Thread: 308 to 6 Dasher input please

Basic Member

308 to 6 Dasher input please

can I make a 308 trophy hunter xp into a 6 Dasher and can I use the dbm . Do I need another type mag. : Will it fit in an ai type mag that is also an option.

Basic Member
    I haven’t followed all of the threads/builds in the PRS game but quite a few guys are running Dashers. There was quite a bit of making/modifying mags to get the Dasher to feed. You might want to search on accurate shooter forums or on Snipers Hide. I think you will find quite a bit of information especially on SH if you don’t get any reply’s here. Just a thought.

Later, Frank
    Barltein Barrels

Basic Member
    I just put together a 6mm BR. I assume the Dasher will be very similar. Savage sells a magazine labeled 6mm Norma BR and I purchased one. (Part # 107239 or 55157) I have not fired the rifle yet, but dummy rounds seems to feed and extract fine. I installed an Improved Extractor kit and I cannot say it was necessary, I just went ahead and did it.

Anyway, I have discovered the 6mm BR will feed from a .308 magazine. However, I can only put two in the magazine. Adding a third results in problems having to do with too much width of the magazine and the rounds bind together down in the magazine and will not come up. The dedicated 6mm BR magazine only holds three, so you are not gaining much using the dedicated 6mm BR magazine. And, if you single feed, you will gain nothing. Single feeding seems to be easy using either magazine, and perhaps slightly easier with the .308 magazine due to extra space up top.

As far as AI mags, I think you can buy a kit to go in them to help feeding. I have some AI mags (for a .308) and tried 3 6mm dummy rounds in one, but I think feeding may not be reliable without the kit.

Basic Member
    Thanks guys

Basic Member
    I'd bypass the headache and go with a 6x47 Lapua.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    I'd bypass the headache and go with a 6x47 Lapua.
    That would be a good one. Also the new 6GT which is suppose to also relieve the feeding issues as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortbox4x4 View Post
    That would be a good one. Also the new 6GT which is suppose to also relieve the feeding issues as well.

That 6 GT looks interesting, for now it will depend on the availability of factory brass and who makes it, Also, when will "pre-fit" Bbl's be available ?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter0302 View Post
    That 6 GT looks interesting, for now it will depend on the availability of factory brass and who makes it, Also, when will "pre-fit" Bbl's be available ?
    We’ve got a 6GT reamer and can do prefit barrels. If we have a 6mm blank all done except for chambering and crowning it.....time wise about 2-3 weeks. If we don’t have any blanks done then it would have to wait until the next run.

Hornady is making brass. It’s available as far as I know only thru GA Precision. There has been quite a bit of write up on it on accurate shooter.

Basic Member
    The only prefits we are offering are 30cal in 10 twist, 6.5mm in 8 twist and 6mm in 7.5 twist. Standard small shank and standard Savage varmint/target contour. Barrel will finish at 26” or less. We make them as 27” blanks. All of them have 5R rifling.

As long as we have a blank that is contoured and rifled we put them on the shelf with no chamber. That way we can pull a blank when we get an order and chamber and crown it in the caliber of your choice as long as we have the reamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortbox4x4 View Post
    The only prefits we are offering are 30cal in 10 twist, 6.5mm in 8 twist and 6mm in 7.5 twist. Standard small shank and standard Savage varmint/target contour. Barrel will finish at 26” or less. We make them as 27” blanks. All of them have 5R rifling.

As long as we have a blank that is contoured and rifled we put them on the shelf with no chamber. That way we can pull a blank when we get an order and chamber and crown it in the caliber of your choice as long as we have the reamer.
    I'll keep this info in mind if the OME 6 Creed bbl. doesn't work out

Wayne

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter0302 View Post
    I'll keep this info in mind if the OME 6 Creed bbl. doesn't work out

Wayne
    Sounds like a plan.

We have two different 6CM reamers. Standard SAAMI min spec and another that is basically standard case dimensions but the throat is what we call a med. throat length. It’s about .070” shorter than a SAAMI min. Spec. Chamber.

Later, Frank