Thread: Newbie, Model 99E Parts bin Mashup Questions

Newbie, Model 99E Parts bin Mashup Questions

New guy. Long time 99 admirer who just adopted an ugly duckling in need of TLC. So, please excuse my ignorance and hopefully indulge my questions.

So, the carbine that I have is marked Model 99E on the barrel and Westfield. It is a 20" barrel (.308 Winchester). It has the rather nasty pressed checkering, rounded short forend, pistol grip beech stocks. Serial number 1,115,xxx. All consistent with a 1966/67 Model 99E. However, I have an "L" lever code boss which I understand is 1960 and a lever catch safety which I understand ceased in 1959 with Chicopee production. It has the loaded chamber indicator, but no cartridge counter. So, I am confused. How can I have a lever catch safety, L code lever, and a serial number in the 1966/67 range? If it was just the lever code, I would guess a lever replacement, but with no tang safety, I understand that the serial number and the safety do not match. Is that correct? Any ideas on this mystery?

In any event, this rifle has had a hard life. The bluing at the bottom of the receiver is very worn with indications of surface rust wiped clean, consistent with prolonged carry. A long time working with steel wool has evened that out. The wood is vile. Beech, pressed checkering, coated in a red brown goo. Those have been stripped and re-stained in a light walnut now and I will Tung Oil finish them. The bore is fine thank heavens, though there appear to be tight spots at the buckhorn sight and the forend screw receiver. Havenet shot it yet, so no idea of accuracy. The outside of the barrel is tragic. From just behind the front sight ramp to just in front of the forend screw receiver, it is badly pitted. After many hours with a diamond file, jeweler's buffer, and steel wool, I was able to take it from deeply pitted to "frosted". The cold bluing turned out better than expected but, it will never be a looker.

In any event, any assistance with what, to me, seems a mystery, of mismatch parts/features would be appreciated.

Basic Member
    I have a '66 99E .308 as well. The letter code on my lever boss is "T" which is '66. Mine has the lever safety, loaded chamber indicator and also no counter. Mine does not have the buck horn sight, just the cheap original rear sight which works well. Purchased mine new in the day, so all info should be accurate. I would not worry about your lever boss letter code. If you use a brass or copper type wool pad rubbing with oil instead of using steel wool, it might give better results? If you got a great deal, so to speak, just have the metal re-blued professionally or if your cold blue application makes you happy, you saved $$. Once the rear stock is removed, clean and lube the working metal parts. I don't like Tung oil as it takes too long for each coat to dry...but is a great option. I hand rubbed in boiled linseed oil for the wood, purchased from the gun department at Home Depot. Hand rubbed for a mat finish. Once every few years, apply another coat or two for a 99 to be proud of. Note that at the butt end of your stock, you will find a pressed in last 4 digit serial number which should match your rifle serial number. You are lucky to find a 99 that you can take in the woods without worrying about it getting dinged. I am ultra careful with mine, which may take some fun out of it. Have fun!

Been working on it. Spent a lot of time on the barrel surface. It's not exactly pretty but its come a long way.

And the stocks are stripped cleaned and re-stained in a light walnut