Thread: Savage 11 Boyd's Stock Question

Basic Member

Savage 11 Boyd's Stock Question

Ok. Before I get flamed, I have read all the old threads about installing Boyd's stocks on a Savage 11 with bottom bolt release. However, the one thing I am confused about is whether I have to buy the bottom metal and related parts (approx $150 per Savage) or is there another option to install a plastic inlet. I have read about both but walked away still confused. I have the Savage 11 with the plastic stock. It is the DOA model and I bought it 2017.

Basically, before I order the Boyd's stock, I want to know exactly what costs I will have to incur to get it to fit. Can I just order the plastic inlet? Is there anything else I need? Trigger guard? Magazine?

I bought a $20 E. Arthur Brown replacement. You may have to replace or shorten the front action screw. I think that depends which Boyd's you go with. As I recall I bought a spare and shortened it so I could always go back.

https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Short-A...l_p_14780.html

Though I must say that I don't know what the difference between the M11 DOA XP and just M11 XP is(?). As I recall the scope is the only difference. It would have pretty much been a "drop in" but I was doing a pillar and glass bed so I went ahead and bedded the bracket as well. Very snug. I put on a metal trigger bow from Gun Shack as that more or less becomes the rear action base plate and I felt it was an upgrade.

Side plus - I just bought a 10 round Snyder magazine and it snaps in with a minor bit of fitting on the magazine rim (Due to the Boyds, not the EABrown bracket)
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Quote Originally Posted by tb80 View Post
    Ok. Before I get flamed, I have read all the old threads about installing Boyd's stocks on a Savage 11 with bottom bolt release. However, the one thing I am confused about is whether I have to buy the bottom metal and related parts (approx $150 per Savage) or is there another option to install a plastic inlet. I have read about both but walked away still confused. I have the Savage 11 with the plastic stock. It is the DOA model and I bought it 2017.

Basically, before I order the Boyd's stock, I want to know exactly what costs I will have to incur to get it to fit. Can I just order the plastic inlet? Is there anything else I need? Trigger guard? Magazine?
    I swapped out my 111 XP stock for a Boyds Pro Varmint and had to order the bottom metal "for wood stocks". At the time I went with the all metal because I pillar bedded my stock too. I didn't want to go with the plastic version because of that (something you may want to consider?) but they (savage) did say there was a plastic version available for a little less than the $150 that the REAL bottom metal cost.

I just called them up and gave them the Serial number off my action and told them I was swapping out to a Boyds stock. They knew exactly what I was looking for.

Basic Member
    Thanks guys. Did either of you have to buy a trigger guard or any other parts?

I bought the metal Gun Shack trigger bow, but the original would have worked. The parts all interchange (came without the spring and bolt release slide).

The cheesy factory magazine catch (and magazine floor plate) is plastic and I figured keeping a plastic to plastic fastening might be better than metal to plastic - where the plastic would eventually loose.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Banned
    I called a few years ago about bottom metals and the plastic bottom metals were a lot cheaper, nowhere near what the metal ones were, thats the main reason i never got a boyds stock for my trophy hunter with the basic stock and bottom metals it would be over $300

Quote Originally Posted by tb80 View Post
    Thanks guys. Did either of you have to buy a trigger guard or any other parts?
    I got the trigger guard, mag housing, and the metal bottom plate that snaps onto the magazine for $150 (All metal). As Minooka said, That puts it up over $300.00 for the stock and bottom metal. I thought that was about right for a good laminate stock. As a lefty shooter I don't have much to choose from so that was the best option for me. Would have loved to get a manners or GRS but they don't make them for lefties and they're quite a bit more than $300.00