Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage Axis 30.06 recoil

Bueller

Savage Axis 30.06 recoil

Hi all! I recently purchased a synthetic stock axis in 30.06. I shot it over the weekend and let me tell you it kicks like a mule. My shoulder is killing me. With the weird way the recoil pad connects to the axis body, does anyone have any suggestions or is there any instructional post or anything that will tell me how to install a limbsaver recoil pad onto this axis synthetic stock rifle?

Thanks in advance!

Basic Member
    First thing I did with the factory stock was fill the buttstock with bondo body filler. Adds a little weight. I've never installed a limbsaver recoil pad, but everything needs tweaking to work with the Axis. Better to put it in an aftermarket laminate stock then add the recoil pad.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    First thing I did with the factory stock was fill the buttstock with bondo body filler. Adds a little weight. I've never installed a limbsaver recoil pad, but everything needs tweaking to work with the Axis.
    Some also add metal to the bondo or epoxy filler. 30-06 + light stock = sore shoulder!
    Last edited by stangfish; 11-04-2013 at 08:55 PM.

contenderv07
    Just to see what it felt like I put a small bag of rice in mine. I may try getting some BB's from walmart and put them in there. That will work on the butt- stock but the forestock, I need to play around with it. I was thinking some lead tape (like the kind for golf clubs), or some wheel weights. The limbsaver (from what I hear) is awesome.. I think I'm going to get this one http://www.amazon.com/Limbsaver-1054...ef=pd_sbs_sg_2 . If you like it you can take it off and put it on other guns you may have.. Last thing, you may want to look at the kind of ammo, maybe a 125gr. I love my 150 gr rounds

I've not shot a 30-06 that didn't kick like a mule!!
    After about 5 rounds I'm ready to quit!

Never installed one, but I bet adding a little weight would help tame a little...

Good luck!

jeffman3
    I'm looking at an Axis 30-06. First thing I am going to do, is put it in an aftermarket laminate stock with an "upgraded" recoil pad. That is where I would start. (I too have a sensitive shoulder.) Second, is to work up some 125 grain loads for it, for hunting deer sized game. (For the big stuff I'll work up heavier loads.) A trigger is in the mix somewhere sometime too. Good luck!

diesel
    tell ya what, I'm 81, 6' 1" 215 lbs. but with that Authur Ritus in both shoulders, from the bench, any recoil hurts. solution, a Past magnum recoil pad. have shot 300 WIN mag many times at the bench without TOO much discomfort. when shooting a couple shots at game, (it you need more than that, something's wrong) you never feel that recoil anyhow. never go to the range without it.

davemuzz
    Go to the Limbsaver web site. You can print out a template of their recoil pads and match up the one that will fit your rifle stock. The Limbsaver will be the best $35 you put on your rifle. Once installed you can go to the range and shoot 25 or 35 rounds and you won't have that black 'n blue shoulder.

Dave

Tip on installing a Limbsaver or Decelerator recoil pad: Throw it in the freezer overnight and pull it out when your ready to install and grind it to fit. They're extremely soft and if you try to grind on it when they're not frozen they will tear and peel and the end result will look like crap. Freezing it will make it good and hard so you can shape it and get clean smooth edges.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

My impression of after-market buttpads is generally "Meh." In some cases they lengthen your pull which can worsen the problem IMO. I have a 300 win mag which pounds harder than a 30 06--I go with the "get some weight inside the buttstock area to absorb recoil" camp. I have put a 1" tube of aluminum filled with washers and rubber pads inside my axis and 111's (flatten one end so it goes way up into the trigger/comb area) and it seems to reduce felt recoil enough so that I can fire off 30 or more rounds in a session without much pain--but more importantly it balances the recoil/muzzle-lift and reduces "anticipatory flinch" which causes all kinds of problems. YRMV.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    Tip on installing a Limbsaver or Decelerator recoil pad: Throw it in the freezer overnight and pull it out when your ready to install and grind it to fit. They're extremely soft and if you try to grind on it when they're not frozen they will tear and peel and the end result will look like crap. Freezing it will make it good and hard so you can shape it and get clean smooth edges.
    Great tip, thanks Pard.

thomae
    If you are willing to go with a laminate stock, I'd get a Boyds' stock and pay to have a Decelerator pad custom fit. The price from Boyds' is the same as what you would pay to buy the same pad elsewhere that you would then have to fit. I have the jig, and have custom fit 2 pads to existing stocks. It's not hard, but if I were buying a Boyds stock, I'd have them do it.

Anyone got a part number for the limbsaver for the savage axis?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Far as I know they don't make a direct fit replacement for the Axis, and even if they did in the past it probably wouldn't fit the newer style stock that they started putting on the Axis last year.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Far as I know they don't make a direct fit replacement for the Axis, and even if they did in the past it probably wouldn't fit the newer style stock that they started putting on the Axis last year.
    Do they make a slip over one that would fit?

Basic Member
    Instead of installing a pad on each rifle I use a PAST shoulder recoil pad. Works much better too as it distributes the recoil over a larger area.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Instead of installing a pad on each rifle I use a PAST shoulder recoil pad. Works much better too as it distributes the recoil over a larger area.
    Got a link to where I can get one?

Basic Member
    or try a Beartooth recoil pad. It"s a slip on neoprene pad with multiple pad inserts for a custom fit/

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    or try a Beartooth recoil pad. It"s a slip on neoprene pad with multiple pad inserts for a custom fit/
    I'll look into it. Thanks for the help.

Basic Member

I just got the LimbSaver equivalent of one of these for shooting clays, and while it works it's not exactly the most comfortable thing to wear and in my case I notice it tends to shift position on me leaving the buttstock just off the side of it and I'll have to move it back to where it needs to be.

Gonna go with the Beartooth recoil pad. Looks nice and got good reviews.

BTW, haven't most all of the Axis rifles made come with the factory squishy recoil pad? I'm fairly certain the new ones (with the new stock) do, but can't remember if the older ones did with the original stock design. If it is the squishy pad, you're not going to find anything aftermarket that's going to work any better. I'm pretty wimpy when it comes to recoil, but both the 110 Apex and 110 Storm rifles I reviewed were in .30-06 and had the squishy pad and the recoil was very manageable. The rifle still jumps up off the rest with some vigor, but the felt recoil at the shoulder was light enough I had no problem shooting 60-80 rounds per range session.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    BTW, haven't most all of the Axis rifles made come with the factory squishy recoil pad? I'm fairly certain the new ones (with the new stock) do, but can't remember if the older ones did with the original stock design. If it is the squishy pad, you're not going to find anything aftermarket that's going to work any better. I'm pretty wimpy when it comes to recoil, but both the 110 Apex and 110 Storm rifles I reviewed were in .30-06 and had the squishy pad and the recoil was very manageable. The rifle still jumps up off the rest with some vigor, but the felt recoil at the shoulder was light enough I had no problem shooting 60-80 rounds per range session.
    Yeah it has a rubber pad, but doesn't help enough. I can shoot my 12 gauge with no issues, but this 30.06 kills my shoulder after 10 rounds. Looking for a little extra cushion.

Did a little digging and Savage has never used their very good recoil pad (the P.A.D.) on the Axis series rifles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast