Thread: Favorite Axis Review Rant

Favorite Axis Review Rant

Found this response in the "comments" section of a somewhat negative review of a Savage Axis 270.

If you get this kind of Axis review response, heeee maaay be an Axis owner.

"...do you really think the buck you just dropped gives a crap if your rifle can shoot 1" or .75 " @ 100 yards or it has a cheap synthetic stock or a trick trigger? Gun snobs have turned more sportsman into bloviating blow holes than you can imagine. (including, and mainly "sports magazine writers") The bottom line is a good quick kill, not bragging about how much money you have to blow on your weapon or trying to sound like E Hemingway."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Found this response in the "comments" section of a somewhat negative review of a Savage Axis 270.

If you get this kind of Axis review response, heeee maaay be an Axis owner.

"...do you really think the buck you just dropped gives a crap if your rifle can shoot 1" or .75 " @ 100 yards or it has a cheap synthetic stock or a trick trigger? Gun snobs have turned more sportsman into bloviating blow holes than you can imagine. (including, and mainly "sports magazine writers") The bottom line is a good quick kill, not bragging about how much money you have to blow on your weapon or trying to sound like E Hemingway."
    He apparently thinks hunting is the only sport and doesnt care that some of us want to drive it through the same hole @100 but he doesnt need to be a dick about it lol.. my brother is a hunter and is happy with paper plate groups at 100.. more power to him.. I want a bug hole at100

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

my brother is a hunter and is happy with paper plate groups at 100.. more power to him.
    Agree. God love em if it does it for them who am I to tell em different?

Few years ago a friend of mine had a sporterized 1903A1 that he was super proud of. One summer day he brought over a white Dixie paper plate a 3 shot group of about 3.0"....and says boy she shure shoots. He could tell from my lack of excitement that I didn't think too much of it and said "well you think that Ruger you got will shoot better than that?
    At the time I had a Ruger 77 heavy barrel in .308 that I hand loaded for. I said oh yeah. I did not rub the results in but he got an education. He has passed on now and I miss those days a lot.

All media has a motto. "We are not here for news, we are here for dollars. Now go sell advertising space"
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Simply people being what they are, people, humans if you will.
    Tollerance levels vary, even among close friends and family.
    I doubt that today many would venture into the woods satisfied with a paper plate group.
    But i well remember when that was acceptable for at least some, especially before scopes were the norm.
    But on the other hand it can also get a little old listening to opinions on how to best do things coming from those who have never actually done it.
    The very best in about any field you might look at, wont necessarily also be the most successful at what they do, including hunting.

But on the other hand it can also get a little old listening to opinions on how to best do things coming from those who have never actually done it.
    lol...I heard that!

"...you know like a not exactly doin it but i've a started and i thought
    to have done it i've a seen in the video and i feel verly confident with
    video and i feel a very confident with my knowledge i could a do it no
    problem then..." Father Guido Sarducci Ghostbusters

Basic Member
    I have a brother-in-law that makes noises like that. A box of 20 rounds last 4 years for him.

Rifles are just tools. And a craftsman chooses the proper tool or makes do with the tools available.

Sub-MOA is fantastic and never unwelcome. But considering I do pretty well with recurve bows and wood arrows limiting myself to 25 yard shots then ANY rifle with iron sights or, happy giggle, a scope, makes the task much easier. On a good day I can keep three arrows in a 4" group at 20 yards. Frankly I'd be disappointed if a rifle with at least a 4X scope couldn't do five in 1-1/2" at 100 yards from a solid rest (I can do that with my iron-sighted Mosin-Nagant M91/30 if I work hard at it). But even better is one that does it consistently in all weather conditions and without feed failures or bolt-jams with gloves and bulky clothes on.

But then if someone wants to throw a .375 H&H double rifle that will only do 2" at 100 yards my way I promise not to set it out at the curb next trash day.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

But then if someone wants to throw a .375 H&H double rifle that will only do 2" at 100 yards my way I promise not to set it out at the curb next trash day.
    I can see that.