Thread: Sad day for Pac-Nor barrels

Basic Member

Sad day for Pac-Nor barrels

Basic Member
    Wow! Glad everyone was safe.
    Thanks for posting
    Jack

Truly a sad day for one of the finest barrel makers there is. What a tragedy for all the employees as well.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

For everyone’s sake, let’s hope they find a path to rebuild and get going again.

Rebuilding the building is the easy part, it's finding replacement machinery and tooling that's the costly and difficult part. At 66 years old and eligible to retire and draw SS, I have a feeling Chis will likely take the insurance money and retire. I don't know many people who at that age would want to try to build or rebuild from scratch like they're going to have to. Sucks for the employees, but I'm sure Chris would do them right with a generous severance package out of the insurance payout.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Same thing happened when Rutland Plywood makers of those beautifull multi colored laminated stocks burned a few years back.
    The owner didn’t hesitate in announcing he wouldn’t be rebuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Rebuilding the building is the easy part, it's finding replacement machinery and tooling that's the costly and difficult part. At 66 years old and eligible to retire and draw SS, I have a feeling Chis will likely take the insurance money and retire. I don't know many people who at that age would want to try to build or rebuild from scratch like they're going to have to. Sucks for the employees, but I'm sure Chris would do them right with a generous severance package out of the insurance payout.
    Just a thought as I have not been through this one but in our region shops get flooded. They seem to come back online fairly quick. So how much damage was done to the machines from water or heat(how much fuel)? How hard would it be to rebuild the facility and get things going again...for Chris or someone else. I just hope everyone comes out a winner here.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Absent health challenges, 66 is still fairly young in today's world, especially with the experience from many years in the business.

My hope is that once recovered from the immediate shock, that he and the crew can band together and get started again, albeit with an initially less robust lineup of machines.

Basic Member
    Even if he does decide to get back in business, after a quick evaluation he'll probably find out that he was under insured.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JASmith View Post
    Absent health challenges, 66 is still fairly young in today's world, especially with the experience from many years in the business.

My hope is that once recovered from the immediate shock, that he and the crew can band together and get started again, albeit with an initially less robust lineup of machines.
    The (crew) are already in the process of looking out for number one as they should be.
    He needs to do likewise, and no doubt once the smoke clears out he will.
    His accounts are already looking out for number one also, and chances are some wont be coming back.
    The building cost would be the cheapest part, and he knows full well the cost of the machinery replacement.
    At age 66 there will never be a better time to think very hard about the rest of his own life.

Basic Member
    Tough deal in a tougher business. Whatever ends up happening, hope the owner finds peace in the decision. I also really like those guys, I’ll echo the great service and fine product sentiment. And also agree with Sharpshooter...there isn’t ever enough insurance when this happens and unfortunately the underwriter will most likely fight tooth and nail.

Further down the article it states that he has enough insurance and his son wants to rebuild, so they are going to reopen as soon as possible.

Basic Member
    Website says they are in the process of rebuilding. Good for them!

Basic Member
    And hopefully new build codes will not be too much of a PITA! After all, they were able to rebuild Steve Austin.....this should be a piece of cake!
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.