Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Model 11, 260 Remington on the way

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    Glad to hear you got the beast tamed. Nice set-up. Clean lines.

What velocity are you getting with the 129gr and RL-16? I'm going to chronograph my 130 gr & RL-19 load when I get a half day to myself.
    Average velocity is 2747 FPS. I tried increasing the powder charge and the groups went to crap.

Good to know. I settled on a load at the end of last summer to get me through deer season but I was by no means done fine tuning it.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Banned
    Great story houser52! I enjoyed reading your endeavor very much. Thank you for sharing. I’ve been a Savage guy since my first bought rifle at 18 with my own money. Have owned several in the many years since. Now I build them.

My current rig I purchased used, years ago...a Model 10 in 243. I immediately stripped it to bare action and built from the ground up. When I built mine, 6.5 Creedmoor was an up & comer, next to the proven 260 Rem. I chose 260 and haven’t looked back! I love what ya can do with one of these. I took a used 10 I picked up for $170, and turned it into long range beast, with one of the best custom Accutriggers one’s likely to come across.

Unfortunately I don’t get to shoot much anymore, being disabled and no longer driving. So I’m still establishing the best load myself. That said, it’s far more accurate than I, by a long shot! Currently I’m playing with Reloder 17 using 140gr Berger VLDs, 140gr Lapua Sceners & 140gr Sierra Match Kings(my favorite).

Thanks again for the thread sir. Great looking set up you have, and great results.

I use the Federal Premium .260 Rem with the 142 gr MatchKing for my baseline. When I come up with an occasional reload recipe more accurate than that I'm a happy camper.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    There ya go...
    Certainly nothing wrong with that level of accuracy from a factory barrel.
    You might consider the quick and easy task of bedding just the recoil lug; can't recall whether the B&C stocks are "overcut" for aftermarket lugs in the bedding block.

Banned
    Occasional? Some very simple case prep will in normal circumstances, produce more consistent ammunition.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    There ya go...
    Certainly nothing wrong with that level of accuracy from a factory barrel.
    You might consider the quick and easy task of bedding just the recoil lug; can't recall whether the B&C stocks are "overcut" for aftermarket lugs in the bedding block.
    Thanks.
    By the term "overcut" I assume that you mean that the area where the recoil lug seats is bigger than the lug itself? If that's the case yes, it's quite a bit bigger than the recoil lug with a lot of room.

Do you think bedding just the lug would shrink groups even more? I'm comfortable building AR rifles but have never done any bedding on bolt guns.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by houser52 View Post
    Thanks.
    By the term "overcut" I assume that you mean that the area where the recoil lug seats is bigger than the lug itself? If that's the case yes, it's quite a bit bigger than the recoil lug with a lot of room.

Do you think bedding just the lug would shrink groups even more? I'm comfortable building AR rifles but have never done any bedding on bolt guns.

Bedding is very easy. Get a good 2-part epoxy, tape off coat with release agent anything you DONT want stuck, put the putty down and press the action firmly into place & wipe off excess that oozes out. Let cure for 24 hours.

That said, I don’t believe bedding helps with aftermarket stocks with an Aluminum reinforcement bed. Those act as a chassis almost. And it’s the same with those. You don’t bed a chassis. Likewise I don’t think any gains are achieved with bedding a stock with aluminum block.

You said you are seeing .7moa now. I would say that is pretty darn good for a factory barrel.

Basic Member
    I got to stretch the legs of the 260 a little bit yesterday.

When checking the cows and pasture fences each day I always carry a rifle and yesterday was no exception but I had the Savage with me this time. After feeding 2 rolls of hay to the cows, I made my regular rounds checking the 2 miles of perimeter fence and everything was good.

A few weeks ago I had set up a 6" steel target against the side of a hill which I was planning on doing to practice a little shooting at longer ranges. Since I had the Savage with me this time I figured I'd give it a try. I drove the old farm truck out across the pasture until I ranged the distance to the target at 300 yards. I had printed a range card for my mildot Sightron scope so I was hoping I would at least be close to on at 300 yards. The only rest I had was a folded rifle case laid up on the hood of the truck but it was fairly steady.

On the first shot I held a little less than 1.5 mils high, according to my range card, and shot just a little over the target. I adjusted my aim and rang the steel the next 2 shots. The 2 shots measured 4" apart. Now I know that the Savage with the new stock has potential.

When I have a day with more free time I'll get serious and take my shooting table and rest. I have enough room to stretch it out to 400 yards and may try that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123