Thread: Convert 110 Tactical in .308Win to long action 300PRC/300WM ..?

Basic Member

Convert 110 Tactical in .308Win to long action 300PRC/300WM ..?

My dad asks me if he got a "long action" 308, could he eventually rebarrel to a true long action cartridge.

Specifically, he wants to get the 110 Tactical in .308W w 24" bbl, shoot it out over a couple years, and then convert it to 300WM. Wondering if he could still mag feed the rounds or would hafta do single shot.

Would converting to 300PRC/300WM entail only: a) barrel swap, b) bolt face change, c) new stock or chassis to accept long action magazine ?

Does the action itself have a large enough feed port to accept 3.6" to 3.7" coal rounds? If not, could he or a smith just cut a larger port in the action?

I was looking at YouTube vids and the 110 Tac in 308 doesn't really look like a true long action. Tried to find specs but couldn't. Haven't called Savage yet.

Or would this all just be an exercise in frustration?

Basic Member
    Looking at more pics/vids, there is no way this 110 Tactical in 308 is a long action. Which confuses the hell out of me. Is the 110 Tactical a long action? They sell it in 300WM. If its not long action, don't call it a 110.

In the beginning everything was on a long action. From 223's to magnums. Then they started making true short actions and called them by 2 digit models like 10, 11, 12 etc.... just recently they went back to calling long and short actions the same 3 digit model like 110, 111, 112 etc...

Remington call there long and short actions 700. Identified like LA and SA for long and short respectively. So goes the savage for now.

I think some thought needs to be taken here. If he gets tired of the 308 and wants to go to a magnum in a short action he will either need to buy a SA magnum bolt or purchase the PTG custom bolt head. He would not be able to eject a live round so he would have to pull the bolt out to unload the live round. Why not buy a rifle for now and trade or sell and buy the rifle he wants in the future. MHO
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post

I think some thought needs to be taken here. If he gets tired of the 308 and wants to go to a magnum in a short action he will either need to buy a SA magnum bolt or purchase the PTG custom bolt head. He would not be able to eject a live round so he would have to pull the bolt out to unload the live round. Why not buy a rifle for now and trade or sell and buy the rifle he wants in the future. MHO
    I can think of at least 3 reasons, but no doubt there could be others.
    #1 it would be easy.
    #2 there would be no challenge.
    #3 It just makes too damned much sense to do things that way.
    BTW, are you still interested in those twin spotter pics?

Basic Member
    Question is, what's the anticipated need for the down-the-road LA magnum?
    ELR target? LR hunting?

You can always put together a LA in .308 by getting something like a used .30-06 and screwing on a different barrel- then swap out the bolthead and barrel later.
    But there's plenty of SA capable chamberings with enough energy for Elk as far as you'd feel comfortable taking the shot, and steel to beyond 1K.

The large magnums can be more difficult for some to shoot accurately, so unless you need all that boiler room I'd consider other options.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    I can think of at least 3 reasons, but no doubt there could be others.
    #1 it would be easy.
    #2 there would be no challenge.
    #3 It just makes too damned much sense to do things that way.
    BTW, are you still interested in those twin spotter pics?
    Why certainly!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    If it is a long action, as he indicated in the first post, then it would be easy to convert to a long action caliber and wouldn't need a short action bolt head as it already has a long action bolt body. I had a buddy that had a 110 tactical in 308. It was a long action as they all used to be back then. Just had a longer bolt baffle to shorten the bolt stroke and the rear of the magazine had a block to shorten the mag length. Swap the bolt baffle, and magazine box, and you have a long action. And you won't have to pull the bolt to remove live rounds either.