Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on upgrading my optics

Basic Member

Looking for advice on upgrading my optics

I shoot .223 Remington at paper targets from the bench at 100-300 yards. My current optics include a Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x50 and a Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40. Both have side focus and simple duplex reticles. The Leupold is the clearest and brightest of the two and the Nikon has really good eye relief.

I find myself wanting more magnification and have been looking at the following optics as a possible upgrade. I have a budget in mind of around $1K. My reticle preference is a simple duplex without all of the hash marks and other clutter. These are listed in no particular order.

Sightron SIII 8-32x56
    Sightron SIII 10-50x60
    Leupold VX-3i LRP 8.5-25x50
    Weaver T-36
    Weaver T XR Series
    Athlon Midas BTR 4.5-27x50

At first glance, the Sightron scopes are most appealing because they have the most duplex reticle options and appear to get a lot of favorable reviews. The Weaver T series is touted as a good entry level optic but I’m not sure about going with fixed power.

What are your thoughts on these and what else should I be looking at?

What is the practical amount of usable magnification at 100, 200, and 300 yards for benchrest shooting?

Budget?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Budget?
    $1K

Basic Member
    Do you plan on dialing or using hold overs?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo117 View Post
    Do you plan on dialing or using hold overs?
    Dialing

Is it only a bench dialing gun?

Go with a fixed 24x. You won’t find a clearer scope. I like SWFAs little center dot on the MOA retical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Sightron SIII 8-32x56
    Sightron SIII 10-50x60
    Leupold VX-3i LRP 8.5-25x50
    Weaver T-36
    Weaver T XR Series
    Athlon Midas BTR 4.5-27x50

I have the SIII 8x32, leupold VX3i 8.5 x 25, and had the T36
    Of those three I choose the Leupold

Most of my shooting is 100 -200 with occasional 900 range.
    usually 20X or less due to mirage ( mid- day)
    Jack

Basic Member
    With a budget of $1K for a scope that can dial reliably I would only look at SWFA and the Nightforce SHV models. At the $1K price point those are the only brands I trust to dial reliably and accurately every time.

A fixed 12x SWFA is an inexpensive option. The 3-15x SWFA is a great option. Nightforce SHV 3-10 can be found for $750 on sale. The Nightforce SHV F1 4-14x can be found on sale for about $1K.

BTW, some SWFA scope are on sale for Black Friday right now.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    Is it only a bench dialing gun?

Go with a fixed 24x. You won’t find a clearer scope. I like SWFAs little center dot on the MOA retical

I have not considered SWFA fixed power scopes. What do you like about yours? What are some pros & cons?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2905 View Post
    I have not considered SWFA fixed power scopes. What do you like about yours? What are some pros & cons?
    I only own the 12x SS.
    I like the
    Price
    Glass. bright,clear
    Turrets
    Tracking
    Reticle
    Durable

I also shoot the .223
    It’s limits are within the 12x
    But if I was trying to only shoot paper on a bench I would like 24x for really small groups and the fixed power is the clearest glass you can own.
    They just work for the money.
    If I were to spend a 1k like you go with the nightforce or 3-15x swfa
    But as bench only 24x sounds good.

Cons
    Little spongy turrets
    Big and heavy

Nightforce SHV 5-20x56

Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Jester

Quote Originally Posted by Jester560 View Post
    Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Interesting choice for a 100 to 300 yard target gun.

I would step up to the Leupold VX3i LRP 6.5-20x50. Should be able to find one well under 1k and is by far my favorite scope going right now. All the features you need with excellent clarity and eye relief while being very light weight and has the best, easiest to use zero stop in the business.

My vote is the Sightron SIII in a 6-24x50 first or second focal plane. I bot my dad one of the Athlon Ares BTR 4.5x27x50 and I think the SIII is way better. The Ares has the Xmas tree reticle though.

The Weaver tactical mod#800363, if far better glass than the SWFA's. They really struggle with color accuracy at distance, relatively speaking. They are a little brighter in appearance, but bright and washed out with more CA; isn't impressive.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    The Weaver tactical mod#800363, if far better glass than the SWFA's. They really struggle with color accuracy at distance, relatively speaking. They are a little brighter in appearance, but bright and washed out with more CA; isn't impressive.
    Not trying to stir the pot, but what good is clear glass if the scope doesn't track reliably? OP has stated he's going to dial. I'm not saying that Weaver scopes are incapable of dialing accurately and reliably. However, Weaver certainly doesn't have the reputation for accuracy and reliability that other companies like Nightforce have.

