Thread: Special Edition of 300 Savage 110s from the '80s

Basic Member

Special Edition of 300 Savage 110s from the '80s

I picked up a rifle today that I've found very little info about online and really nothing doing the site search here. It is a 110 in 300 Savage and it looks like any other late 80s 110 with a blind mag except it has a laser engraved Chief Lame Deer on the right side of the stock. It's also supposed to be 24" barrel and has open sights. Apparently they came with a matching knife and shipped in a hard case too. Supposedly there were 499 made and this one is S/N 8...Mine is just the bare rifle but it appears to be unfired. It's got a few safe/handling marks, but overall it's pretty decent. Any opinions, is this a shooter or a safe queen?

Basic Member
    OK, 75 views and no comments so I’ll open this up some. Does anyone here have any additional info on this rifle? Hi have read they were the first factory chambered 300 Savage rifles made on the 110 platform. I know that in general Savage 110s aren’t real collectible - does anyone think there’s a market for the whole gun as is apparently unfired? Has/does anyone else own one and shot it? If so how did it perform?

Pictures please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    Pictures please
    I don't have a picture host website, so I can't put any pics on but here is the one place I found online about the rifle. There is a pic of the whole package on a tailgate. My rifle looks just like this one, but I have just the rifle only. The guy in this post had the whole kit and caboodle...If this link is not allowed please let me know. I read through the rules and I think it's OK. https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/savag...ed-587179.html

Basic Member
    There have been so many special editions of guns made over the years it would take a very specialized collector to place extra value on one of them. Especially since yours is now a 'partial' I would view it as another gun with an interesting stock. It might have more value if you could find out who the original owner was. A lower number copy might have been given/sold to someone 'special'. With all the ownership changes not sure if you could find out anything by contacting Savage.

Basic Member
    I could try Savage, the guy in that post talked to someone there two years ago so that might be the best route.If it was anything other than a 300 Savage chambering I'd agree. There was only one other thread on the internet I could find where one poster who seemed very knowledgeable about the very limited amount of 300 Savage chamberings ever done in a 110 at the factory. This was during the 2008 50th Anniversary Run of 1000. I guess there's some limited amount now for the 125th Anniversary of Savage, but I think those are short actions.

Savage likely won't be any help as the rifle was made prior to 1995.

The "H" serial number prefix is odd as Savage didn't start using that prefix until sometime in 2009, but the rifle is clearly pre-AccuTrigger with it's flat-top action. The "F" prefix was what was in use from 1989 thru mid 2001.

It's not depicted in any of my catalog's from the late 80's or early 90's so I would have to assume it was a special run for a distributor or large volume dealer. If the 1989 date is correct, it was made while Savage was in bankruptcy protection, a time in which they were willing to make most anything special for a distributor/dealer if they ordered enough units as the number of standard options was very slim.

My guess is it was likely a Talo Exclusive since Talo's offices are right across the street from the Savage factory and they have a long history of doing unique, limited run Savage models like this (i.e. the Savage Mako rifles).

As for value, I can't see it being worth much more than any other model of that vintage as other than the chambering there's really nothing special about it. If the stock were a nice piece of walnut I could see it having a little more value, but that isn't the case here. With the knife and boxes as a group I'd say probably $500 tops - especially when you can pick up the newer Limited Edition models with very nice stocks and engraving for a grand or less off GunBroker in the same chambering.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain