Thread: M12 Blind Mag -Difficult to load

Basic Member

M12 Blind Mag -Difficult to load

Anyone else experience problems loading the model 12 blind mag? .223 It's almost impossible to try to load round forward towards the throat then slide cartridge rearward due to space. So I try to push the brass through the feeding lips. Very tight.
    I don't want to tinker with the feeding lips and open up a new set of problems. It has been this way in the factory stock and removed holding it in your hand. Savage is sending a new one and hope that clears things up but concerned this maybe the nature of the beast.
    Anyone ever measure the distance between the feed lips?

Basic Member
    Mine works fine but it is a .308. I push them straight down. FWIW, I do the same with Axis magazine (that one is .223). Just push the cartridge straight down. I found it much easier than pushing down on the rounds in the mag and sliding them in.

Basic Member
    Like Charlie B says, I just push mine straight down. Make sure the base of the cartridge is forward enough to clear the 223 spacer at the back of the magazine. I think they ship a lot of rifles with junk mags. I had to get a new one for my brand new 10T-SR a few years ago.

Basic Member
    Thanks guys. I'm not expecting cartridges to fall in under a one-finger gentle push (uh um..model 700adl) but holy moly. Four fingers with gusto followed by a hard 'pop!".
    Funny, the leaf spring and follower was my concern as they were not pressed together correctly. With the follower on a flat surface, the leafs were at a 45 degree angle. Binding in the box.
    One poster whom I can't remember the name said it well as a generalization 'most accurate rifle (Savage) I own, drilling 2's and 3's and then I have to reload. '
    :)