Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Friday MDT chassis 3D printed furniture 6.5.creedmore build. Just because I can.

Here is the pistol grip monopod I designed. I got the grip design from a friend and built a press fit threaded insert for the jack screw. The jam nut is printed and it’s base is machined epoxy resin. I’m concerned about the longevity of the printed grip due to the stress it will see during recoil. I will probably end up epoxy casting it as well. The epoxy cast plastic is unbelievably strong and machines very well.
    I started selling the aics sleds on eBay and holy crap I can’t believe how well they are selling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member

Black Friday MDT chassis 3D printed furniture 6.5.creedmore build. Just because I can.

Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    I started selling the aics sleds on eBay and holy crap I can’t believe how well they are selling.
    I saw them on eBay stew days ago, looked at the username, then briefly considered coming back here to ask for the *.stl
    Model 10 FCP-SR | Vortex Viper PST | Schuler Brake

Basic Member
    I have been considering a 3d printer for several years now and final part cost has always been an issue, combined with print times and strength of medium.

The move to stuff like reinforced nylon and RYNO seem to make it more attractive, but, still not strong enough for some uses. And, like mentioned, casting in epoxy resin is very expensive.

Have you tried embedding aluminum structural parts in the print in some fashion? Like threaded inserts or rails? My thought was to print recesses for such items. Stop the print, insert the metal parts, then continue printing over them.

I haven’t tried placing reinforcements inside the print but can see where it could work. The design would have to be very high tolerance. If you wrecked the print head into the reinforcement it would wreck the whole thing. While epoxy molding is expensive, at least for now 3D print prototyping and casting high strength parts seems the best best. Although annealing some of the less dimensionally critical parts shows great results.

The thing I like most about this 3D printing/ epoxy casting thing is if you can think it up you can probably build it. I got the idea from the magpull add on base used to shoot prone while resting the rifle on the 30 round mag. I tested it out this morning and am surprised by how well it worked on my chassis with the bipod in low position. I casted the base onto the bolt and casted the threads into the sled.

The previous sled/monopod design was limited to shooting off a bag or lowest bipod position. I added length and more adjustment to this one. It shoots awesome. I’ve found the downside of using a butstock monopod off the bench is the depth of table required. No problem here

Banned
    I’ve been watching the 3D printing scene for several years. And it has advanced nicely. Amazing the things one can make. I’d love to get involved, but amongst my gun building, knife making & various little machining tidbits I do....on top of being disabled and the few hours a week I’m able to even sit in my work room, I just don’t think I would ever really accomplish anything. I have 4 different projects I’m working on right now even that I can’t finish! And desperately want to finish at least one of the frame lock folders I designed over a year ago, LOL!

Hopefully someday I can get to doing 3D as well. I do love polymer. Until then, I’ll keep admiring the projects you guys tackle. Thanks for sharing!

Basic Member
    Hi guys. On the subject of 3D printing, do you know know if there is anyone offering decent, snap-in, single shot adapter that will work with a standard Savage DBM with the mag release on the bottom metal?

Black Friday MDT chassis 3D printed furniture 6.5.creedmore build. Just because I can.

I’ll be been playing with one that snaps into the mag baseplate the problem I’ve had with 3d printing the plastic catch is durability,

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=ninner;467936]I’ll be been playing with one that snaps into the mag baseplate the problem I’ve had with 3d printing the plastic catch is durability,

Right on. Let me know if I could get one for testing. I'm thinking a simple sheet metal insert where the tab engages might alleviate any durability issues.

[QUOTE=quigley257;467940]
    Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    I’ll be been playing with one that snaps into the mag baseplate the problem I’ve had with 3d printing the plastic catch is durability,

Right on. Let me know if I could get one for testing. I'm thinking a simple sheet metal insert where the tab engages might alleviate any durability issues.
    I've only got a long action standard mag, any chance someone can send me measurements for a short action. mm's are best my printer speaks metric

The first attempt at a sled that will snap into a plastic base plate needed a little fitting and looks like shit but preformed well. The modified print will be awesome. Bad news is I smoked the printer main board doing something stupid and will be out of commission until Monday. Good news is I finally got the mold made for the AICS 3.85 inch sleds and they are bad ass

Basic Member
    That looks great!

This is the thread that started it all, I’ve sold over 500 of my cast resin sleds and another 100 or so printed ones. I’d like to thank those who’s testing helped me build a decent product.
    Thanks,
    Ninner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12