Thread: New EABCO T/Hole stock advice

Basic Member

New EABCO T/Hole stock advice

I was stuck between a Boyd's and the EABCO thumbhole stock and decided to go with Mr. Brown's version since it was already pillared and based on the reviews, Cyber Monday deal, should be a close drop in fit with the exception of the trigger guard.
    I must admit that I have really struggled with this gun hoping to get by with the tupperware stock. I posted in another thread a problem that I had and sent it back to the factory for warranty work. Not stock related. Since it's return, it continued to decline in regards to accuracy. During it's stay with the factory they noticed the magazine was loose so they 'tightened it up' for me. Cool.
    When I removed the action from the stock, I saw something odd. I am not kidding, I just finished pulling folded up paper jammed hard between the mag box and stock. I still cannot believe it. I took pictures.
    So with the Mc Gieverism removed I'm ready to put this problem to bed with the new stock.
    Any advice or experience with the EABCO stocks? I don't see alot of info on them.
    Last edited by Miocene; 12-02-2019 at 11:32 PM. Reason: spelling

The blanks all come out of Rutland Plywood Corp. So the base product is the same (Boyd's,Ruger, Savage, etc). Just depends on the inletting and finish. Frankly, some of the stuff that comes out of Boyd's..... Let's just say the QC matches Savage. I wouldn't worry about the EABCo stock.

Cheers
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Thanks, I was hoping the EABCO was maybe a step up in quality as well. Paid a little more so was expecting a little more.

Looking forward to your review of it.

I'll be looking for a SA laminate pretty quick myself.

Basic Member
    I'll post my experience and share impressions.

Basic Member
    I received the new stock in today, couldn't wait to check it out and dry fit it. It looks great. Thumbhole laminate. Has a AiRecoil recoil pad. Finish is excellent. Stock comb height is a bit low but that works fine as I free-recoil this one. Included with the stock was a hand written note from EABCO hoping everything fits good and if not, I could exchange it. Signed with her name. Nice touch. I included all the model/specs once more in an additional section during ordering to be certain all info was there and available.
    Action drops in nice and sung. No teter totering fore to aft and minimum slop in the recoil lug inlet. As mentioned by another poster, the box has 'Revolution' stamped on the outside. Pillars installed. As expected, the trigger guard cut-out was not in-letted to accept the new style trigger guard. Not only the depth, but the width of the channel is narrower. I am hoping when I find someone who carries the old style that it may also be a small amount narrower in the footprint if that makes sense. Any suggestions who may still carry them?
    Though the customer service rep and I discussed the barrel profile in advance and agreed it should fit the Varmint (Heavy) contour, it's a good bit undersize for a free-floated, heavy barrel. I was hoping to get lucky and not have to hog out any material as the inside of the stock is sealed very well and I will need to reseal it once complete. Maybe I will get lucky and once all has been completed and snugged up, the barrel will lift off the stock some.
    That blind mag. I don't think anyone ever mistaken it for a early model 70 Win. That goofy L bracket. I would appreciate any suggestions on what to do what that thing. I read somewhere here that they cut the ears off essentially not contacting the pilIar. My thoughts are that action screw torque must transfer through it and back to the mag AND vise versa if mag has hard stock contact. I find it hard to trust the design and not having a negative impact on accuracy.

Initial thoughts. I would appreciate any suggestions and experiences.

Basic Member
    Bed the rifle without the L bracket and cut it down to about 3/8" long on the top. Use a Dremel, take your time and cut out a slot for the L bracket so it's below your bedding height, compression front to back will hold it in snug and your concerns are gone.

Basic Member
    Many thanks! I just knew someone must have a better way. Nothing needed to replace the void of where the L bracket was sandwiched between pillar and stock? Just bed material?
    Thanks again-

Basic Member
    I too bought the EABCO thumbhole stock for my son's 12FV in 223. Fit was great and it shot very good right out of the box. I bedded it anyway using Devcon 10110. Wasn't difficult, and I took special care to get that stupid L bracket bedded as well. The gun is a real tack driver. My son, who's new to the sport but has the advantage of young eyes, shot several 5 shot groups at 100 yds that measured in the high Zero's with a 53 gr V-Max.

As for the trigger guard, this problem is common on all the aftermarket stocks. My model 12BVSS trigger guard fits perfectly in the Thumbhole stock. Savage will sell it, but for the life of me I can't find the stupid part number. There are some links in the FAQ's above that will help home in on it. The BVSS guard is SS but they do make it in matt black, and it fits perfectly.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Can one of you post a pic of that L bracket??

Savage is a new platform for me .

Basic Member
    Thanks Tex. I read your review from another thread and that was one of the reasons I went with the EABCO. That one is a real shooter. Not to mention your boy has talent!
    Never posted a pic here but I will try to share it Alin. I'm sure many other know how and maybe they will post it.
    Tex- I keep coming with: Trigger guard 107217 as a part number but unsure if this is Savage's item #.
    Did you have to open up your barrel channel (fore end)?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post
    Thanks Tex. I read your review from another thread and that was one of the reasons I went with the EABCO. That one is a real shooter. Not to mention your boy has talent!
    Never posted a pic here but I will try to share it Alin. I'm sure many other know how and maybe they will post it.
    Tex- I keep coming with: Trigger guard 107217 as a part number but unsure if this is Savage's item #.
    Did you have to open up your barrel channel (fore end)?
    I think I had to sand it a bit to get good clearance. I use an assortment of deep sockets with 240 grit sandpaper wrapped around them. Works really quick.

If you find that trigger guard fits the stock without modification, maybe Boss will add to FAQ's . This is a common problem with most any of the laminated aftermarket stocks and I'm sure others would like to know what to buy. Come to think of it, I believe Stocky's sells the correct trigger guard. Might be where I bought mine .
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Thanks,
    EABCO offered one that would fit the stock. Drop in without mod. I opted out since i THINK, don't quote me on this, but it was the plastic version. Nay. I pulled the trigger on a trigger guard on Ebay. Based on the reviews, it is the old style, metal, and should drop in according to Boyd stock owners.
    I have a piece of 1" steel stock that I found somewhere years ago and it serves perfect for heavy barrel profiles. About 6" long and makes opening up channels a breeze.
    I do really love the look and feel of this stock. MUCH nicer than factory Savage thumbhole laminates. I'm chipping away at the cool weather project list and have not had any time for something that goes bang.
    New FFP glass ready to be mounted. Man I am ready to get back to the bench.

Basic Member
    This might be of help. This thread appears just below yours as of today.
    https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...-trigger-guard

Team Savage

Ran into same problem when I upgraded to the Bobby Hart LRT (also inletted for the 12BVSS trigger guard). I ordered the matte blue version, SAV105417, from Gun Shack and their website shows them in stock this morning.

Basic Member
    Thanks guys. Tex- that thread with the pics was a perfect illustration of what I needed. I see a lot of guys purchasing these as a replacement for their factory plastic ones in factory stocks. Same size and dims but they just want real metal.
    Thanks again for the tips.

Basic Member
    Sav105417. $26 for blued steel, $30 for SS (SAV105928)

http://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts/savage-trigger-guards

Boss: This would make a nice Sticky for the Aftermarket Stocks section.

Basic Member
    Bingo.
    That's it.

Team Savage

I always check Gun Shack when looking for Savage parts. I ordered the trigger guard on a Saturday morning and, IIRC, it was in my mailbox Monday (TX to WA). I like that kind of service!