Thread: Made up my mind,going to build a 6.5x284 hunting rifle. Now what barrel.

Basic Member

Made up my mind,going to build a 6.5x284 hunting rifle. Now what barrel.

I have decided to build a 6.x284 hunting rifle, I like my long range build so well I did a couple of years ago. I am going with a 24" barrel, want a magnum sporter taper, ending up about .670 at the muzzle. 1-8 twist of course. Most of you guys know I am a 6.5 nut, love the old swede. I am also going to put a Que Industries, brake, from brownells, theser are the guys who designed the browning boss. I have one on a mag. sporter I built for a buddy with 6.5 swede, you can put the pad on your nose with the 120 grainers we load and pull the trigger. I have had great luck with Shilen and Douglas barrels from vendors here, any thoughts on the new ones Jim Briggs is selling from Krieger? I have a switch barrel long action, staggered feed with 3 different barrels, timed and trued by me, 26 ounce trigger, steel bases and rings, Burris 4x12 or Nikon Monarch, have both. I have bedded in factory stock, older choate, and current factory .270 barrel w/brake will shoot 3/4 inch with factory Hornady150, wife took elk last year with it. Also can anyone help me post an elk pic in the pictures forum, got my one and only this year. All replies appreciated gang.

LSUBOY

Re: Made up my mind,going to build a 6.5x284 hunting rifle. Now what barrel.

Get a barrel that has been lapped and if you do you will have to go with one of the better barrel makers; However, I would advise you to get 2 of them. That way you won't have to be going back 2 to 4 years later getting a new one.

diriel

Re: Made up my mind,going to build a 6.5x284 hunting rifle. Now what barrel.

Heard a lot of good things about Shilen. I would not be shy about buying a barrel from them. Good CS goes a long ways in my books. Good folks there.

Gary