Thread: Savage 12fv 22-250

Basic Member

Savage 12fv 22-250

Bought this rifle during Black Friday. Mounted Nikon M-Tactical 3-12x40 with vortex pro rings, and a leupold rail. This thing is the best rifle I’ve ever shot! Granted I’m an archery hunter at heart and not a rifle shooter, but that is starting to change. Shot today in -5 just a bipod and got 7/8” all day! That was at 100yds. Now if I can get my Savage 110 270 that way I’ll be happy. Haha

Basic Member
    Factory Hornady express v-max 50gr was even tighter at 100yds when I first sighted in. No need to get a new stock or anything. Now with this cold weather I’ll have to get out for some coyote hunting.

Basic Member
    I have a few 12FVs, all purchased when they were cheap with the rebate months ago. One was a 22-250. I had the barrel threaded for a suppressor and I put it in a HS Precision stock. I was able to finally shoot it this last November. Unfortunately, I was helping a friend sight in his new Browning X-Bolt. We had some problems, and by the time that was done, it was almost too dark to shoot.

However, I shot 5 whole shots. That was all I needed to zero my rifle and I was out of daylight at that point. I was using 53 grain V-Max bullets. I really want to shoot it some more and hope to soon. I also have some 50 grain V-Max I can try as well.

Basic Member
    It’s funny I had a plan to get a stock, bed it, get cool handles.... goes on and on the more I read. Then I shot it. I’ll spend more on other things, I’m certain this gun shoots a lot better than I’m capable of at the moment.

Basic Member
    For a carry around rifle, the original 12FV stock is actually pretty good since it is lightweight and decently constructed for what it is. I added the HS Precision stock to mine as I was able to get it at a reasonable price.

Basic Member
    I've had a 22-250 12 FV for a few years now. I shot it a lot in the first year and a half. At about 1800 rounds it started nearing a 1 inch rifle. Before then it was routinely shooting like yours. I put a 22-250AI barrel on it from X-Caliber with an 8 twist 3 groove in a Bobby Hart stock. It holds half moa now, with more 5 shot groups in the 0.3" range then going over 0.5". These rifles are shooters.

Basic Member
    The 12 FV is a great rifle out of the box. It is a wonderfull platform to build on. I'm not sure how many I and friends have bought over the last 8+ years. Our favorites are the .223 and .204. The .204 is apparently no longer available in the 12 FV. Most of my buddys have kept them as is with no changes and they are very happy with them. I and another buddy are avid P-dog shooters and have made some major adustments. The 12 FV has become a donor rifle to build the 20 Practicals. He and I have built 4 almost exactly alike except for optics and rings. We are using Shilen Prefit (thank you Shilen and Northland Shooters Supply) in 20 Practical. Rifle Basix Triggers. Bell and Carlson Stocks. I like the Talley one piece rings/mounts. They have become our go to rifles. You'll be happy weather you keep it original or tinker with it a bit. Just one piece of advice. They are addictive and can end up costing you a lot of $$$$$$$$. Just like those chips " you cant have just one".