Thread: Muzzle brake for/on a hunting rifle

Muzzle brake for/on a hunting rifle

I'm sure there is a litany of responses to the question about "What is the best muzzle brake"?.

I've recently been kicking around the idea of a new build using my 30-06 action as the base for a .280 AI because I just want something that will have a little more leg than my 30-06 can provide. It's also not very accurate in my opinion as it's "best" groups are only 1 MOA at 200 yards. I don't like the recoil it has either which I'm sure is adding to the accuracy woes. (XP package, stock everything... maybe 6 lb rifle loaded)

I want the .280 AI because I want something that is going to carry the energy (1500 ft/lbs) out to 500-600 yards if necessary, but still be pack friendly for when I'm hunting the timber. My desire is to shoot the 162 ELD-X @ 2900+ fps which is needed to carry that much energy at longer ranges..... With that being said, I know I'm going to have to brake the .280 to make it easier for me to shoot accurately. Or add weight to the rifle to tame it down some (maybe 9 lbs loaded?) My .260 weighs 12.4 lbs and I tried packing it this deer season.... It sucked!! and only carries 1500 ft. lbs to about 400 yards.

been browsing MBs over the last few days and there are so many choices out there I'm getting overload. I've considered Radial Brakes (for contour profile) which I like the looks of as it blends in with the barrel so well, but I also would be shooting from a prone position at 300-600 yards, so the radial is apparently not so good for that. The Directional Brakes seem to be the best suited for what I want to do with the new rifle (and reduce recoil the most), but I don't like the way they look and other than the APA Micro B****** most of them add 3"+ to the end of my barrel (figured going 24" heavy sporter on the barrel?) and want to keep it to around 26" total.

I've never shot a .280 AI or even a 7MM as the 30-06 had enough recoil I knew I didn't want any extra recoil.... Hence the MB thought. I've kicked it around and have gone back and forth with just staying with my 30-06 (add some weight to it & change out the stock)as it has served its purpose for me since I was 12 and most every kill I've ever had has been under 200 yards, but for the rare occasion I happen to be hunting more open country (and see the 300-600 yard shot) I want something that will reach that far.

So, I'm just looking for recommendations if anybody cares to share (aside from the "MAN UP" response) or has input on Radial vs. Directional conundrum.

I forgot to add.... I don't want to have to have a gunsmith install it either...

Thanks in advance and sorry about the book you had to read...

Ross Schuler's brakes have done very well on everything I put them on.

Ross Schuler's brakes have done very well on everything I put them on.
    Me too.

Basic Member
    Well first off, i personally think the 280 is a good choice regardless wether it’s an AI chamber or not.
    Ive owned 06s for most of my long life, but if i were given another for what i like to do, I’d choose a 280.
    That would be the only 7mm I’d have, any others would be larger bore diameter.
    That said the 06 has an advantage in bullet choices especially in the heavier sizes.
    And, I wouldn’t be ruling it out for longer shots either.
    As for the muzzle brake, i (personally) consider them to be a necessity for one reason.
    That would be seeing your own hits. Which at the closer distances wont be easy anyway even with a brake.
    I use Vias brakes on several large cartridge guns because that’s what my gunsmith put on the gun.
    I cant say anything bad about them, but then I don’t shoot from my belly while laying on the ground either.
    My son has one on his large 338 with 3 large ports on each side and that works very well.
    For prone shooting, that would be the type I’d be looking at.
    A friend/hunting buddy recently had a gunsmith thread the barrel and install a timed brake he supplied for $100 labor charge.
    He also turned the brake to match the barrel diameter.

Team Savage

If I were to buy another LA rifle, it'd be a 280AI. Does nearly everything the 7RM can do with less powder, recoil, and no belt and that's from someone who's had a 110 in 7RM over 30yrs. ;-)

Basic Member
    I just can’t imagine being disciplined enough to get ear pro on before firing a shot at game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wyosam View Post
    I just can’t imagine being disciplined enough to get ear pro on before firing a shot at game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Huh, whats that you said?

Basic Member
    Some tests on the effectiveness of different muzzle brakes - https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/...-test-results/

Basic Member
    I personally like the Area 419 brakes because of their ease of returning back to the same position after removal and re-installation. They also reduce felt recoil very well.