Thread: Best .44 mag load for pig slaughtering? (Updated)

borg

Best .44 mag load for pig slaughtering? (Updated)

Just want to shoot him in the brains and not make a huge mess.

borg

Re: Best .44 mag load for pig slaughtering?

All I've got are 240 gr Hornady XTP. I'm thinking if I load them over Trail Boss it should get the job done without too much splatter. Sure wish I'd bought some cast rounds, but if I buy a box of them I may as well just pay to have the thing slaughtered. I think this is one of those situations where the best thing to do is load the bullets, shoot the pig, and let you know how it worked. I'll be sure to post pictures.

Basic Member

I like H110 with 240 XTPs at 1450 fps in my Redhawk. Never shot a pig, but it works wonders in whitetail. Tim

Basic Member

When we slaughtered our own pigs, we used a .22 LR to the brain. Not sure any .44 Mag would not be messy.

borg

Quote Originally Posted by LHitchcox
    When we slaughtered our own pigs, we used a .22 LR to the brain. Not sure any .44 Mag would not be messy.
    I'm using a .44 special with a hardcast SWC. The bullet, from a box I purchased 2 years ago when I bought the gun, fell out of a sidepocket of my holster while I was testing the Trail Boss & hollowpoint loads. I think it was a sign.

P.S. Many lawn ornaments died in the testing of my loads.

For years I killed 50 to 75 hogs a year and used nothing but a 22 Long Rifle.

tenwalker

My Redhawk loves 240 XTPs over "LIL GUN".

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by borg
    Quote Originally Posted by LHitchcox
    I'm using a .44 special with a hardcast SWC. The bullet, from a box I purchased 2 years ago when I bought the gun, fell out of a sidepocket of my holster while I was testing the Trail Boss & hollowpoint loads. I think it was a sign.

P.S. Many lawn ornaments died in the testing of my loads.
    Hard cast lead at low velocity (~600 fps+/-) should do it. Look at some 44 Russian load data.

Of course the others are right - traditionally done with a 22 LR (especially if you are going to save the head for all that souse/scrapple/head cheese type stuff).

borg

I know how pigs are normally killed. My .22 is in Montana and I am in Alaska. The .44 will have to do the job.

Out of a 4" barrel, the 240 XTPs over both 6.0 and 7.3 grs of Trail Boss are low enough velocity that you can actually see the projectile, yet they fully penetrate a 2x6" at 10 feet. However, the .44 S&W Special load won't be traveling more than about 100 fps faster, and with 240 gr SWCs there shouldn't be any expansion.

I'll draw imaginary lines from each ear to the opposite eye and aim for the point where they intersect. If the pig doesn't die immediately from the .44 Special round, which would be pretty shocking, I will shoot it with a jacketed hollow point.

borg

P.S. I think that 240 gr XTPs at 1450 fps would put the pig down hard, but I'm going to be taking a point blank headshot on the beast. That could get reeeeeeeeeeeal messy.

borg

Re: Best .44 mag load for pig slaughtering? (Updated)

Used the hollowpoints over 7.0 gr of Trail Boss. The pig died all the way dead. No exit.

Basic Member

So when's dinner?

borg

Last Saturday. Guess what? You can't screw up slow-cooked pig. Throwing it in a brine the day before and smoking it with a little birch bark just added a layer of deliciousness. Tonight I used it in a green curry seasoned with fresh mint. Fanfrickentastic.