Thread: Magnum bolthead in LRPV

300magman

Magnum bolthead in LRPV

Here is a question that I've been trying to find an answer for lately. Can you get a LPRV action with a magnum bolt head?

I know thier sporter actions have the option and I think I've even seen a Varmint action chambered for 300wsm, but as far as I know they only offer the LRPV or Target actions with .223 or .308 sized bolt head. And I would really like to put a 7mm rem saum in there for 1000 yard target shooting.

One more related question. IF you can get a LRPV repeater action with a magnum bolt head, can you switch bolts, or bolt heads, to fit a .308?

Basic Member

Re: Magnum bolthead in LRPV

You can, but others will have to give you specifics. Some modify a LA bolt head to fit an SA, a very easy modification. I think Carvera has done it. . .

Romans 10:9 "That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

sinman

easy to do, just need a lathe to trim it down. Take a std long action bolt head and cut it down to size

You'll just need to be careful that you don't take away too much from the tail end, you could end up having problems with your firing pin even after adjustments are made.

Neal (358Hammer) has done this numerous times. I am certain he has all the info you need.
    More shooting, less typing.

dcloco

Just order a magnum bolt head from Midway (of the short action variety, if memory serves me). You will need to order the correct orientation...as in...Left for a left eject or right for a right eject.

Basic Member

I believe dcloco is right. If you get a WSM bolt head, the stem will already be the correct length for a short action.

Basic Member

Problem with a WSM bolt head it that is uses a standing ejector, not a standard one. If your action is not already using one, you will not have an ecjector without some costly machine work. That's the reason for modifying a LA magnum bolt head.

So guys don't want the ejector to work on target rifles though, so this is a non-issue.
    Romans 10:9 "That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

Basic Member

There are WSM bolt heads in both configurations. You can get them push feed style or controlled round feed style. All the new center feeds are regular push feed heads I'm pretty sure. Savage switched to the CRF heads in the stagger feed ultra mags and WSMs for better feeding but since switching to the center feed they went back to the push feed head.

Basic Member

I had a model 16 300 WSM for a while that was push feed and had the spring loaded ejector in the bolt. It was not a CRF bolt head.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by efm77
    There are WSM bolt heads in both configurations. You can get them push feed style or controlled round feed style. All the new center feeds are regular push feed heads I'm pretty sure. Savage switched to the CRF heads in the stagger feed ultra mags and WSMs for better feeding but since switching to the center feed they went back to the push feed head.
    You're right, I forgot they did the push feed heads. But you would definatly want to stay away from a CRF head, I think.

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember that all the WSM's are push feed now, greatly inchreasing the availability of those heads.

I do remember though that the WSM's had longer lugs, resulting in a need for a longer firing pin to get all the way through it. Not sure if this was a problem on the modified LA bolt heads. . .