Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Model 11, 260 Remington on the way

Mine would shoot 1.5" to 1.6" five-round groups at 100 yards with Federal Premium factory using 142 gr Sierra Matchkings right out of the box (with a scope and rings upgrade and torqued bases and rings). That is my baseline for testing. Never better, never worse. But I bought it with the intention of putting a Boyd's stock on it and pillars with Accraglas bedding and I did soon after.

One thing I will say is that the sporter weight barrel mine wears has to be rested to cool down between shots. After the first three I wait two minutes between shots. Even free-floated full length. But I see you tried working around that. I tried adding "pressure points" at different spots along the barrel in the foreshock but that just made things worse. I torque the front action screw at 65 in-lbs (aluminum pillars) and the rear at 40 in-lbs. The hunting load I was using this fall was a slightly compressed Reloader 19 and Sierra 130 gr Tipped GameKing (2.835" COL) that would put five in 1.10" to 1.25" at 100 yards. I also noted that a 1/16" jump (0.0625") was more accurate than the 0.015" jump I stared at. I'm still working towards that illusive MOA and will get back at it. I may add a chronograph to my stable now that the Christmas frenzy has passed.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    After reading through your experiences, I'd have to assume the factory stock is the issue, especially since switching it out seems to have cured the accuracy problem......I had a similar issue with with a Model 10 in an older accu-stock. It would shoot 1.5-1.75" all day, but as soon as I put it in a Bell/Carlson, the groups dropped to .75" (and sometimes smaller). Probably just enough flex in the forearm to give you headaches.

Not sure how you supported your rifle over bags, but might try placing your front bag right under the front action screw......I have a Contender Carbine that is finicky as hell when it comes to front bag placement.

All that said, if you switched to a B/C and it shoots how you like.....might just call it good .

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJoe View Post
    After reading through your experiences, I'd have to assume the factory stock is the issue, especially since switching it out seems to have cured the accuracy problem......I had a similar issue with with a Model 10 in an older accu-stock. It would shoot 1.5-1.75" all day, but as soon as I put it in a Bell/Carlson, the groups dropped to .75" (and sometimes smaller). Probably just enough flex in the forearm to give you headaches.

Not sure how you supported your rifle over bags, but might try placing your front bag right under the front action screw......I have a Contender Carbine that is finicky as hell when it comes to front bag placement.

All that said, if you switched to a B/C and it shoots how you like.....might just call it good .
    Thanks a lot for the reply.

>I tried resting the fore end in different positions on the front bag. Front, middle, action screw and everything in between, made no difference.
    >I have not tried a B&C stock yet although changing out the stock on my Remington Model 7 did cure my accuracy problem with it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by houser52 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the reply.

>I tried resting the fore end in different positions on the front bag. Front, middle, action screw and everything in between, made no difference.
    >I have not tried a B&C stock yet although changing out the stock on my Remington Model 7 did cure my accuracy problem with it.
    Ahhh......I misread about the Bell/Carlson. Good Luck on this, hope it turns into an easy (and not too expensive) fix.

Basic Member
    Ahhh......I misread about the Bell/Carlson. Good Luck on this, hope it turns into an easy (and not too expensive) fix.
    Thanks. I sure hope it's the stock causing the accuracy problems. If I have 2 shots almost in the same hole then on the third shot it may be 3 " high and 4" right, something's not right. I have another scope to try to see if it's the scope however the Sightron has been fine on my 7-08 Rem.

Basic Member
    I swapped out the Sightron scope for a Vortex Diamondback and rechecked the torque on the mount and rings. After shooting another 20 rounds or so it is still shooting unacceptable groups with no improvement. I ordered and received a B&C stock that I'll put on it after I receive the "bottom metal". Hopefully it'll shoot better but if not the next step will be to glass bed the stock

Basic Member
    Before you do anything irreversible then I would look up Savage's recommended ammo and shoot it. I'd keep the target for record. If still largish group then call Savage. From what others have reported Savage will fix the problem if it does not group near or under MOA.

New Model 11, 260 Remington on the way

I’m sure you know and have read but this is my two cent.

With a stock savage rifle from factory.

Bed the front of the action and recoil lug.
    Make sure barrel is floated a liberal amount away from stock.
    Tighten the front action screw to 60# and the rear to 25# after the lug is bedded.
    Barrel needs to be shot 200+ times to settle a lot of the time.
    Or scrub with a compound and a brush.
    The aiming reticle has to be sub .5 moa to shoot sub moa, at least for me.
    I like to shim the slop from the trigger and get it to sub 2#

It should shoot after this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Thanks. I sure hope it's the stock causing the accuracy problems. If I have 2 shots almost in the same hole then on the third shot it may be 3 " high and 4" right, something's not right. I have another scope to try to see if it's the scope however the Sightron has been fine on my 7-08 Rem.

Textbook symptoms of poor action to stock fitment, and/or a barrel that's not fully free-floated.

Did you slide a business card down the full length of the barrel channel to check for free-float?

