I'm going to use my .223 Axis standard barrel as a cost-effective way to learn precision rifle shooting in tandem with my 5.56/.223 AR-15 (learn same cartridge, two platforms), but I'd also like it to be a viable small game hunting stick once I advance in my "target sniping skills" to a larger caliber and fancier rifle (have you seen the Bergara B15 HMR... OMFG so sexy!!!). Do you think it makes any sense to get a thumb hole stock with this in mind? I'm obviously considering the Boyd's At-One stock (I mean... look at it), but for $60 less, I can have their Featherweight thumb hole stock and still end up with a nice cheek rise. I do think I need a more "pistol"-like grip on account of me not liking how my wrist is canted on the standard Axis stock, but not quite sure if I need this thumb hole design. Not too worried about reload speed as it's going to mostly be a bench and target gun. But, again, maybe a couple times a year I might sneak out and see about some squirrels to make some stew and entertain my dog ("treeing" breed).

My current logic is that I'm firing a .223, so recoil isn't going to be all that much and so the added control and reduced perceived recoil from a thumbhole stock design may not be necessary.