Thread: Savage 99's

Savage 99's

It's happening.. Two more today.. Will it ever stop? I picked up a 1899C in 30-30,, date 1902, and a 99G in 300 sav, Take Down.. 1937-38.. and I have a Sav 99E in .308,, Love these old guns.. Haven't figured out how to post pics yet

Basic Member
    I found you can't always get the Savage fix you need, so I had to diverse to old Marlins and Winchesters. It's an addiction and there's no cure, cold turkey is just lunch meat!!

Amen to that.. I have a few older Marlins and Winchesters as well..No cure in sight..

How many post before I can post pics?

What would cause a 300 Savage casing to show a deformation on the bottom 3/8" on the fired casing??
    1st- Hornady 150 gr SST
    2nd- Federal 150 gr SP
    3rd- Vintage Peters 180 gr SP Both the Hornaday and Federal casings show a deformation on the bottom 3/8" of the casing
    3rd. Vintage Peters showed not deformation after firing The ammo is to pricey to keep buying different brands and grain. The Peters 180 gr showed no deformation like the other 2.
    Im curious if the composition of the brass?

Basic Member
    I'd try to take a micrometer measure on the unfired cases then compare that to the cases that deformed and the Vintage Peters cases unfired/fired. As I remember, the case should fit in the breech fairly snug.