Thread: 1915 .32 missing part ID

1915 .32 missing part ID

Folks,
    I am newbie here and in need of some assistance /guidance on my newly obtained Savage 1915 .32 pistol. I purchased it to replace the one I sold many years ago, regrettably. I am hoping that someone knows the name of the lever ( indicator) that is missing, it's on the right hand side directly above the index finger. I have been told its called the "slide lock" or the "clip safety indicator", either way I am in need of one. I really would like a drawing of the gun showing it , but all diagrams I seem to find are for every model except the hammerless. If it's the "unicorn horn" of parts for this gun , I can understand, and I have access to my good friends' machinist skills and shop to make one, if the exact drawing an dimensions can be found, although I would prefer an original. I am also seeing that possibly a magazine specific for this model may be needed for that lever to actually be active? Any and all information is greatly appreciated, as well as any input as to how to go about preserving this gun ( do I keep it as is?, restore?, value of it in those conditions) . UPDATE- I thank everyone for the great information I have gotten thus far, and I will be on the lookout for parts as time goes on. My need for the " Slide Lock Release Bar" is what I am going to have to focus on for now. I am reaching out to ANYONE WHO HAS A 1915, that would be willing to breakdown the gun and take some photos and measurements or even a rubbing of the part for me. I can have one made if I can get the measurements. As for an original magazine, that too may be able to be made from a stck 1917 magazine with some machining from what I have been told. Thanks again for any assistance! Happy New Year to all!! - Dan
    Last edited by red71gto; 01-05-2020 at 10:45 AM. Reason: UPDATE for info needed

This may help - but the site is blocked from my work PC so I apologize if it does not.

https://gundigest.com/more/how-to/gu...tions-download
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

It sounds like you are describing the slide lock release bar which is unique to the 1915 and therefore a very rare item. Finding an original would be difficult at best, but perhaps not impossible if you have a lot of time and patience. Sometimes parts like this may be found on ebay. I cannot help with drawings and dimensions for the part. You are correct that a 1915 specific magazine is also required for the last round hold open to function properly. The difference between 1907/1917 and 1915 magazines is the 1915 has a small tab on the front right of the magazine follower to catch the slide lock and a short notch in the bevel of the magazine box to accommodate the tab. A simple Google search of "Savage 1915 magazine" will yield pictures that show the difference between them. Original magazines are available on the usual sites at times but they are pricey. Many that are advertised as for the 1915 do not have the hold open tab, so beware.

Thank you for that info!, I have searched enough already to realize I am looking for a unicorn horn, so patience is going to be key. I have a great friend who is a machinist, so that may come in handy at some point. I read on another site of someone making one from a .22 savage rifle part, so that's on the target for me to investigate further. I see the book on Savage Pistols, that most call the Bible for these guns, doesn't include a patent drawing or engineering drawings for the 1915 version,thus making it harder. I am hoping an owner of one out here may be willing to grab a dial caliper and make some measurements and take a few close up photos for me and help kick start that process. This is a great group and the site is very well maintained! I am going to enjoy this journey to put this gun up to the level it deserves and keep it in my family for a long time to come. This was the gun my Great Aunt used as her personal sidearm during the depression when she ran a boarding house , she was as tough as nails and had to back up her authority on many occasions- those became colorful stories she told us during my childhood! Thanks again!