Thread: 116 FCSS weather warrior tang gap question

116 FCSS weather warrior tang gap question

Hello,

I recently purchased a NIB 116 FCSS weather warrior in 30/06. It has the accustock and there is a 1/8" gap between the stock and the end of the tang. Is this normal? I did some research and found that the tang on this action is commonly floated as it comes out of the factory, but I don't think it is normally as bad as my particular rifle. Bought it online so I did not have a chance to fondle it and to catch that. During hunts its not uncommon for me to bust through some thick vegetation. In such cases normally take the rifle off my shoulder and carry it with the muzzle pointing downwards as not to get spruce needles and such into the bore. But now that gap in the tang is liable to allow stuff into the trigger group. I contacted Savage and got a reply about possibly sending it back, but that's $50-$100 to ship it to them and I'm not sure what they could do about it. Overall, the action seems to be sitting slightly high in the stock so shaving down the top of the aluminum bedding block might make it sit lower. I would like to know what folks that own this particular model think. I have a couple of pictures, but was not able to attach them.

Cold

Basic Member
    Floating the tang is normal for a Savage but 1/8” seems a bit much. One quick fix would be to bed the tang, adding a couple of layers of tape to the underside. You just need to be able to get a piece of paper between the action tang and the stock.
    This solution is a bit of a “rig” but it’s one that is easily reversible if your unhappy with the results.

1.) Is the rifle in question new? It seems like maybe you bought it used?

2.) You might call savage again or reach out to them, possibly you will get different feedback from another representative.

3.) 1/8” is excessive. It should be just enough to float a dollar bill.

4.) $50 in shipping hurts, but the cost to buy and replace the stock will be more. That’s if savage decides to replace stock. I’m not sure how to advise since Savage was as just sold again and I’m not sure how the current owners are treating customers just yet?

5.) you might give everything a very close one over scrutiny. That way if you find anything else it gets fixed the first time around.

It took Savage three attempts to get my 116 squared away. Original 116 went back and they returned saying nothing wrong. I was so upset I threw it in back of safe and didn’t touch it for 4 or 5 years. Dug it out, and decided to try again. Second time I took pictures and measured the “problem” and gave them a one page explanation of why it was wrong. On this second trip they decided the correct way to address was to replace the rifle with a new one. So I was out $ FFL transfer fees. The replacement rifle had accustock that would not center barrel in channel and bbl made contact with fore end on one side. I sent replacement back. They replaced the stock.

Long drawn out process, but in the end I have tack driver that will outshoot many customs with $$$$ aftermarket bbls. I just wanted a functioning rifle that everything was as it should be. I got that.

Is the 1/8" only at the rear of the tang or on both sides also? Mine is paper thin float on the left and right but may be near 1/8" at the rear. I never measured it before I put the B&C stock on. Both my 10's are the same as I described the 116 WW.

Basic Member
    Just out of curiosity have you removed the action from the stock and tried to reinstall it to see if you can get it seated any better?

116 FCSS weather warrior tang gap question

When I bed just front action and recoil lug I only tighten the stock down in the front and let the back float to 1/8” or so with the rear action screw. Let it set up that way. Then when it’s ready I torque the front to 65# and rear to 25#
    Seems to work with every caliber I’ve messed with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    As others have said, remove & re-torque the action as a first step. I tuned an accustock for a friend, the action bolts from the factory were "finger tight". The bedding block on the accustock is an "interference" fit, it is imperative to torque it down properly as mentioned above (minimum 55 inch/pounds for front screw and 25 to 45 inch/pounds on the rear screw.

Thank you all for the replies.

The rifle was purchased brand new, in box. I have not tried to remove the action from the stock, or check the torque on the action screws, but that will be the next thing I'll do. The gap up front between the barrel and forestock is is just as big, but the excessive float up there did not bother much albeit somewhat unsightly. The stock fit along the sides of the action is also not tight, while its not 1/8" wide there is a small gap through which I can see the aluminum bedding block below. I'll report back after removing and reinstalling the stock.

Cold

I took off and reinstalled the stock. 65 inch pounds on the front screw and 45# rear. Did not seem to make any difference. I saw that the bedding block has two rails against which the action is pressed down. I noticed that If I could file down each side evenly I could get the action to sit a bit lower which may solve the problem. There is plenty of room for that in the barrel inlet. Anyone heard of anything like that being done to an accustock? I figured if I send it back, that's what their smith shop would do, either that or slap the action into a new old stock stock if they have some laying around.

Cold

I would be very interested in seeing a picture of the 1/8" gap please. I'm out of town so unfortunately I can't send you one to compare. I bet I could force a real firearms cleaning swab (q-tip) or pipe cleaner through it directly behind the tang safety.

[IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Dont know what it is, but simply put thats not right.
    Remove from stock and try to reassemble

Hopefully it's not sitting in there correctly. Worst case may be a defective stock. Savage would have to go good for that, (you would think).

Quote Originally Posted by Cold View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    That is definitely a no-go. Dang....

I have the same stock that I took off the same rifle. I can send it to you so you can get an idea of what is going on so you have a good background story when you contact Savage.

Savage warranty should pay for shipping and replacement. Send it back.

Basic Member
    A while back there was a post about a blind mag that was not set deep enough. The guy had trouble pushing it in. If that is the case here it may not be letting the rear of the action set down where it belongs.
    If this is detachable magazine disregard my thoughts.

It is a DBM.