Thread: First time Savage purchase, not going well.

First time Savage purchase, not going well.

Hey everyone, I’m a R 700 guy that decided to venture from the beaten path. The kid abducted my rifle so I thought I would try an axis II in 6.5 C. Read lots of nice things on Savage now for a while. Avid hunter and occasional competition shooter. Purchased at Acadamy day before yesterday. Good price plus a $75 rebate. Happy until I loaded the mag and tried to feed a round into the chamber. First try was a no go. The cartridge stuck about 2/3 of the way in. Dropped the mag and removed the bolt. Use a rod to remove the case. To make a long story short, I was able after a couple of more attempts to fully chamber one. After ejecting and inspecting the brass I found several moderate scratches down the length of the brass. Took some pics with my I phone of the chamber, looks really bad. It will chamber all the way now but will not feed correctly with steady pressure on the bolt. I was hoping to use the rifle next week. I guess my only options are to send back for repair. Any advice will be helpful. Has anyone heard of this issue?
    thanks

Duane

Basic Member
    If you haven't shot it yet, I would take it back to the store and exchange it. I would definitely have a look at the chamber with a bore scope before I tried to chamber a round. My major question is "are the scratches coming from the magazine or from the chamber itself. One way to check is to top feed a round into the chamber and see if the bolt closes smoothly. If is doesn't with factory ammo, then don't fire it and return to the store.

Luck, Tim

Take it back and get a 110 in the same cartridge.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Quote Originally Posted by tiny68 View Post
    If you haven't shot it yet, I would take it back to the store and exchange it. I would definitely have a look at the chamber with a bore scope before I tried to chamber a round. My major question is "are the scratches coming from the magazine or from the chamber itself. One way to check is to top feed a round into the chamber and see if the bolt closes smoothly. If is doesn't with factory ammo, then don't fire it and return to the store.

Luck, Tim
    Thanks Tim,
    i have not fired it. Academy’s policy is all sales are final. They said they would sent it back for repair. I may go to beg and plead for an exchange but don’t expect that. Scratches are definitely chamber. After the initial round stuck I removed the mag and would drop the round straight into the chamber. Has this issue come up in the forum before or am I that unlucky to experience this issu?

thanks again
    Duane

Basic Member
    Savage used to test fire every rifle to verify function. Seems like a chamber issue like that would be hard to miss. It happens. Sorry to hear you got the lemon. I am sure will make it good.

I forgot to say it previously - welcome aboard.

tim

Welcome to the savage family.
    Ackley was right all along

Welcome to the Savage family. I feel your pain. I have an Axis that is having light primer strikes and am sending the bolt back to Savage.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Team Savage
    welcome

All kidding aside, have you tried to load the cartridge from the magazine by moving slowly?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Very possable that the bolt head is turned wrong, one way for short the other for long cartriges.