Basic Member
    Thanks hamilton and tobnpr. Yes the fit of the stock or lack thereof is what I was concerned about too. The barrel isn't snug in the stock (sloppy) until the stock screws are tightened.
    One of the first things that I checked was to see if the barrel was free floated. It was but I opened up the channel a little more, enough to slide 2 business cards all the way to the barrel nut.

hamilton- While I'm waiting on my bottom metal to get here I think I'll bed the recoil lug and front of the action to see what that helps. It's supposed to be raining this weekend and that will be a good time to do it.

Basic Member
    Change of plan. Bedding the factory stock will be put on hold.

When I got home my bottom metal was in the mail box. Looks like I'll get the action put in the B&C stock this weekend after all. If I get a break in the weather I'll see how it shoots.

Change of plan. Bedding the factory stock will be put on hold.

When I got home my bottom metal was in the mail box. Looks like I'll get the action put in the B&C stock this weekend after all. If I get a break in the weather I'll see how it shoots.
    I’m not to familiar with after market stocks. If I had to guess no matter the stock your action and recoil lug are not going to be a exact fit. As the gun recoils.. it may shift or flex, lack of better terms within where it started. Bed it. Or at least it needs to be on metal pillars or rails or a block. I’ve seen improvement even from skim bedding a aluminum block or rails “bedded” rifle.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    I’m not to familiar with after market stocks. If I had to guess no matter the stock your action and recoil lug are not going to be a exact fit. As the gun recoils.. it may shift or flex, lack of better terms within where it started. Bed it. Or at least it needs to be on metal pillars or rails or a block. I’ve seen improvement even from skim bedding a aluminum block or rails “bedded” rifle.

The Bell and Carlson stock that I'm going to try is synthetic and has an aluminum bedding block. The aluminum also runs up through the fore end and into the butt stock handgrip making it very rigid. I used the same model of stock on a Rem Model 7 with excellent results without needing to bed it. I'm not sure if this one will shoot as well without bedding but I'll try it then bed it if needed.

Basic Member
    I mounted the action in the stock today but haven't shot it yet, the rain hasn't cooperated.

I'm not sure if this one will shoot as well without bedding but I'll try it then bed it if needed.
    Good idea. Bedding on some stocks is way overrated.

I mounted the action in the stock today but haven't shot it yet, the rain hasn't cooperated.

That’s a nice looking rig!

Basic Member
    Nice.....Is that color brown? I just put a 110 Storm in a tan Bell/Carlson.

Basic Member
    Nice.....Is that color brown? I just put a 110 Storm in a tan Bell/Carlson.

Yes that's brown. I already had rifles in tan spiderweb and gray spiderweb stocks so I figured I'd give brown a try. Kind of color coded for different calibers. Lol

Great looking rifle Sir! My 116 WW feels significantly better balanced with the B&C. What do you think? Also, my rear trigger guard screw went in very easy so I put some blue thread locker on it. How did yours feel when you screwed it in?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    Great looking rifle Sir! My 116 WW feels significantly better balanced with the B&C. What do you think? Also, my rear trigger guard screw went in very easy so I put some blue thread locker on it. How did yours feel when you screwed it in?
    Hello.
    Like you, my B&C stock feels good in the hand and is balanced well. It feels a different than the original plastic stock for sure but in a good way.

It is a beautiful day here in NC with the sun shinning and close to 70 degrees. I like it but it sure doesn't feel like January. We need some cold weather though.

I took advantage of the beautiful weather and tried out the rifle with the new stock. Shooting with the new stock is like night and day compared to the original stock. It took a few shots to sight the Sightron scope back in but after I got it dialed in the groups tightened right up. I tried shots back to back and shots after waiting anywhere between 1-20 minutes. There was no change in POI. I think I'm going to leave it as is.

Hello.
    Like you, my B&C stock feels good in the hand and is balanced well. It feels a different than the original plastic stock for sure but in a good way.

It is a beautiful day here in NC with the sun shinning and close to 70 degrees. I like it but it sure doesn't feel like January. We need some cold weather though.

I took advantage of the beautiful weather and tried out the rifle with the new stock. Shooting with the new stock is like night and day compared to the original stock. It took a few shots to sight the Sightron scope back in but after I got it dialed in the groups tightened right up. I tried shots back to back and shots after waiting anywhere between 1-20 minutes. There was no change in POI. I think I'm going to leave it as is.

You have a winner Sir. I didn't want to muck up your thread with pics of my rifle. I will PM you pics when I get a chance. Again, great job and I'm glad you are happy with the outcome.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    You have a winner Sir. I didn't want to muck up your thread with pics of my rifle. I will PM you pics when I get a chance. Again, great job and I'm glad you are happy with the outcome.
    Thanks a lot! Ain't it a great feeling when things come together as they should?

Post your pics here. Everybody likes pics.

It makes me want to repaint my stock for the 3ed time. Looks “quite”

Basic Member
    SWEET....glad this worked out. After seeing your pics, I'm anxious to get to the range and try my 110 with it's new Bell/Carlson.

Glad to hear you got the beast tamed. Nice set-up. Clean lines.

What velocity are you getting with the 129gr and RL-16? I'm going to chronograph my 130 gr & RL-19 load when I get a half day to myself.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast