Thread: Axis from Walmart into a Boyds

Axis from Walmart into a Boyds

Walmart has an Axis in 308 right now for about 249.99 last time I checked. Midwayusa has a boyd stock for around 266.99. Then I was thinking of topping it with a sofa 2-10 lightweight scope. All in this rifle would be around 750. Wondering if this would be a build that makes since or not. Really like the look of the boyds stock that midway has.

SWFA? Have heard of them but have never seen one of know much about them; though some reviews mention they are relabeled Tasco. Tasco being serviceable but "entry level" 40 years ago. Never owned one of those, either.

Hey, if it makes YOU happy - go for it. I put a Savage Model 11 in a Boyd's stock and I'm having a great time with it. Pillared, Accraglas bedded, metal trigger guard, etc. Just recently added a "customized" 10 round reworked G3 magazine for giggles. You make it your own with each customization you add. I could have just picked something more upscale off the rack - but what fun is that?

Will a deer be any deader than with the $249.99 version and a $60 scope? Probably not. But if you constantly improve the accuracy and how the rifle suits YOUR needs and tastes it becomes a project with benefits
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    After I found out how well my .223 axis would shoot I decided to put it in a Boyd's stock. After another year of shooting I upgraded it with a Vortex Diamondback 6-24 scope. Look at the Boyd's website and see if they have a stock you like better. My Boyd's pro varmint stock was less than $200. Got the scope on sale for $300. So, yes, about $800 all in.

As an alternative look at the 12FV at Cabela's, on sale now for 339. For the money, more rifle and better accessory choices. I have not heard of one that was not very accurate. If I knew about the 12FV when shopping for a rifle I would have one of them instead of the Axis. And you can get the same Boyd's stocks for them if you feel the need.

PS IIRC the 12FV also has the varmint accutrigger (1.5lb vs axis 2.5lb).

Banned
    Why not buy directly from boyds and customize it exactly how you want, lot of different options available

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minooka View Post
    Why not buy directly from boyds and customize it exactly how you want, lot of different options available
    right and probably cheaper

I see the Boyd's stocks on eBay all the time for $178.00
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    If you like the ones Academy has on their website (Classic, black Pro-Varmint, and the regular At-One), then order from them. It's slightly less for the stock plus free shipping plus if you use your Academy credit card you can get 5% off. Lowest price way to get one if they sell the one you like.

Basic Member
    I bought the heavy barrel kryptec axis 2. Good shooter but immediately got the itch. I bought a boyds pro varmint stock and had bottom metal installed. The stock was about $150 direct from boyds and $130 for the bottom metal. It was a fun projecting pillars and bedding. If I were looking again I might weigh other options like the savage desert tactical. The new savage magpul stock and the 12fv. The ruger american with magpul stock. You will probably be happy if that is the route you want to go.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanRedneck View Post
    I bought a boyds pro varmint stock
    I've got the black pro varmint on my 300 win mag now. I had the thumbhole on it in the color you have. Adv/disadvantages of each.