Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shooter choice cleaning rod woes

Basic Member

shooter choice cleaning rod woes

so after 20 years my old hoppes 3pc aluminum cleaning rods have about had it. decided to join the band wagon and had my local shop order me in a 1pc coated rod. went with shooters choice for 1 there 100% usa made and 2 they are made in my home state. once i got it home and checked it out i had some issues, rod was bent and had pitting in the coating down to the stainless. called them up explained what i had found and even though i didnt buy direct through them they are sending me a new rod free of charge. will see how this one is when it gets here, if still no good what you all recomend?

I've had very good luck with my Bore-Tech V-Stix. Also made in the USA (Quakertown, PA).
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    I like Dewey rods

I have been using Tipton one piece cleaning rods. I have no complaints.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hambandit View Post
    I like Dewey rods
    Another vote for Dewey.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Another vote for Dewey.
    Make it three votes and I've been using them for a couple decades.

Basic Member
    I use Tipton carbon fiber rods and a Bore Tech Bore Stix coated steel rod. I can recommend both.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2905 View Post
    I use Tipton carbon fiber rods and a Bore Tech Bore Stix coated steel rod. I can recommend both.
    Tipton is superior to Dewey in every way.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I have a couple Tiptons and have had no problems with them.

Basic Member
    not to kean on the carbon rod idea. one nick in the outer layer n snap just like a carbon arrow. plus they will wear just like a carbon arrow, stuff is hard but once through the outer layer. ot scrapes off like break dust

Basic Member
    Evidently you've never used a carbon fiber rod before. I've owned at least one of every brand of cleaning rod made, and the carbon fiber rods have outlasted all the others. Carbon fiber will not kink like steel rods, which is very important if you have small calibers like .17 and .20. There is no coating to peel or strip off, and I've never broken one. There is no "outer layer", it is solid. The Tipton rods also have sealed ball bearings.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Evidently you've never used a carbon fiber rod before. I've owned at least one of every brand of cleaning rod made, and the carbon fiber rods have outlasted all the others. Carbon fiber will not kink like steel rods, which is very important if you have small calibers like .17 and .20. There is no coating to peel or strip off, and I've never broken one. There is no "outer layer", it is solid. The Tipton rods also have sealed ball bearings.
    If you spin a tipton and then spin a dewey

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    no i havnt, have alwaysed used cheap 3pc rods. like i said i just got my first 1pc and it wasnt good new out of the box

Basic Member
    I make my own out of 3/16 brass rod and wood file handles.

Basic Member
    new rod came today, as soon as i seen the package i knew it wouldnt be good. pulled it out and it was bent in a U. took pics of the box and rod, sent it to the company and called them. sending yet another to me

Basic Member
    Cancel the order and go for the carbon Tipton. I guarantee it will not show up bent ;-)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    Cancel the order and go for the carbon Tipton. I guarantee it will not show up bent ;-)
    as hard of a hit this rod took in travel, a carbon rod would have been broken. this mishap is totally on fedex and not the company nor rod. just bad luck i guess

I dunno. I could tie my brass Dewey in a knot. The Tipton takes some force without bending or breaking.

Basic Member
    I guess if a 3 pc aluminum rod lasted the OP for 20 years, it would be a safe bet that any decent 1 pc rod would be an improvement.
    Weve got quite a few Deweys hanging on the wall and have never had any issues with them.
    Still have a couple Parker Hales also that belonged to my father in the 50s.
    But just like anything else, something better is always showing up.

Team Savage

I've read about coated rods peeling or collecting debris for years, yet none of my Deweys have. I do wipe the rod after every series of passes and would do the same with any quality rod. Only complaint I had was the earlier Dewey rods had a machined groove in the plastic handle for the bearings. I had one like that and so did my son, both handles have been replaced with the new style. I can spin the handle upstairs and it will still be spinning by the time I get to my reloading room downstairs.

Maybe next time I need a new cleaning rod I'll try a dual bearing carbon Tipton, and although it's simply personal preference, I don't care for their handle design.

Basic Member
    The Tipton handle has a retainer that protrudes from the rear, and drags on your palm when push it because it rotates with the rod. I fixed mine by cutting the retainer down so it is below flush with the handle.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    i was raised around guns and taught by my grandfather. as wise as he was"rest in peace" he had that old school thought and simple mindedness to fire arms. swab the bore a few times and oil it and put away till next season. he took plenty of deer turkey pheasant grouse ect.. dosnt mean his method was wrong, but for us new age shooters and hunters it isnt perfect. for years i did what i was taught, all my guns shoot great and are in great condition. but as i got older and bought more guns and shot more than i ever have. i started looking more into a proper cleaning. old dogs can truly learn new tricks. like i said i have used 3piece aluminum rods for years but they are wore out now. wanted a 1 piece rod because from what i have read they are better for the bore. found shooters choice made 100% in usa and about 2hr north of me in NY state. 1st rod was a dud second rod was not there fault. they sent a 3rd should be here by this saturday. they have stood by there product and gave A+ customer support. if the 3rd rod is not to my exspectations i might look else wheres. like i said im new to this whole proper cleaning game. when i bought the new rod i picked up my first bore guide. i also tried a new solovent besides hoppes#9 (bore tech) and i couldnt believe the difference. i do thank you all for your suggestions

Basic Member
    just recieved new rod. packaging was perfect, but can spin it and still see a wobble in it. am i asking for to much? to me it should be strait as an arrow, even more so for spending 50 bucks on it

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb90 View Post
    just recieved new rod. packaging was perfect, but can spin it and still see a wobble in it. am i asking for to much? to me it should be strait as an arrow, even more so for spending 50 bucks on it
    Could it be that we were all better off when we weren’t so well informed? Lol

Great customer support does not equate with quality.(Thinking Vortex, except their higher end products) Two separate things in my mind. The damage could have happened during shipping.... exposing the quality of this particular product. I want my exposure to customer support between almost never and never.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast