Thread: Info blind mag removal / replacing for new stock

Basic Member

Info blind mag removal / replacing for new stock

For when I finally decide on the replacement stock for my 12FV short action / blind mag , could someone point me to any available information on how best to remove the magazine and replace it into the aftermarket stock ? Two sources I have read suggest the mag is diificult to remove and caution should be used with regards to the "retaining" pin . ALSO , I'm finding it difficult to find exact torque values for the action screws - in fact Texas10 suggested that the torque value for the rear action screw would need to be tuned .
    Suggestions for any articles or links would be appreciated . Thanks .

Basic Member
    So I personally use a small flat blade screwdriver to gently pry up the retaining clip while simultaneously pulling the magazine body up with a finger I shove in there. Just work it slowly...some are more stuck than others. As for screw torque I have to admit I have never tried tuning it. I just set them to ~60 in/lb as all my stocks are pillared and bedded.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    I just set them to ~60 in/lb as all my stocks are pillared and bedded.
    Thank you . I had not read about using a finger in addition to a screwdriver . The ~60 in/lb you mention is what I've seen elsewhere ( 50 - 60 in/lb ) but all the references I've seen have stated they are approximate ?? Obviously the 60 works well - I just thought Savage or the aftermarket companies might have suggested a maximum torque value . Thank you again .

You can kind of see how I do it in this video:

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...r-Stagger-feed

Basically slide a finger into the mag from the front getting under the feed lips, then rocking it back and forth while pulling upwards. Slipping a flat screwdriver under the rear of the L-bracket and prying it up some really helps to loosen the more stubborn ones, but don't go too far with it as you'll bind the mag at an angle in the stock making it even more stuck. Pry up a little, wiggle back and forth, pry up a little more, wiggle again, etc.

If you're putting it into a Boyds stock be ready to do some sanding as their mag pockets are VERY tight and if you force it in you'll have a hell of a time ever getting it back out. You just want a little resistance when pushing it in as the front of the box sits on a shelf and the rear height is set by the L-bracket.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    My experience with inserting the magazine box into a new B&C stock was that it was a little loose and kept wanting to pop up. I fixed this by winding a couple wraps of masking tape around it to snug things up.

Basic Member
    Many thanks J.Baker . My 12FV is a centerfeed blind mag . I am totally new to this and you taking time to help is greatly appreciated .

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2905 View Post
    My experience with inserting the magazine box into a new B&C stock was that it was a little loose and kept wanting to pop up. I fixed this by winding a couple wraps of masking tape around it to snug things up.
    Thank you very much . B&C is one of the stocks I'm considering . Have also read that some of another manufacturer's ( Choate ) stocks have loose fitment in the magazine area . Have read of people stuffing everything from cardboard to credit cards in to tightening things up . Thanks again .

Basic Member
    Bama
    You asked about torque specs and tuning of action screws, here is an article that I found helpful.
    https://www.accurateshooter.com/tech...torque-tuning/

I performed the test described in the article and it was well worth the time.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    Bama
    You asked about torque specs and tuning of action screws, here is an article that I found helpful. .
    Thank you oldday. Excellent article. Will certainly try this when I replace the stock. I was somewhat surprised that he only used 30 in lbs for the front. Perhaps because he was working with 3 screws ? Thanks again.

I set my fv in a b&c medalist stock and the internal mag install is not to difficult mine set in snugly and just had to wiggle the little metel clip a little to get it to slide back in.i emailed b&c and asked them what they recommended for tork specs on there stocks but cant seem to remember what they told me it's in my notes somewhere I'm about 45" # and good days I can get .5 groups with reloads

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama View Post
    Thank you oldday. Excellent article. Will certainly try this when I replace the stock. I was somewhat surprised that he only used 30 in lbs for the front. Perhaps because he was working with 3 screws ? Thanks again.
    Perhaps, but I think the upper limit in torque values are dependent on the stock material or whether or not pillars are installed. With pillars you can torque the front action much higher but I don’t know if there is any advantage or disadvantage in doing so.
    I am however confident that that the authors experience and knowledge exceeds my own and I therefore yield.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 69gen1 View Post
    I set my fv in a b&c medalist stock and the internal mag install is not to difficult
    Good to know as the Medalist is where I'm leaning lately.