Thread: New Bottom Metal

Basic Member

New Bottom Metal

I'm hoping to attend a few shooting matches in 2020, and I'm thinking a 10-rd mag will be fairly important. As such, I've been looking over the options for new bottom metal and was hoping to get a few opinions. I've looked at Accurate-Mag, CDI and PTG.....bascially those items dominate my internet searches......any other options I should consider? It seems the main difference in the options I've listed are 1-piece vs. 2-piece design.....any advantage to leaning one way or the other?

Thanks!

I am unaware of any match where you need a ten round magazine. I dont even think XTC or PR will you need 10 rounds.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    That's a fair point, I'll need to verify the typical process. If I'm being honest, I looked through the local group's facebook page and most all the rifles photoed have an extended mag.....I just assumed 8-10 rounds/stage for time.

Basic Member
    I think that most of the stages at a PRS match have 6 to 10 targets, or that you shoot the same target from different positions. I have PTG and CDI bottom metal on Rem 700 clone actions and both work well- don't really notice much difference. The PTG holds the mag a little more secure but that's because the bottom metal extends out from the bottom of the stock and the CDI is flush. I don't really use the mag box as a rest or stop but if I did then the PTG would be better for that (but I'm sure that PTG has flush fit options also). Also- both of these stocks had to have the M5 inlet.

I just installed a Accurate Mag system on a Boyds stock that was inletted with the factory pattern. I had to do a little dremel work on the stock but that could have been the stocks fault and nothing to do with the bottom metal. It is two piece but seems to work good. I am only running 5 round mags with it because it is on a 22-250, and with the amount of body taper that the case has it lets the nose of the top round dive when loaded with 10. But with most rounds this wouldn't be a problem.