Thread: Model 11 Compact

Model 11 Compact

I was very new to firearms when I purchased a Model 11 Trophy Hunter XP Compact in .308 caliber. I took it to the range and shot it a few different times before realizing the length of pull was way too short for me. It's very uncomfortable to shoot. I measured my LOP at 14-1/2", and the compact has a 12-3/4" LOP. I will be spending time at the range with this gun, but I hope to use it for hunting big game in North America, mainly whitetail for now though. I do like how lightweight this setup is currently. The options for affordable stocks with a long enough LOP for this model are pretty limited from what I've found. I've looked at the Boyd's, Hogue and B&C options, but I also have to tack on another $100 for the bottom metal since I have the plastic stock with detachable magazine. So my question to the savage experts here is, do I spend the $250 or more on a new stock, or sell this one and buy a new rifle with a longer LOP?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MN_Condor View Post
    I was very new to firearms when I purchased a Model 11 Trophy Hunter XP Compact in .308 caliber. I took it to the range and shot it a few different times before realizing the length of pull was way too short for me. It's very uncomfortable to shoot. I measured my LOP at 14-1/2", and the compact has a 12-3/4" LOP. I will be spending time at the range with this gun, but I hope to use it for hunting big game in North America, mainly whitetail for now though. I do like how lightweight this setup is currently. The options for affordable stocks with a long enough LOP for this model are pretty limited from what I've found. I've looked at the Boyd's, Hogue and B&C options, but I also have to tack on another $100 for the bottom metal since I have the plastic stock with detachable magazine. So my question to the savage experts here is, do I spend the $250 or more on a new stock, or sell this one and buy a new rifle with a longer LOP?
    I bought a houge for mine.. did you look at archangel.. theirs are supposed to work on top.or bottom bolt release

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I'll have to look at those, thanks for the suggestion. How do you like the Hogue? Pillar or full bed block? Would you happen to know the length of pull on it?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MN_Condor View Post
    I'll have to look at those, thanks for the suggestion. How do you like the Hogue? Pillar or full bed block? Would you happen to know the length of pull on it?
    I went with full bed aluminium but I gotta say ,.so far the archangel has been nothing short of impressive.. granted I think the archangel is more intended for you competition but it certainty has not disappointed me

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    If you like the gun and the way it shoots, I would just get a different stock for it. I think the compact also has a shorter barrel (20") than the standard (22"). You would also be able to get a blind magazine stock, you just have to remove the bottom of the magazine and place the magazine box into the stock. You could always look for a factory take off stock. I have a take off stock if you are interested, pay shipping and it's yours.

I enjoy changing things up on my rifles, you may not.