Thread: Impressions of Accufit for Women

Basic Member

Impressions of Accufit for Women

For a left handed 5’ 6” gal what is the impression of the Accufit concept for fit and stability (not a lot of flex).

Savage’s Custom Shop gave me a price for a LH wood Lady Hunter. For similar funds I could acquire an Accufit and scope combo. I’ve looked at Tikka and the USA brand. The LH Accufit seems to be the best value point and most likely to fit comfortably. Wish it came in 260. If I get thumbs up on the Accufit I’ll call the Custom Shop for pricing on a 260 Rem.

Basic Member
    I know this isn’t really the point of your post, but why 260 instead of the more available 6.5cm or even a 6.5prc?

Basic Member
    There’s always 260 ammo in the safe so I don’t want to add another 6.5 variant.

I have thought about a 25 caliber too. A buddy got a Christiansen 6.5 prc this year and dropped an
    elk Given my current inventory overall it will be easier staying with a 260, although I’m not a 260 Puritan. I have a 26 Nosler yet unfired. But no way I can confuse those two boxes.

Basic Member
    Fair enough, I just think I wouldn’t go to the trouble of having a custom gun built in 260 personally

People do crazier things to gain 50 fps. Savage is good enough to put in the proper twist (Remington again started off by shooting themselves in the foot with 1:9"), a magazine that allows up to 2.890" COL and a long throat so you don't have to set the VLD bullets down into the case as far. And you can hold a little more of any given powder with the .260 Rem (the .260 holds one grain more of water - not a big whoop from a practical standpoint).

One big sell point was that Lapua at one time sold .260 but not 6.5 CM - but now most everyone offers both, and several offer both small and large primer if you are so inclined. There is nothing at any range that will exclaim: "I do believe I was just struck with a .260 Rem as opposed to a 6.5 Creedmoor."
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    People do crazier things.... I double customized my 260, first through Savage, second through SSS. I learned a lot.

I can't think of a better cartridge for whitetail . . . though there are a dozen or more equally as good. ;-). I would have happily grabbed a 6.5 x 55mm but was thinking 7mm-08 when I was shopping but the shop was happy to unload an unwanted .260 REM they'd had too long with a couple goodies bargained in.

If I didn't reload no question I would have gone with the 7-08 or a 6.5 Creedmoor. The .260 Rem needs the love of a caring reloader to get it in the right shape. But as long as the .243 WIN is available you'll always be able to form a .260 REM in the press. .308 WIN needs a neck turning but works as well.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Team Savage
    I have a couple of Savage LWH in SA and LA with walnut stocks and a Savage with the new Accufit-Accustock. My understanding is the Lady Hunter was designed to a women’s fit. I like the LWH/LH because they have a lighter more compact stock and only weigh around 7 lbs total with scope and metal bottom parts. The Savage Accufit-Accustock is excellent because you can adjust the stock fit to your liking. The stock is not as light as the walnut Lady Hunter. Plus the 22” sporter barrel weights about 8 oz more than the LW 20” barrel on the LH. Therefore a scoped Savage with Accufit-Accustock is going to weigh around 8 to 8.5 lbs. I’ve noticed lighter rifles require more control than heavier rifles for consistently small 3- shot groups. The only way you will know which rifle and stock has the best fit and feel is to physically handle both.

Basic Member
    Thank you for the data points. Gander had a LWH but wouldn’t budge even as the lights went dark. It had a good fit.

Basic Member
    Turns out the 260 with medium sporter Brux barrel left a painful impression the next day. I’ll jump into the 243 and 257R debate when the time comes.