Thread: Boyd's Stock Advice

Basic Member

Boyd's Stock Advice

I'm going to use my .223 Axis standard barrel as a cost-effective way to learn precision rifle shooting in tandem with my 5.56/.223 AR-15 (learn same cartridge, two platforms), but I'd also like it to be a viable small game hunting stick once I advance in my "target sniping skills" to a larger caliber and fancier rifle (have you seen the Bergara B15 HMR... OMFG so sexy!!!). Do you think it makes any sense to get a thumb hole stock with this in mind? I'm obviously considering the Boyd's At-One stock (I mean... look at it), but for $60 less, I can have their Featherweight thumb hole stock and still end up with a nice cheek rise. I do think I need a more "pistol"-like grip on account of me not liking how my wrist is canted on the standard Axis stock, but not quite sure if I need this thumb hole design. Not too worried about reload speed as it's going to mostly be a bench and target gun. But, again, maybe a couple times a year I might sneak out and see about some squirrels to make some stew and entertain my dog ("treeing" breed).

My current logic is that I'm firing a .223, so recoil isn't going to be all that much and so the added control and reduced perceived recoil from a thumbhole stock design may not be necessary.

Basic Member
    Bench or sitting in a stand hunting is great with the Boyds thumb hole. Imagine walking through a field and you see something you need to get a quick shot off at. The thumb hole burned me as I had to reach around and in taking time and didn't get the shot I shoulda/woulda had with any other stock.

Don't get me wrong, I love the stock. It was my first for my 300 win mag and did great while sitting. I missed getting a shot while walking in a field in KY on a black panther that "don't exist" in KY. It's now collecting dust in the cabinet lol.

A .223 is an awesome caliber. It’s my go to.
    You can make your stock stock shoot just as well as any other stock.
    Depends on what your real interest are. If you want to learn to shoot MOA plates out to 700yds it doesn’t take too much gear.
    A optic that dials correctly and a bullet/load to get you there.
    I suggest a factory match 77gn smk.

Cold bore 500yds
    The wind is something that will always be the challenge.

Across the pond. I thought the pond wake and the grass would tell my story and I was hoping on a hit the first shot. I didn’t believe the wind and made another shot. Well. It was a 1.75 moa adjustment whether I wanted to believe it or not. Broke 2 12 oz bottles on the following 2 shots.
    A big piece of paper is always my go to for my DOPE. It never lies.
    Anyway with the wind it’s still a .6moa group.

That’s a factory gun with some shed work.
    It was professionally cut and crowned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My .260 Rem whitetail deer rifle is sporting a Boyd's lightweight thumbhole stock and I like it immensely. Very nice to carry and use. It is very stable to shoot from bags on a bench and also handy for one hand maneuvering when hunting and using the off-hand to set up a support or brace for a shot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191130_102947.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	564.7 KB 
ID:	6824
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Two words: Hand Position.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

My .260 Rem whitetail deer rifle is sporting a Boyd's lightweight thumbhole stock
    My 6.5CM also.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	6830

If you have not yet gotten the aluminum magazine clip...get one! Eventually the plastic one will break.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post

If you have not yet gotten the aluminum magazine clip...get one! Eventually the plastic one will break.
    I went with the E.Arthur Brown bottom bracket/magazine well and the 10-round magazine is a Snyder. He reworks a Savage stock Axis style (machines off the plastic clip) and adds a halved magazine from a H&K G3 (7.62mm NATO) magazine with some added reinforcement. The release is a push-button catch with metal return spring and MUCH more confidence inspiring.

I must say the original magazine(s) did not fail . . . but from day one I viewed that as a weak spot in the design.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Mine sure did when shooting at a range 60 miles from home. Not good.

Basic Member
    I wonder if it is caliber driven. My .223 has run over 2500rounds and the magazine is still the original. It will drop out sometimes, but, the latch has not broken. And I load 5 rounds in it a lot of the time too.

Could be. But the Aluminum is way better.

Basic Member
    I agree. If mine had broken I would not have bought another plastic one.

I'm uncomfortable with the plastic retainer that clips/holds magazine the mag in the mag well, so I always carry a spare mag in my pack, whether hunting or going to the range.

My "Work in Progress" lol.
    There was a warning note stuck to the inletting on the Boyd stock about crushing the stock if you over torque action. Crushing the stock can cause feeding issues because now your magazine is to far into the mag well.
    -I got the aluminium clip & front/rear pillars from > v3precision.com/front-magazine-clip-pillar-kit-savage-axis/
    -Metal trigger guard from Brownells.
    Installed front pillar, metal trigger guard & aluminum clip I can now 'torque' the action down reasonably well without crushing the stock. I need a drill/mill, to drill out stock for rear pillar.
    When I got the rifle, with original stock at 100yds, I was getting 3-4" groups with factory ammo, started reloading 2-3" groups, Boyds Stock 1-2", installed front pillar & aluminum clip torqued action, best 5 shot group so far 0.64", IMR8133, 117gn Sierra's @ avg. 3070fps.

Savage Axis 25-06Rem c/w Vortex Crossfire 4-12*50 AO

-Get rear pillar installed
    -Need to get a bag for the stock, can't get a consistent cheek weld with the 50mm optic.
    -Want to change to a steel rail and different lower rings.
    -Maybe 'bed' the stock.

Basic Member
    Did you send this off or is it a kit you buy?

I bought the kit off ebay. Comes with aluminum clip and two pillars.