send this in to Savage or can it be fixed locally? This gets stranger all the time.

Basic Member
    If you have average mechanical ability, that's easy to replace. Assuming the bolt head is intact and undamaged, you will need the ejector, ejector spring, and the pin that holds it in place. Plenty of YouTube videos out there on the topic.

Basic Member
    I tried seating a primer in the case and it will not seat.

Basic Member
    How many times have you reloaded the cases? If you have loaded them several times,and also near/at high pressures,the primer pockets on the cases will get big. Even if your not loading at the loading manual max loads,your rifle may be at high pressure because of the chamber dimensions they made in your barrel.
    Blowing a primer,and compressing your ejector is a good sign of extreme case pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post
    I tried seating a primer in the case and it will not seat.
    I think you are seeing multiple issues and it might serve you well to work one at a time.

To me it sounds like your brass does not fit your chamber. The primer blew back and hot gasses cut or blew out your ejector. I would be interested in seeing the bolt face. Was it black with carbon. Are their holes cut in the face of the bolt head. I would not shoot anymore reloads until you get a mentor or have someone measure your brass.

Basic Member
    Whats the history on the gun, is it as it left the factory, or has it been altered in some way that might have had some affect on headspace?

Basic Member
    The only thing ever done to the gun was I lightened the trigger a little. It is probably around 10 years old but has not been fired many times, probably fewer than 250 rounds I would estimate.

When you say measure the case, do you mean with with some some specialized fixture?

Tells you how far back you bump your shoulder. Called a comparitor. This is one type. Measure fired brass and when you size it you try to stay .001" to .002" less than fired dimension.

Basic Member
    That's what I thought you meant. I see you have a mechanical caliper. I wish I had one. The digital ones are fussy sometimes and I don't have a cheap one either. I want to get some actual micrometers. I believe they are more accurate. I know they would be more accurate than the digital I have.

Basic Member
    Would the shoulder dimension of my case compared to a new one tell you the information you need to know?

The one that will tell you the most is one fired from you rifle but not yet sized.

Basic Member
    One cannot "blow out" an ejector......it will only jam and stick in the bolt face. I've seen extractors "blow out" but they only go as far as the extreme outside of the bolt head and jam into the receiver threads, and sometimes the detent ball comes out. If this scenario happened, it WOULD get your attention.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast