Thread: Best for value .308W for a weight of around 150 grs

Best for value .308W for a weight of around 150 grs

Hello,
    New on this forum, new with Savage but not young shooter.. New owner of a Savage 10 FCP SR 20" scopped with Hawke Sidewinder 8-32 x 56 IR, range : max length 220 yds...
    After trying few ammos, the best seem to be Winch (White box) USA.. 3 shots less than an inch @ 110yds. Would you give me your opinion ?
    Thanks for your help.

Basic Member
    I assume you are looking for information on factory ammo. At ~150gn there are a ton of choices. If your goal is MOA then many will probably do that. If your goal is 1/2MOA then you should probably try some of the match ammo (not as cheap :) ).

You might also try different bullet weights as some rifles prefer heavier bullets.

For the sake of conversation, In my opinion, a ten twist barrel has a sweet spot with the 175-185 + grain bullet at 308 speeds. a 168 165 class will perform better than the 150. Hunting or target? If you are looking for a good ammo never think bottom dollar.

If you just have to shoot 150 class.............for target.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019874242

If you are willing to go up in weight....
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/ammu...ber_multi=2034
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I would recommend you try a box of Federal Gold Box Match 168 gr. That is my Go to round when evaluating the accuracy potential of a new 308w. If it is 3/4” or better I have always been a to improve with reloading for that rifle. Not that much greater recoil that the 150s.

luck with your purchase, Tim

Team Savage

What ammo options are available to you in France? Many of our selections may not be accessible to you.

Basic Member
    308 Match 168 grain BTHP Prvi Partizan Ammo will rival Federal gold metal match in accuracy. My chrongraphing of this ammo shows Less the 4 FPS deviation and it will shoot 1/2 moa out of 2 of my Savages. Since it is made in Serbia is probably can be sourced in France. And it is a lot cheaper in the Federal gold metals match.

Basic Member
    Twist aside and how the barrel is made put aside and just talking ammo and especially box ammo you are going to have to buy and test to see what works. Usually the better the quality of ammo/bullet will shoot better than cheap stuff but with that being said I’ve seen plenty of match box ammo where one lot will shoot under 1/2moa and another lot will only shoot 1moa.

So if you find a brand/type of ammo that works/that you like take note of the lot number and if possible buy a quantity of it that will last you for the proper amount of time that you would like it too or should I say you need it for.

Ammo quality is a far cry now a days from what it even was 5 or 10 years ago but it will still vary.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    What ammo options are available to you in France? Many of our selections may not be accessible to you.
    Excellent question, what is available there?
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Have had good luck with the Hornady American Whitetail 150gr and the Federal Trophy Copper 150gr. for hunting loads. That said, I typically find the 165-168gr hunting ammo typically group a little tighter from Savage barrels.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    So who makes Savage barrels?
    Savage? Or are they contracted to somebody like E R Shaw?
    I know at least for awhile, Shaw was building/selling guns with Savage actions.

Bebo welcome to the forum, just a couple of recommendations (1) 3 shots doesn’t really tell you much, 5 shots will give you more information about the rifle and ammo. (2) try some 165 Gr weight rounds that bullet weight will give you a ballistic advantage.