Thread: New Model 11, 260 Remington on the way

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

New Model 11, 260 Remington on the way

As the title said, I ordered a new Model 11 in 260 Remington today and it has already shipped. Hopefully I'll have it in a few days. I have have Remington and AR style rifles but this is my first Savage. The different Savage Models were a little confusing but the Model 11 was chambered in 260 Rem so I decided to give it a try.

I already load 4 or 5 different rifle calibers and several pistol calibers but the 260 will be a new one for me. It should be a lot of fun coming up with good loads for deer and critters.

If anyone can share a little more Model 11 info and what I can expect I'd appreciate it.

Banned
    Not to sound like a A-HOLE but dont you think you should have learned about it before hand

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minooka View Post
    Not to sound like a A-HOLE but dont you think you should have learned about it before hand
    Thank you so much for your warm welcome and your excellent contribution to the question that I asked.

I have one. The trigger is great. Action is smooth. Sporter weight barrel has good balance and decent accuracy. Cartridge is great for 400lb/ medium size game on down. (Bell shot hundreds of elephants with a 6.5mm x 54mm so some may argue it can handle most game). It's a pleasure to shoot and very mild recoil. Synthetic stock was replaced almost immediately (which was my plan from the start). It's a well proven design. Can't say I'm a great fan of the "new" Axis style magazine with plastic loop catch, but then again it seems to be working fine.

I'm having good accuracy with the 130 gr Sierra Tipped GameChanger, 140 gr Sierra MatchKing and 143 gr Hornady ELD-X. Savage was thoughtful to use a 1:8" twist for the VLD style bullets and the magazine is long enough to seat them well past the 2.800" SAAMI spec.

H4350 and Reloader 19 are great powders for reloading.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    I have one. The trigger is great. Action is smooth. Sporter weight barrel has good balance and decent accuracy. Cartridge is great for 400lb/ medium size game on down. (Bell shot hundreds of elephants with a 6.5mm x 54mm so some may argue it can handle most game). It's a pleasure to shoot and very mild recoil. Synthetic stock was replaced almost immediately (which was my plan from the start). It's a well proven design. Can't say I'm a great fan of the "new" Axis style magazine with plastic loop catch, but then again it seems to be working fine.

I'm having good accuracy with the 130 gr Sierra Tipped GameChanger, 140 gr Sierra MatchKing and 143 gr Hornady ELD-X. Savage was thoughtful to use a 1:8" twist for the VLD style bullets and the magazine is long enough to seat them well past the 2.800" SAAMI spec.

H4350 and Reloader 19 are great powders for reloading.
    Thank you for the reply. A lot of good info and just what I was looking for. The reason I bought the Savage is that I wanted a good, accurate and inexpensive rifle to carry in the farm truck when checking the cows and pasture fences, a rifle that I didn't mind dragging in and out of the truck a few times a day.

I'll probably see how it shoots before I mess with the stock but I ended up replacing the stock on both of my Remingtons. Not sure about the included scope yet but I already have a Sightron Big Sky and Burris rings ready to go on it if needed. To start, I plan to load 120 Speer Gold Dots for it since they have been so accurate in both of my 6.8 SPC ARs. I also have about a dozen different powders, including RL19 and H4350, that's suitable for the 260 but will try RL16 first with the 120gr bullet. I look forward to see what level of accuracy it's capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by houser52 View Post
    Thank you for the reply. A lot of good info and just what I was looking for. The reason I bought the Savage is that I wanted a good, accurate and inexpensive rifle to carry in the farm truck when checking the cows and pasture fences, a rifle that I didn't mind dragging in and out of the truck a few times a day.

I'll probably see how it shoots before I mess with the stock but I ended up replacing the stock on both of my Remingtons. Not sure about the included scope yet but I already have a Sightron Big Sky and Burris rings ready to go on it if needed. To start, I plan to load 120 Speer Gold Dots for it since they have been so accurate in both of my 6.8 SPC ARs. I also have about a dozen different powders, including RL19 and H4350, that's suitable for the 260 but will try RL16 first with the 120gr bullet. I look forward to see what level of accuracy it's capable of.
    I'd go with the H4350 first with the lighter 120 grain pills. Reloader powders burns "dirty" which can carbon up your barrel pretty fast, which can effect your accuracy in a new Savage barrel (which takes a few hundred rounds to settle in and start shooting better) could hurt your accuracy.

Put that Sightron on there ASAP... It will be way better than anything that comes in/on the package.

