Thread: Reloading the Sig .277 Fury?

Basic Member

Reloading the Sig .277 Fury?

It will be interesting to see if the newly introduced Sig .277 Fury hybrid stainless steel and brass case can be reloaded or not. At first glance, my guess is that it could be done with the right tools and techniques. The 80,000+ PSI working pressure specification definitely got my attention.

Pass.....
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Nothing new about that idea.
    Years back a guy by name of O Conner as i recall from NC was modifying cases like that and calling them steel heads.
    I think you can google (steel head cases) and the name will pop up.
    I have a couple cases for a 30x378 given to me by a friend who had tried them.
    You can unscrew the stainless head from the main body of the case.
    Anyway all those problems solved themselves when somebody discovered the Creedmore. Lol

Should be no different to reload - though if the primer is crimped as most military is you're going to have to drill or ream out the primer pocket. The head shouldn't deform so it will not need to be resized. Though my guess is that even if it triples the life you get out of the brass it will still not be cost effective vs. regular cases. The necks will still eventually get tired.

Now all they need is a action that can take advantage of 80,000 psi.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    I realize it isn't a new concept, but it appears they have come up with an inexpensive way to create the hybrid cases. My guess is that two piece threaded connection rifle cases were not all that cheap. If the idea takes off there will be once fired cases out there at the very least and possibly Sig or someone else will offer empty cases for reloading.

As for a rifle action to contain the 80K+ pressure, Sig has already built it. I wonder how the bolt face thrust of this cartridge with a smaller head diameter, compares to the bolt face thrust from a standard 338 Lapua? What appeals to me is the increased efficiency. I can't see myself buying the Sig rifle in 277 Fury, but I might be interested in a 338 or larger caliber that uses this type of case to match the ballistics of larger actions / larger cases.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geezerhood View Post
    I realize it isn't a new concept, but it appears they have come up with an inexpensive way to create the hybrid cases. My guess is that two piece threaded connection rifle cases were not all that cheap. If the idea takes off there will be once fired cases out there at the very least and possibly Sig or someone else will offer empty cases for reloading.

As for a rifle action to contain the 80K+ pressure, Sig has already built it. I wonder how the bolt face thrust of this cartridge with a smaller head diameter, compares to the bolt face thrust from a standard 338 Lapua? What appeals to me is the increased efficiency. I can't see myself buying the Sig rifle in 277 Fury, but I might be interested in a 338 or larger caliber that uses this type of case to match the ballistics of larger actions / larger cases.
    I haven't seen any prices on these where did you see them? Usually government contracts and inexpensive are not together in the same place.

Basic Member
    Some interesting comments from someone at Hoplite Arms over on Sniper's Hide:

https://forum.snipershide.com/thread...-fury.6976950/

And just think...Sigs ammo is not the current lead for that NGSW ammunition proposal, others are topping it by a pretty far margin.

We (Hoplite Arms) have been testing higher pressure cartridge systems for a couple years now in which we specifically designed a receiver system to handle and operate at the increased pressures. What we have found so far is at 132k we have no damage or lose of function with the weapon system, at 151k (failure point of the brass case) we had to cut the barrel out of the breech cylinder in order to check the bolt face...not even a broken extractor.

We are now testing bimetal 2 piece case designs along with some thicker designed RCC cases.

The pressure "limits" the industry currently runs at is decades out of date in regards to weapon designs, tolerances, capabilities, etc etc.....SAAMI has been petitioned for years to "raise" their scale but seems to like the 1940s era pressure thresholds....luckily SAAMI is a voluntary organization :)

-----------

And this comment that seems to indicate that Sig is not using a threaded joining design but rather an "internal clip" holding the brass to the steel, whatever that might be. I would like to see a case that has been cut in half lengthwise.

We are doing 2 "Phases" of HP....
    Phase 1 will be with normal 1 piece case designs but with thicker brass and lathe turned; not cup and draw.
    Phase 2 will be with bimetal 2 piece case designs that thread together instead of the internal clip that Sig is using.

Now that brings up a thought. To achieve 80,000 psi in a bolt action using basically an "improved" .308 case (same COL as the .308) with a shorter neck they must be using a much faster burning powder. Will said powder function well in a full-automatic rifle or machine-gun?

Anyone here old enough to remember what happened when the powder was changed in the Stoner designed "never needs cleaning" Armalite/M-16 gas direct-impingement action?
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Things got dirty, people died trying to clear their weapon.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.