Thread: Shooting way low.

Shooting way low.

90's model 110 30-06, last year I slipped on rocks and landed on the rifle. The rifle between me and the rocks, hard. The fall crushed the elevation cap, that's fine it was a simmons. Bought a Nikon 4x14x40 and I can adjust the elevation all the way up and the gun is still shooting 15 inches low at 50 yards. Do I need to take the gun completely apart and torque everything back down an start over?

Basic Member
    I would check the barrel. If you fell hard enough, you might have bent it.

Basic Member
    Did the same thing with a Rem 7600 once. Had to replace rings as well. Good quality steel bases and rings will be a good investment. Use strippable thread lock as well.

Quote Originally Posted by strut64 View Post
    Did the same thing with a Rem 7600 once. Had to replace rings as well. Good quality steel bases and rings will be a good investment. Use strippable thread lock as well.
    I replaced the base, and rings when I put the new scope on and torqued everything down to spec.

Is it a 20MOA base by any chance?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Oh goodness, Give me two V blocks, a press and an indicator and I will get the whole barrel within .001"

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Oh goodness, Give me two V blocks, a press and an indicator and I will get the whole barrel within .001"

That won't work as good as a "precision" log....
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Is it a 20MOA base by any chance?
    I'm with you on this one Robinhood .... real easy to put a base on end for end....easy fix and back to the range...

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    That won't work as good as a "precision" log....
    Yeah, but it's darn close.

Off the top of your head what bases and rings would you suggest?

Before you do anything see if a dollar bill wil slide between the forearm and the barrel from the recoil lug to the end of the stock to see if the barrel is hitting the stock anywhere. You might take the the action out of the stock and remove the scope and mount. Roll the barrel on a countertop with the action hanging over the edge. You might could tell if the barrel is bent....maybe. V blocks would be better.

I’m not trying to be a smart arse. I don’t know your level of knowledge and I’m not assuming. These are things I’ve seen for real.
    Is your elevation knob on the top and windage on the side? I’ve seen people have the scope in the wrong way.
    If your shooting low you move turrets up.
    Archers are sometimes confused as you chase the arrow with your sights on a bow. Move sight down if your shooting low and vice versa.

Also take the bolt from the gun where you can look down the pipe. Put your gun in a vice or sled. Put a ball ⚽️ in the yard 40-50yds or so out. Look through the barrel and find the ball. Now move your scope hairs until they center the ball. Look back through the barrel.
    This should get you close.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    I’m not trying to be a smart arse. I don’t know your level of knowledge and I’m not assuming. These are things I’ve seen for real.
    Is your elevation knob on the top and windage on the side? I’ve seen people have the scope in the wrong way.
    If your shooting low you move turrets up.
    Archers are sometimes confused as you chase the arrow with your sights on a bow. Move sight down if your shooting low and vice versa.

Also take the bolt from the gun where you can look down the pipe. Put your gun in a vice or sled. Put a ball in the yard 40-50yds or so out. Look through the barrel and find the ball. Now move your scope hairs until they center the ball. Look back through the barrel.
    This should get you close.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No offense taken. Elevation is on top as it has a U and D and the direction arrow. I'm shooting from a Caldwell sled with 10 pounds of weight on it. I've done as you said with the bolt removed and centered with a clean target shown through the barrel and the scope.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ratamahatta View Post
    90's model 110 30-06, last year I slipped on rocks and landed on the rifle. The rifle between me and the rocks, hard. The fall crushed the elevation cap, that's fine it was a simmons. Bought a Nikon 4x14x40 and I can adjust the elevation all the way up and the gun is still shooting 15 inches low at 50 yards. Do I need to take the gun completely apart and torque everything back down an start over?
    You said you also replaced the rings & bases. Is there a possibility that you were given the wrong bases?
    Your model 110 may very well be a "flat back" and common bases in sports stores are usually "round back" as of current design. The hole pattern has the same spacing only the shape and height of the rear base is different. The front bases are the same.
    Just a thought,
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    You said you also replaced the rings & bases. Is there a possibility that you were given the wrong bases?
    Your model 110 may very well be a "flat back" and common bases in sports stores are usually "round back" as of current design. The hole pattern has the same spacing only the shape and height of the rear base is different. The front bases are the same.
    Just a thought,
    Randy
    Could be, I called Weaver and gave them the info and they gave me a model # for a one piece base specific to my rifle. I'll start there and see where it goes from there.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ratamahatta View Post
    Could be, I called Weaver and gave them the info and they gave me a model # for a one piece base specific to my rifle. I'll start there and see where it goes from there.
    If you visually look at how the rear of the base fits the action you will see if it follows the contour of the action without any gaps.

Installed new base and rings, front part of base is contoured, back part is flat just like the rifle, now to sight it in.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    After watching several different episodes of "the real gunsmith" I have came to the conclusion that he is the best sleep aid that there is. Better than "Sominex".
    Did he ever get that barrel straight?

He is the same guy that had nothing good to say about the 6.5 creed.

Basic Member
    Yep...oh well his U-tube life must be supporting him, but he definitely is full of himself sometimes.
    I really think he should make audio tapes to help people sleep!��

Basic Member
    In that case he can't be all bad.