Thread: Recently purchased 110 hog hunter in 350 legend

Recently purchased 110 hog hunter in 350 legend

With the introduction of this newer model there are very little reviews (understandable). There was one review in particular that had issues with the hornady 170 gr bullets. Anyone else here having issues with these bullets loading into the chamber? These were the bullets I intended on using. Also, what scope bases are recommended for this gun? I’ve seen DNz bases and weaver on piece rails - what is the brand and size that would be adequate for this rifle.

Really hoping I don’t regret this purchase as it is perfect for the thicker brush hunting that I do.

Thanks for Any input.

Take a look at the EGW base for a long action. Rear of your receiver should be rounded, not flat like the older 110 actions. I have no experience with the 350 Legend, was thinking of building one myself.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Take a look at the EGW base for a long action. Rear of your receiver should be rounded, not flat like the older 110 actions. I have no experience with the 350 Legend, was thinking of building one myself.
    His 110 Hog Hunter is a short action, not a long action.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Correct; 350 Legend is a short action round and fits a standard AR lower receiver with 350 Legend upper. The round is being picked up by more and more manufacturers and has good reviews. I personally just ordered a Ruger American Predator in that chambering. I like the Ruger because it is light. Nothing wrong with the round.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    His 110 Hog Hunter is a short action, not a long action.
    Oops! Forgot their all identified by the 3 digit number now...….
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

I have the 350 legend in a Ruger American bolt rifle and it's a real fine shooter, you won't be sorry you bought it. I use winchester 145gr ammo and it hits hard and is suprisingly accurate at the distance I've shot mine at (160 yards). The recoil is mild like 7.62x39, but the 350 legend will take deer and hogs easily out to 200 yards or more. I see Savage has a bunch of 110 rifles in the caliber now, things are getting very interesting. Sorry to get away from your scope mount question, but I believe this rail will work nicely but call to make sure. Short action is what you need!
    https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Savage-RB-Round-Back-p/egw-round%20backsa.htm

Much as I hate to say it, but I think the Ruger American Ranch rifle is the way to go for a bolt-action in .350 Legend. Feeding with the Savage I recently reviewed was so-so at best, and since the Ruger uses AR mag's those wanting higher capacity where allowed have easy access to it.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Thank you all. I went with the DNZ Grim Reaper 2 round bases and it fit perfectly. Gun shoots well.

I had no issues with closing the bolt on Hornady 170 gr bullets.

But aside from the cool looks, the great shooting - I cannot keep this gun if I can't feed bullets into the barrel. I didn't have the 'so-so feeding' issues like I read about - NONE of the bullets would feed from the magazine into the chamber. Now the question is, Is savage going to fix this magazine issue and create a new one that is consistent?

I'm no gunsmith, but I have heard mention of tweaking the magazine to feed properly - how is this achieved?

I just can't see how they introduce a new gun for sale in a new caliber ............ surely they had to test the magazines? Right?

Basic Member
    I have a new 110 Hog Hunter 350 Legend as well. I've only shot the Winchester 145 grain FMJ target ammo and had no magazine feeding problems. I'm waiting for Winchester to start shipping their 265 grain Super Suppressed ammo this month. I have a SilencerCo Omega 36M suppressor on order for this rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Troop A View Post
    I'm no gunsmith, but I have heard mention of tweaking the magazine to feed properly - how is this achieved?

I just can't see how they introduce a new gun for sale in a new caliber ............ surely they had to test the magazines? Right?
    Tweaking the magazine is simply adjusting the feed lips slightly to improve feeding consistency. The metal part of the newer centerfeed mag's are made of spring steel so they're more stubborn to adjust than the older stagger feed mags, but it can be done. Most simply use pliers with the jaws wrapped in several layers of tape to prevent them from damaging/gouging the mag lips.

As I noted in my review, the problem mostly lies with the fact that Savage is shipping these rifles with standard .223 Rem magazines. With the .350 Legend being slightly larger in diameter, this results in the top round sitting slightly lower in the magazine. This often resulted in the bolt failing to pick up a round when pushing the bolt forward.

How much "slop" or "play" there is in the magazine retention can have a similar effect as well. With the magazine locked into the stock, push up on it to see how much movement there is before it stops. A very little bit is acceptable, but a lot can contribute to the above mentioned issue of not stripping off the next round.

As for feeding from the mag into the chamber when the bolt does strip off the next round, there's not a clear answer to that as you have to assess what's happening and why the round is jamming up. Typically this is caused by the tip of the bullet hitting above or below the chamber mouth causing the jam. You will need to remody this by adjusting the front of the feed lips accordingly to allow the tip to sit slightly higher or lower in the magazine.

Another issue I occasionally ran into is depicted in the video linked below where the next round in the mag nose-dives into the mag. Basically what I think is happening here is the rim of the top case is catching the the rebate of the next round and driving it forward in the magazine forcing the tip down. Not sure if widening the feed lips at the rear to allow the top round to sit a little higher would help here or not.

Video: https://www.facebook.com/brad.holt.9...7226060328155/

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Tweaking the magazine is simply adjusting the feed lips slightly to improve feeding consistency. The metal part of the newer centerfeed mag's are made of spring steel so they're more stubborn to adjust than the older stagger feed mags, but it can be done. Most simply use pliers with the jaws wrapped in several layers of tape to prevent them from damaging/gouging the mag lips.

As I noted in my review, the problem mostly lies with the fact that Savage is shipping these rifles with standard .223 Rem magazines. With the .350 Legend being slightly larger in diameter, this results in the top round sitting slightly lower in the magazine. This often resulted in the bolt failing to pick up a round when pushing the bolt forward.

How much "slop" or "play" there is in the magazine retention can have a similar effect as well. With the magazine locked into the stock, push up on it to see how much movement there is before it stops. A very little bit is acceptable, but a lot can contribute to the above mentioned issue of not stripping off the next round.

As for feeding from the mag into the chamber when the bolt does strip off the next round, there's not a clear answer to that as you have to assess what's happening and why the round is jamming up. Typically this is caused by the tip of the bullet hitting above or below the chamber mouth causing the jam. You will need to remody this by adjusting the front of the feed lips accordingly to allow the tip to sit slightly higher or lower in the magazine.

Another issue I occasionally ran into is depicted in the video linked below where the next round in the mag nose-dives into the mag. Basically what I think is happening here is the rim of the top case is catching the the rebate of the next round and driving it forward in the magazine forcing the tip down. Not sure if widening the feed lips at the rear to allow the top round to sit a little higher would help here or not.

Video: https://www.facebook.com/brad.holt.9...7226060328155/

Thanks for the response J Baker. I just don't feel comfortable altering the magazine - I'm hoping this is addressed by Savage - I will contact them tomorrow.

(Can't see facebook link)

I bought a box of the Winchester 145 gr bullets and it's still jamming up.

I have the exact issue where the next round nosedives into the magazine - happens after the first round is moved forward (every time). After inspecting the bullets, I can see where the bullet tip is 'rubbed' and on some bullets the casing has been slightly indented.

I own 2 other Savage guns and they are fantastic - I hope the customer service is helpful cause this is the perfect gun for my hunting environment.

Are these feeding issues confined to the 350 Legend Hog Hunters? I’m considering a 110 Hog Hunter in .308, and would be interested to know if the feeding issues are cartridge specific (.350 Legend in a .223 mag), or prevalent across the 110 platform?

308's feed fine in my experience.