Thread: 338 lapua reciever question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

338 lapua reciever question

so I want to try a 338 lapua -will a small shank receiver work ? or are they a special 338 only receiver's thanks
    If your lucky enough to live in the BIG woods your lucky enough

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willoughby View Post
    so I want to try a 338 lapua -will a small shank receiver work ? or are they a special 338 only receiver's thanks
    I know savage 111 In 338 LM is large shank

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willoughby View Post
    Are you wanting to buy like a target action for. A precision build?

Basic Member
    Do some serious research/due diligence before assembling a chambering with high bolt thrust like the .338 LM on any receiver/bolt not designed for it.

That aside, I am not aware of any manufacturer offering a "prefit", chambered Savage barrel in that chambering. Ostensibly, so that relatively inexperienced individuals screwing parts together don't end up with a bolt blown through their forehead.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    Do some serious research/due diligence before assembling a chambering with high bolt thrust like the .338 LM on any receiver/bolt not designed for it.

That aside, I am not aware of any manufacturer offering a "prefit", chambered Savage barrel in that chambering. Ostensibly, so that relatively inexperienced individuals screwing parts together don't end up with a bolt blown through their forehead.
    They dont have them orechambered but you can get them with bore and rifling and have a gunsmith ream the chamber I do believe

Basic Member
    A standard small shank action is not a good idea. The Lapua should only be built on the action specifically made for it. Many say that Savage should have increased the overall size of the action for the Lapua but they didn't. They did, however, change to a better heat treatment and thicker locking lugs, as well as making the ports smaller in the receiver for added strength. There are barrel makers that will make pre-fit barrels for them. I have 2 McGowen barrels in my safe right now chambered for 338 Lapua. If you do it on a regular action, you're risking lug setback which can lead to headspace problems and the small shank barrel doesn't have chamber walls thick enough for the pressure either. I have two of them, a 110 LRH, and a 112 Magnum target. But they are made from the factory specifically for the Lapua round, and I say again, you should not do it with a regular action, but do it with the Lapua specific action only.

Basic Member
    I was doing testing with 338 Lapua back around 2009. I put a barrel on a older single shot 112V J series. That one gun is my test rifle. I set it up with out the barrel nut so the breech diameter of the barrel at the receiver was 1.250” o.d and being a single shot it gave me more confidence with the bolt lug engagement vs. Rem. 700’s where you have to open up/rework the feed ramp which I don’t like. That makes that bottom lug area have less support.

I opened up a mag bolt face to 338 Lapua and polished the extractor so it would snap over the rim. It chambered and ejected empty cases with no issues.

When Savage came out with they’re factory rifle....yes it’s a large shank but the receiver o.d. And lug area is the same. So it’s not any stronger per say.

The large shank is 1.120 vs. the 1.055” thread on the small shank (which is only about .005” smaller than a Remington thread. If you use the factory Savage barrel nut even on a large shank that still limits you to a 1.120” breech diameter. By not using the barrel nut like I did at least I could go up to a 1.250” breech diameter. Heck you can even go up to 1.350” diameter on the barrel. I’ve done 1.3” before on a Savage.

That all being said it was for testing I did prior to PSR1. If I was going to have a dedicated 338 Lapua or Norma I’d build it on a bigger receiver.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels