Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shooter choice cleaning rod woes

Basic Member

i asked for a refund.. looking into montana extream rods. as they are coated spring steel

Basic Member
    I like the Pro-Shot micro polished rods. Just my 2 cents.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    I've read about coated rods peeling or collecting debris for years, yet none of my Deweys have. I do wipe the rod after every series of passes and would do the same with any quality rod. Only complaint I had was the earlier Dewey rods had a machined groove in the plastic handle for the bearings. I had one like that and so did my son, both handles have been replaced with the new style. I can spin the handle upstairs and it will still be spinning by the time I get to my reloading room downstairs.

Maybe next time I need a new cleaning rod I'll try a dual bearing carbon Tipton, and although it's simply personal preference, I don't care for their handle design.
    I’ve got a bunch of Dewey rods also. One fell over on the shop floor and got sand embedded in the coating. It cleaned up but took a small blade to pop the little bits out. Makes me wonder about the stuff I can’t see that gets embedded in it. I’ve switched to carbon fiber. Store them in a piece of 1/2” pvc pipe.

Basic Member
    i am sure the carbon rods work well. but if one snaps and goes into your hand its going to get nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb90 View Post
    i am sure the carbon rods work well. but if one snaps and goes into your hand its going to get nasty.
    What?!?!? It is not a carbon fiber arrow under hard acceleration from a compound bow. It is a cleaning rod. You are scaring me man.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    You couldn't break a carbon fiber rod without a hammer.....
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    What?!?!? It is not a carbon fiber arrow under hard acceleration from a compound bow. It is a cleaning rod. You are scaring me man

Well to tell the truth, that’s what has kept me from bow hunting all these years. Lol

I still use wood arrows (Douglas fir). ;-)

Come to think of it, the rammers on my flintlocks are wood as well.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Rodney Rodholder to the rescue. Yet again.
    The guys a wimp, He should be standing up holding the rod like a real man. Lol

For $hits and giggles I just took my Bore Tech V-Stix and rolled it across the top of our electric kitchen range (glass top). No wobble that I could detect, and sighting down it I see straight to a semi-trained eye.

Now, the old five-piece brass rod with rosewood handle that my grandpa (b. 1879) cleaned his .22 with that I still have . . .

Basic Member
    I guess auto mechanics could have the same type discussion over what brand wrenches should be used, and god help the poor guy who had a box full of Craftsman stuff.
    The bigger question might be how often do the things even need to be cleaned.
    I have stood and watched those guys at Williamsport feverishly trying to wear out their barrel with a cleaning rod.
    And most of them never win anything anyway.

Basic Member
    im sure the carbon rods work good.. most of the time. a quick review search on them show alot of them snapping or bent rod ends or the rod tip coming completly off. if you have had goo luck with em then great! but im not sold on the idea. i have lost a few carbon fiber noodle rods to a few big salmon n steelhead mostly due to a knick or cut in the outer layer. not puttin it down but i dont think they are for me. Plus they are made in the not so great country of CHINA

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    The bigger question might be how often do the things even need to be cleaned.
    Me Pappy taught me that the sun never sets on a dirty bore. Been my policy right along.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    Me Pappy taught me that the sun never sets on a dirty bore. Been my policy right along.
    That seems to be the policy many people have, but that doesn’t relate to the question.
    Small bore shooters tend to let the target remind them when it’s time to clean the bore.
    Im not so sure thats the wrong approach with any of them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12