Thread: Thanks to all for the AXIS assistance

Thanks to all for the AXIS assistance

Greetings all - I'm a new AXIS II owner and new to the forum. I've lurked for about the last month or 2 as I've worked through some pretty disappointing performance with my new .308 win. I purchased the rifle based on price, reviews of the rifle, and my own experience with Savage firearms. I grew up in the original home of Savage, and there were always used firearms in great supply. Having owned a couple of Savage shotguns and a model 111 in .243 I bought in 1995, I didn't think I could go wrong buying the Axis II. I wanted a ready made-bolt action field/truck gun that would allow me to shoot factory ammo and give me 1.5" at 100 yard kind of accuracy out of the box. I figured I had it until I took it to the range..... The 4-6" groups I was getting were extremely disappointing. Like wrap this new rifle around a tree disappointing.

But, I started reading the threads created by others who had similar results. The troubleshooting tips and cogent advice provided by everyone encouraged me to keep at it and work through the problem. 4 additional range sessions and 12 experimental reloads later, I found a shooter. 168 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips gave me .70" groups, and the 168gr Gold Dot Bonded bullet got me an MOA. I'm ready for the Kansas Firearms Season now. I didn't want a new reloading project, but I found the load(s) this finicky rifle likes.

Just wanted to thank everyone for sharing their experiences, fixes, and sage advice. I'm happy to part of an online community made up of knowledgeable shooters that are happy to assist.

- LGJ

Basic Member
    Am glad it worked out for you. I was also kinda disappointed with my 12BVSS in .308 when I got it. It surprised me since the .308 is 'supposed' to be easy to load for. I have found it very picky to powder, bullet and even primers. Nice thing is it shoots powder coated cast bullets very well :)

Change the factory, Tupperware stock. Mine went from a 1.5 inch gun with handloads to sub .5 inch with handloads gun by just changing stocks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Jester

Basic Member
    The 12BVSS has a good laminated wood stock. I probably should bed the thing to see if I can improve it.

The older Axis begs for a new stock. My .223 improved a little bit when I got a Boyd's stock for it.

Charlie B/Jester-
    Roger all. The AXIS is one of 3 .308's I load for. All digest a different recipe: different powders, charges, bullets, and bullet weights. I always found that difficult to believe.

I'll eventually upgrade the stock, but didn't want to throw good money after bad. I needed to see some demonstrated potential in the rifle before I go down that road. There is definitely a scope and stock upgrade coming in the future.

- LGJ

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    The 12BVSS has a good laminated wood stock. I probably should bed the thing to see if I can improve it.

The older Axis begs for a new stock. My .223 improved a little bit when I got a Boyd's stock for it.
    I have the BVSS stock on my 223 Ackley Improved and bedding really improved the accuracy of my hand loads out beyond 500 yards.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Thanks, may be the info I needed to nudge me into action :)

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post

I glass bedded the BVSS stock on my 223 AI, did wonders for the accuracy.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Im interested in what powders the guys are using that cant find a load. Also interested in your process for load workup.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I think we all found loads that worked, it just took a lot longer than I thought it would. As opposed to my .223 that seems to shoot decent with just about anything and really well with a variety of powders/loads/ bullets. My .308 with jacketed liked 155gn SMK and RL15 but 168SMK and Amax worked with it as well. It did not like heavier bullets. Varget and 4895 did not do as well. BLC2 was OK.

I usually start a new bullet load by shooting several 5 round groups, about 5% steps up to just under book max load. My starting load is usually half way between the book min and max. I do the same with each bullet/powder combination until I find one that works well. Usually, like with the .223, it doesn't take a lot to do this. The first or second powder I choose usually gives me a good result, especially when using Match King bullets. This .308 took me by surprise as I ended up trying 4 different powders and 6 different bullets.

Interesting is that it likes several different cast bullets. RCBS 165SIL, Lyman 31141 (165gn), 311299 (200gn), and Lee C309-180 all shoot MOA or better with 2000fps as well as subsonic loads. And three different powders work with them (4198, 4895 and Varget). I have also had some showing much better accuracy but I need to get repeated results before I will be happy with them. The surprise is that the subsonic groups (Blue Dot) are getting close to 1/2MOA. Those are a ton of fun.

When working up loads for a 308 I would use 1%(.4 gr) or less increases in powder weight. Any more and you could jump right past a good load. MHO. Preferably with less than .05 grain accuracy.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    That is probably good advice given my past with it. I just expected it to be as easy as the .223 based on old experience with the 7mm-08.