All my centerfires wear Burris steel rings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Sounds like a nice setup, and, I second the notion of immediately replacing the scope. If nothing else you need to remove the stock scope to check the mounting screws anyway so just put yours on there when you do.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Sounds like a nice setup, and, I second the notion of immediately replacing the scope. If nothing else you need to remove the stock scope to check the mounting screws anyway so just put yours on there when you do.
    Most of those scopes are garbage anyway . I hear they have improved them though

Very Nice, share some pics when you get it

I've had 4 different Savage Rifles, 7mm mag, .270 win, .308, 30-06.. all were older models.. Great shooters. out of the Box accuracy was fantastic.. I love a Savage..I replaced the triggers in my with after market basix sav 2 trigger,, I like a light trigger.. Good luck on your New Rifle.. Let us know how it shoots

Basic Member
    I picked up my new 260, Savage 11 late yesterday. The rifle looked good and I didn't notice any flaws on any of the metal. I cleaned the bore with Bore Tech Eliminator and followed with a light coat of FP10 oil.

Today I removed the action from the factory synthetic stock, cleaned then applied a light film of FP-10 oil to all of the metal, reinstalled the factory stock and torqued both screws to 35 in/pounds. Then I removed the included Bushnell scope, bases/ rings and installed a one piece EGW picatinny rail, Burris Signature Zee rings and a Sightron Big Sky 3-12x42 scope, torquing all screws to the recommended in/pounds.

Ive also prepped some Starline brass and ready to load. All I need now is some decent weather so I can load and shoot some.

I'll try to post a few pics when I take it to the bench.

Shoot well!

Basic Member
    Nice choice, Hauser52. I am searching for a left hand Savage in 6,5x55 Swede, a ballistic twin to your rifle. I just like the older cartridges, there isn't any thing wrong with your 260 Remington, or the 6.5 Creedmoor, all 3 are good hunting rounds. The 6.5 Creed may be better for long range target, but that is not what I am about. The Swede has a little more powder room, so it can launch a 160 grain bullet if I want or need that.

Good shooting!

Basic Member
    Only "downside" to the .260 is that in a SA, there can be issues with OAL if loading heavy VLD's. This is where the Creedmoor has it's (only) advantage.
    My Savage 11 (built on a varmint SA, in an AICS) requires single loading 140 VLD's. It's a target stick, so it's no big issue; could solve it with Wyatt's extended mags.

Building another now on an M700, I've already milled the action out for the Wyatt's extended internal box mag (hunting rifle, no DBM).

Quote Originally Posted by rifrench View Post
    Nice choice, Hauser52. I am searching for a left hand Savage in 6,5x55 Swede, a ballistic twin to your rifle. I just like the older cartridges, there isn't any thing wrong with your 260 Remington, or the 6.5 Creedmoor, all 3 are good hunting rounds. The 6.5 Creed may be better for long range target, but that is not what I am about. The Swede has a little more powder room, so it can launch a 160 grain bullet if I want or need that.

Good shooting!
    I've got a good load worked up for a 156 gr Norma Oryx for my .260 Rem with H4891SC in case I ever find a moose. No reason the .260 Rem can't get there with 160 gr bullets. At least in the Savage throat and magazine.

Heavier the bullet the less powder you can load . . . so it all works out.

New Model 11, 260 Remington on the way

I’m sure you know and have read but this is my two cent.

With a stock savage rifle from factory.

Bed the front of the action and recoil lug.
    Make sure barrel is floated a liberal amount away from stock.
    Tighten the front action screw to 60# and the rear to 25# after the lug is bedded.
    Barrel needs to be shot 200+ times to settle a lot of the time.
    Or scrub with a compound and a brush.
    The aiming reticle has to be sub .5 moa to shoot sub moa, at least for me.
    I like to shim the slop from the trigger and get it to sub 2#

It should shoot after this.

It makes me want to repaint my stock for the 3ed time. Looks “quite”

Basic Member
    SWEET....glad this worked out. After seeing your pics, I'm anxious to get to the range and try my 110 with it's new Bell/Carlson.

Glad to hear you got the beast tamed. Nice set-up. Clean lines.

What velocity are you getting with the 129gr and RL-16? I'm going to chronograph my 130 gr & RL-19 load when I get a half day to myself.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    Glad to hear you got the beast tamed. Nice set-up. Clean lines.

What velocity are you getting with the 129gr and RL-16? I'm going to chronograph my 130 gr & RL-19 load when I get a half day to myself.
    Average velocity is 2747 FPS. I tried increasing the powder charge and the groups went to crap.

Good to know. I settled on a load at the end of last summer to get me through deer season but I was by no means done fine tuning it.