Thread: My first Savage video. Barrel removal and installation.

Basic Member

My first Savage video. Barrel removal and installation.

If you all approve of the content, feel free to use it in your reference section. I tried to make it very thorough and cover things I haven't seen in other videos.

Tony.

Good Job. This video would instill confidence in the first time barrel changer and educate a few that think they have it down.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Very well done....ptg bolt head info should be an eye opener for those buying parts for the "fun of it".
    Whether or not PTG added extra material for a reason they should positively inform customers their product sometimes is not a direct "drop in" replacement.

Good job ..excellent video to help explain the process

Basic Member
    Thanks for the kind words. Of course after filming, I'm watching it critiquing myself wondering why I kept calling the bolt head the bolt face.

But to the viewer, I'm sure they got the picture. I shot the footage maybe 2 months ago but hadn't had time to process the media. That and the fact that I didn't notice at the time that the camera was canted 3˚ during the opening introduction and it took me a while to figure out how to correct the rotation using Keynote.

I also got a new computer and wiped my old computer and the media didn't transfer to my new computer. I had to dig though my backup disk to find the media hidden in the files.

Tony.

very informative, thanks for posting.

Thanks for the great instructional video! It's very helpful.

Basic Member
    Nice work.....I saw this 2 days late (I swapped my first barrel Friday afternoon) .

Basic Member
    Great vid. Tony.....do you have a part number of the chamber insert tool.......??????

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by david12601 View Post
    Great vid. Tony.....do you have a part number of the chamber insert tool.......??????
    You mean the action wrench?

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/remin...ench&results=4

$62.00

Tony.

Basic Member
    Thanks. Tony

Basic Member
    Not a bad video! A few tips if you should redo it or do a update to it.

Use a torque wrench when you tighten up the action and or barrel nut and it wouldn't hurt to put some anti seize compound on the barrel threads. Especially with a ss barrel on a ss action. The threads tend to gall. It's not a matter if it will happen it's when will it happen.

You should remove the ejector from the bolt when checking headspace. Every once in a while it can give you a false reading. Plus it doesn't hurt to clean any dirt/garbage that can get in there as well.

Also remove the firing pin assy is good as well for the same reason. Having pressure on the bolt and how it cams into the receiver can set you up for a false reading.

We set bolt head to breech face clearance to .010" on bolt guns. Most of the time you can get buy with .005" but have seen plenty of guns set up at .005" and the bolt ends up touching the breech of the barrel. When this happens it will cause a binding situation and will have a negative impact on accuracy.

Use a depth mic vs. the caliper when checking bolt face etc.. You will get more accurate readings with the depth mic. You can use the caliper to give you a quick check and or to double check etc...

If your chambering a barrel and setting it up yourself you should remove the firing pin assy from the bolt and let the bolts lugs rest against the receiver lugs on it's own weight. Depth mic to the bolt face and front of the bolt body. Record your numbers and do the same on the barrel to set or double check breech length is proper etc...

You bring up a good point about checking the bolt face depth on the PTG bolt and Savage bolts to show there can be differences. You should also check the length of the lugs of the PTG bolt or any aftermarket bolt when your making a change. I don't know about the PTG Savage bolt heads but we've seen the PTG Remmy bolt heads vary/need fitting for them to work properly. This is one of the beauty's of the Savage barrel nut system but I would check the length of the lugs when using the aftermarket bolt. If they are longer per say it will bring the whole bolt assy. further forward into the receiver and closer to the barrel per say and could cause issues. Something to think about.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

Basic Member
    Thank you for the suggestions and info, Frank! I'm always looking for nuggets of info out there. I care more about my information being correct than being right.

I know YouTube has made some changes in their developer studio, so hopefully I can insert corrections without deleting the entire video and re-uploading. I'll try to insert those changes or make a supporting tips video. And you are right, there is the possibility of a stuck ejector and false headspace readings. I'm still building my business and my tooling, so I don't have a depth micrometer yet, so I make due with what I have, although I suppose I can insert a picture of a proper tool for illustration purposes.

Since you're a barrel maker and you barrel rifles, I outlined standard and magnum case-head protrusion specs. What about other types of chamberings for the other bolt head sizes? 223, Lapua, etc...? Do you have a recommended spec that I can include on a revised video?

I'm planning on doing a bolt disassembly video as well as a video on setting firing pin protrusion. I have a USGI GO/NO-GO FP protrusion gauge for that, that I use to check the M14's I build.

So many videos, so little time!

Tony.