Thread: Honest Opinion Savage 116 or Remington 700?

Honest Opinion Savage 116 or Remington 700?

Preface I recently joined group. Own three Savage rifles: Mark II FV-SR, Axis XP 270, and a MSR 15 Patrol. Looking at .300 Win Mags and trying to stay between $450-$800. Will be a field gun, so want synthetic stock and stainless. Right now even though love Savages torn between the 116 and Remington 700. I’ve been watching and reading reviews this evening. I do like that the Savage is about 2” in overall length. Pros and cons from those of you who own either model?

Basic Member
    Can you provide some criteria you would like the rifle to meet? Stuff like weight, aftermarket support, game being hunted, etc.

Banned
    Both are great rifles. And you really can’t be more evenly matched! I’d say go with your gut. I doubt you will be remorseful either way.

Then there is the Tikka
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Since your not immediately drawn to the savage buy the Remington unless you plan to start swapping barrels in the future. It will work out of the box without tweaking and is a better looking rifle in my opinion that being said I only have one 709 left in my collection. I keep for occasions where I’m invited to go hunting with “civilized “ people who expect to see a wood stock and a leather strap with a deer on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then there is the Tikka
    They get really good reviews most places.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    They get really good reviews most places.
    I’ve never really looked at tikka so I did a little browsing on the web. Are they actually $700 plus rifles or can they be found cheaper?

Basic Member
    I think the Remington 700 action is one of the best in the world so I bought one about 8 years ago when they built rifles that supposedly matched their reputation.
    The action was great, but the trigger and the stock were terrible.
    After spending more than $500 more for a replacement trigger and a stock, the Remington finally shot accurately enough to match its reputation.

I own 7 Savage rifles.
    Every one was accurate right out of the box and all out shot the Remington 700, even after its new stock and trigger.
    My most recent Savages are about 50% more accurate than the Remington's results.

I don't buy Remington any longer, especially after their quality control debacles of recent years.
    Reputations of old don't necessarily carry into the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    I’ve never really looked at tikka so I did a little browsing on the web. Are they actually $700 plus rifles or can they be found cheaper?
    Not sure of the lowest price but the resale value is higher than a Savage and it fits the OP's $450-$800 price range. The action is as smooth as butter too. There is an aftermarket if you want to go with upgrades.

The Ruger American is also a great low end rifle that shoots well. The bolt has some features found on higher end rifles. With the prefit makers catching up to the variety out there you have home built options these days.

Quote Originally Posted by CFJunkie View Post
    I think the Remington 700 action is one of the best in the world so I bought one about 8 years ago when they built rifles that supposedly matched their reputation.
    The action was great, but the trigger and the stock were terrible.
    After spending more than $500 more for a replacement trigger and a stock, the Remington finally shot accurately enough to match its reputation.

I own 7 Savage rifles.
    Every one was accurate right out of the box and all out shot the Remington 700, even after its new stock and trigger.
    My most recent Savages are about 50% more accurate than the Remington's results.

I don't buy Remington any longer, especially after their quality control debacles of recent years.
    Reputations of old don't necessarily carry into the future.
    Very good point most of my Remington experience is from rifles built in the 70’s back when the actions were smooth as silk. Most of my dads shot 1.5 to 2 moa though.

The RR and later serial prefix actions are better actions.

Basic Member
    Why not a Weatherby Vanguard.

The blasphemy in this thread!

Savages are good platform that are modular and lend themselves to home’smithing. But what they really had going for them at one time, ($ cheap) doesn’t hold true so much anymore. Unless you really just want a 116 I would probably shop around. Many great quality rifles to be had in price range.

Basic Member
    I own three Savages but no Remingtons. I debated endlessly between the two when I bought my first centerfire and the guy at the gun shop steered me toward Savage. Everything I can gather tells me they they are pretty equal and it really boils down to your preference. I do like the look of the R700 as well.

If you are open to spending up to your stated limit of $800, take a serious look at the Tikka T3X.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post

Spend some time with a Tikka and you'll wonder how they can sell them as cheaply as $700.

Facetiousness aside, Tikkas are great guns for the money. I really like my Savage rifles, but there are some shortfalls of Savage rifles that I can address with other rifles.

Basic Member
    I forgot to mention that Tikka rifles can be found on sale for less than $700.

Here's one for $500. https://lockedloaded.com/product/jrtxb382

I like the Bergara B14 Ridge. i would get one in a minute if the made it in a 280 AI.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    The blasphemy in this thread!

Savages are good platform that are modular and lend themselves to home’smithing. But what they really had going for them at one time, ($ cheap) doesn’t hold true so much anymore. Unless you really just want a 116 I would probably shop around. Many great quality rifles to be had in price range.
    You are so right when I bought my 114 classic years ago it was over 140 cheaper than the remmy bdl. Now with then 110 classic they are about the same

With today's aftermarket, modularity is no longer exclusive to Savage/

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    I like the Bergara B14 Ridge. i would get one in a minute if the made it in a 280 AI.
    You bring up a good point with the Bergara, which is an M700 clone. While Remington's QC cannot be trusted, there are several companies making M700 clones whose QC can be trusted.

There's no arguing that the M700 and M700 clones have the upper hand in aftermarket options.

I own multiples of both models and would choose the Savage 116 "bear hunter"model which comes from the factory with all the bells and whistles including the adjustable brake that can be turned on/off, over the Rem 700 every day of the week and twice on Sunday. It's a whole lot more rifle for the money loaded with what are aftermarket gunsmith only options for a 700. That and, the 700 trigger is crap out of the box so don't forget to take into account money to replace that. Savage site or not, It's a fact that the 116 bear hunter is way more rifle than any of the the 700s including the flagship 700 CDL SF and costs less to boot.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 12-24-2019 at 12:01 AM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.