Thread: 6.5 prc what mag for this round long or short action

Basic Member

6.5 prc what mag for this round long or short action

I have the Magnum bolt face for the bolt . I am wondering if I need long action or short for this cartridge. I will order stock accordingly . My question is what type mag do I need or will it fit in what I have . I have a short action and a long action mag for this rifle . I also currently have two trigger guards long and short .

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdombuilder View Post
    I have the Magnum bolt face for the bolt . I am wondering if I need long action or short for this cartridge. I will order stock accordingly . My question is what type mag do I need or will it fit in what I have . I have a short action and a long action mag for this rifle . I also currently have two trigger guards long and short .
    I just did a quick google and it looks like LA is the common.. I'm getting ready to build 6mm creedmoor( have not 100% committed to it yet) I've actually thought about wildcat of a 22-250 Ackley improved into a 6mm.. the local gunsmith here is actually excited to see me do it and said he would help with the chamber and bore.. I would like to find a descent donor barrel, dont want to do it to my shilen because it's nowhere near worn out.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Can I ask why not go with a 6.5 Sherman based on the 06? No questions on what will and won't work and I asume you will had load anyway if you are shooting a prc. And if you get a 6.5 creedmoor you can have the barrel rechambered to the Sherman and swap everything over to the long action set up. just an idea.

Basic Member
    I wonder how many of these 6 and 6.5mm cartridges will be around in 10 more years.

Basic Member
    Oal is 2.955 i believe. Depending if you want to run factory ammo like that or do any longer throat chambers and seat bullets longer, you can go either way. My dbm 300 wsm allows seating to 2.97. So a prc 6.5 can fit it. Long action would give more options for seat depth depending on throat length and bullet type

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I wonder how many of these 6 and 6.5mm cartridges will be around in 10 more years.
    Well the 6.5 Swede is well over 100 years, the 264 Remington is almost 50, the 260 Rem over 20 and the 6.5 Creedmoor over 10 years. I used to shoot High Power Silhouette with a guy in the early 90's who shot a 6.5x284. With the newer high BC bullets it makes sense to have one for a lot of people. I watched a guy take a bull elk last year at 880 yards with a 6.5 PRC shooting factory ammo. The bull went about 20 yards and was DRT.

As long as the 243 is around.

Basic Member
    Every cartridge ever made still exists. My point is which ones will still generate sales of any significance.

The PRC was developed for one reason, the velocity spec in precision shooting. If they change that will people still choose to buy it instead of something else like the CM?

The Sherman is a marginal improvement on existing rounds, kinda like the Ackley series. Yep, a few people still use then, but, not many.

I just find it interesting how the gun buying public choose the cartridge they want to use.

Don't get me wrong. I have been through a few wildcats and will probably go for a 'niche' barrel for my next purchase (6BR), but, for hunting use I just don't understand the 'gotta have the newest whiz bang'.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Every cartridge ever made still exists. My point is which ones will still generate sales of any significance.

The PRC was developed for one reason, the velocity spec in precision shooting. If they change that will people still choose to buy it instead of something else like the CM?

The Sherman is a marginal improvement on existing rounds, kinda like the Ackley series. Yep, a few people still use then, but, not many.

I just find it interesting how the gun buying public choose the cartridge they want to use.

Don't get me wrong. I have been through a few wildcats and will probably go for a 'niche' barrel for my next purchase (6BR), but, for hunting use I just don't understand the 'gotta have the newest whiz bang'.
    It's just human nature. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it, just be glad the industry is still generating enough interest to drive people to innovate.

Basic Member
    What the difrance in the Sherman and the prc if you want to talk about the newest thing. The Sherman will always be for guys like me that like to hand load.

But if you don't that's Kool. And I bring it up mostly because the prc is normally built on a long action but can be built on a short action. Much like the 6.5x284. but with the problem presented about what mag to use the Sherman is easy. Any mag that will feed a 270/280/30/06/35 whelen will fed the Sherman reliably.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrythecableman View Post
    What the difrance in the Sherman and the prc if you want to talk about the newest thing. The Sherman will always be for guys like me that like to hand load.

But if you don't that's Kool. And I bring it up mostly because the prc is normally built on a long action but can be built on a short action. Much like the 6.5x284. but with the problem presented about what mag to use the Sherman is easy. Any mag that will feed a 270/280/30/06/35 whelen will fed the Sherman reliably.
    I have a closet full of reloading stuff but haven't done it in years. I have a friend that has a Sherman and is always building something new. He is a perfectionist and really knows his stuff and it seems he doesn't give up until each new gun can shoot in the .3's.