Thread: Where can I find info on Savage model 112 single shot?

Basic Member

Where can I find info on Savage model 112 single shot?

A friend of mine is willing to sell me the action cheap.

He says it's in a nylon stock and is currently chambered in .22-250

Evidently the bolt is blocked to limit rearward travel for the short action cartridge.

It sounds like an interesting project.

I have had trouble finding out when a gun like this was available. Action screw spacing does not seem to be listed in the FAQ article and I wonder if it would be compatible with the spare Accu-trigger I have? Is this going to be a small shank action?

I haven't seen the gun yet but I'm trying to see what it will take to make a nice benchrest style rifle from an action like that.

Thanks for any help that can be offered, I'm just not up to speed on the different flavors of Savage action beside the Axis.

Team Savage
    Take your ruler when you go to look at it. The true 112 Varmint Single Shot has the usual LA 5 1/8 screw spacing, just like all Long actions and is small shank. There is also a "J" action that is usually what the 22-250's are in. I don't know the screw spacing for them. You have to measure them. SN does not tell you a thing. They will have an after market trigger or the usual 3 screw. I believe it is quite a job to put a AccuTrigger in them. The "true" LA single shots are getting hard to find, I have two and would not part with them.

Bill

Basic Member
    Is it a current model? The only one I can find like that on the factory website is a 12 LRPV with left port. Not a cheap rifle.

Basic Member
    A 112 single shot could only be 1 of 2, it's either a first generation short action 4.522" spacing, or a long action 5.062".
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Ok, what is my best bet for finding a benchrest style stock for one of those two?

I would prefer a fiberglass stock with an aluminum bedding block, 3" forend and a flat bottom. I'm not afraid of doing some fiberglass and foam work for the inlet.

Is there any chance I can install my spare Accu-trigger on what I'm assuming are pre-accu-trigger actions?

I'm going for a benchrest rifle, not competitive benchrest so I don't need a 2oz trigger.

Basic Member
    If it’s the earlier J series single shot action...I don’t think your gonna find a drop in flat bottom stock with an aluminum block.

I’d say your going basically custom route. Manners or McMillan and they will inlet it for your action. The pillar bed it. Pillar bedding will give you a better fit/bed job then dealing with an aluminum block and any tolerance issues.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrel

Basic Member
    Good news, the current owner says it isn't a J model so I assume it's the true long action type.

Does this change anything about the possibility of swapping in an Accu-trigger?

Also, I see that some target actions have a third screw. Would there be any benefit to adding a third screw and bedding pillar? I'm thinking of barreling it like a Remington 700 with a shouldered barrel, 30"+ with a heavy profile, like a Sendero or heavier.

Last thing, with a true long action 112 single shot, what is the best scope mounting setup for single loading? Should I go for a two piece base and try to load with my left hand? If not, will a one piece base make right hand loading difficult with a rimless case that's about 0.550" at the base?

Thanks for the help.

Team Savage
    Measure the screw spacing, 5 1/16 is true long action. There is no "J" in the SN. If it is true LA then it is old and the AccuTrigger is probably not an option. Tinker with the 3 screw on it or get a Sav 2 or the new Jard.

Bill

Team Savage
    As far as finding a stock to fit that action, probably not much of a chance. Cu$tom made i$ an option.
    The back end of the actions are the same in the trigger/bolt release area so a wood or laminated stock can be modified. Just move the recoil lug area forward. Done a few myself with good results.
    Couldn't find a one piece scope mount in the style I liked so I had one custom made. Holes never match, covered the loading port, either too long or too short.
    Two piece mounts work but I preferred the one piece with the windage adjustment so I had one made. Couple of new mounts, cut apart, mixed pieces and re welded into a one piece mount where ALL the holes matched. Looks and works like factory made.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    The seller says he has one of the J model single shots. He called it a "silhouette rifle" and says the 112 single shot he will sell me is not the same thing.

If it's the standard long action inlet, I assume most stock makers will be able to make something work if they don't have something off the shelf.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyer View Post
    The seller says he has one of the J model single shots. He called it a "silhouette rifle" and says the 112 single shot he will sell me is not the same thing.

If it's the standard long action inlet, I assume most stock makers will be able to make something work if they don't have something off the shelf.
    The Model 110S (silhouette model) to my knowledge are J series but where all repeaters. Not a single shot varmint model. The did make a 110V that had a stippled finished stock like the 110S but not the high comb cheek piece of the silhouette model.

The 110S would be a nice buy if you can get it. I’m building a left handed version of the 110S right now. I found an original stock NOS and picked up a short/intermediate action 110 left hand and building it right now.

Team Savage
    "They did make a 110V that had a stippled finished stock"
    In the grip and forearm area only.
    Got one in .223, stagger feed mag, love it, it's been a test bed for a bunch of different calibers.
    Will own it till I die. After that??? It got me hooked on Savage and reloading.
    Triggers? Think Rifler Basix!
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

I have managed to accumulate four of these rifles over the years and wouldn't part with them for any reason. They are all J series, 4.52'' actions.Here are some older pictures of them.

.22-250

.22-250

.220 Swift topped with a 20X Redfield 3200.