I'm also not saying a Schmidt and Bender or US Optics is required in this situation. But if you've got the budget for a reliable scope then go for it.

Basic Member

Does punching paper out to 300 mean that you’re shooting groups? If so I would look for a pure benchrest scope. No need for a variable or fancy dialing in my experience there. 36X is good, some folks were modifying them to 45X. The Weaver T36 is ok, the old M8 or better yet BR series Leupolds are great scopes too if you can find one. Fine crosshair is king.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Does punching paper out to 300 mean that you’re shooting groups? If so I would look for a pure benchrest scope. No need for a variable or fancy dialing in my experience there. 36X is good, some folks were modifying them to 45X. The Weaver T36 is ok, the old M8 or better yet BR series Leupolds are great scopes too if you can find one. Fine crosshair is king.
    Yes, I’m primarily shooting groups. I like the idea of a simple fixed power scope. However, I have experienced mirage at 16X several times and had to dial back the magnification. Probably just need to try one and see how it goes.

Basic Member
    Once you get on to it you’ll find the higher power scope is your friend with mirage. The benchrest shooters don’t use less power when it’s running. The trick is to pull when you have the exact same sight picture. Sometimes it’s so bad that the golf ball on a BR target looks like it’s bouncing. High power scope and mirage can also be very useful with wind calls. Sometimes more useful than the wind flags. I wouldn’t want any less than 36X for 200, never shot a 300 yard match.

Vortex Golden Eagle is another good choice. I like them a lot and have several of them for shooting paper off a bench. I find it helpful to be able to really zoom in. You can find them used or refurbished for $900-1100. A good thing about Vortex is that their warranty covers just about everything so buying used isn't a problem.

Basic Member
    Another vote for the Sightron here. Their tracking is spot on and the glass is great. I have a 6-24 and 8-32 SIII and love them. As good as any VX-3 I’ve looked through, maybe better.

If you’re not set on buying brand new, Nightforce 12-42x’s and Vortex Golden Eagle 15-60’s can be found in the $1050-1100 range rather easily. If you’re patient, occasionally a bit cheaper. Both offer excellent optics and power to resolve bullet holes at distance. In PERFECT, cool, early morning conditions, I’ve been able to see my 6mm holes in the white portions of my target at 600 yards with the Golden Eagles.

The Sightron 10-50x is a really good value & has excellent tracking. Had 5, sold a couple to get the extra mag. & HD lenses the Golden Eagles offered. Seen the Sightrons new @ around $800 on sale at this time of year the past two years. Their downside is a stiff side focus knob and they don’t (or didn’t) come with a sunshade, more $ if you like to use them. I’ve heard the side focus isn’t as bad with the 8-32’s.

While the 36x was a mainstay in 100-200 yard BR for years, for recreational shooting, not being able to dial down the power is less than ideal in hot conditions (mirage).

For what you say you want to do, I would be looking at no less than an 8-32x scope. Personally, I would go even higher. Being able to watch your groups form without the need for a spotting scope makes life easier to me. You can always turn down a 50x variable, you can’t turn a 6-24x up to 32x to see better. Mid-day, California sun, I’m usually ~25-35x. Early morning relays, generally I’m shooting at whatever max is for the scope I’m using.

-Rick
    Unbiased AR15, Barnard, BAT, Borden, Browning, Kelbly, Marsh, Nesika Bay, Remington, Ruger, Savage, Ultralight Arms owner. I like 'em all.

Basic Member
    I really appreciate all of the input and recommendations on this thread. It's a lot to digest but now I feel like an informed consumer. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the high magnification variables. Just gotta find the right deal out there.

Thanks again

Basic Member
    I’d vote Vortex Golden Eagle as well. I’m getting ready to buy another one after the holidays.

You can find them used for around a $1k so I wouldn’t sweat getting a used one either.

Goes back to the old saying....”you get what you pay for?” If your capabilities start to exceed your equipment then the first thing that suffers is you. You stop learning!

My Golden Eagle is currently on my F Open rifle which the current barrel is in 300PRC but I’ve used it on a 284win., my 6BRA as well and all with no issues. If your paper punching regardless of the distance I like the 1/8moa clicks of the GE and a few others.

In no particular order the Weaver and Sightron as well as the 8.5-25 Leopold and the 6.5-20 Leopold are not bad choices.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast