Thread: Trigger Pull Gauge

Basic Member

Trigger Pull Gauge

I was looking at the Wheeler Trigger Pull Gauge ($20.00) or digital over $45.00 but heard about a cheaper alternative. Since a trigger pull gauge isn't something I'd use everyday, the Eagle Claw Fish Scale With Tape Measure at $7.00 works for me. I removed the attached hook and fashioned a trigger puller out of a coat hanger - a longer one for rifles and a shorter one for pistols. Both my Mark II BV and A22 are used for matches and I have the accu trigger for both rifles set as low as possible. The Mark II measured a little over 1 lb. The A22 trigger, which I don't really like (gritty), measured a little over 3 lb.

Prior to measuring the trigger pull weights, I was considering purchasing the Apachee Trigger Kit for the Mark II but a pull weight of 1 lb works for me. They don't make a kit for the A22 - I wish they did.

Basic Member
    Hey Don - That's a simple solution to something that many make complex. I use a digital luggage scale along with a plastic grocery bag and various canned goods. Tuna cans are good for fractions of a pound. And to lighten your trigger on the A-22 try taking the action apart and polishing all the contact surfaces with 800g (or finer) wet/dry paper. If you carefully and lightly polish the trigger and sear surfaces this will smooth the trigger significantly. I don't have an A-22 so I don't know all the possibilities - maybe someone on here with an A-22 will give you some better tips.
    I looked on Youtube and didn't see any detailed vids on 'improvements' but you may have better luck. or maybe some other forums?
    I have just a 64, but I did several mods like that to lighten the pull. MCarbo makes a spring kit and I went further by replacing the trigger return spring with an even lighter one than MCarbo's.
    Best luck,
    Ed

Basic Member
    Ed: Thanks for the tip on polishing the trigger. I'm reluctant to disassemble the trigger for the fear I'll have trouble putting it back together plus the darn thing shoots so well I hate to mess with it. I use the A22 for tactical matches (steel @ 35 to 100 yards). Most of the shooters in these matches use Ruger 10/22's. I have no trouble keeping up with and out shooting them. I'm the only one shooting a Savage. Originally, is used my Savage Mark II BV but after the 1st match it proved to be unsatisfactory - I have 80 seconds for 15 rounds and working the bolt I lost sight of the target and with a mag change I ran out of time. The A22, which I mounted on a Boyd stock, is perfect.The gritty trigger is just irritating. There's next to nothing on the web regarding the A22. I'm hoping the trigger will improve with added use.

Basic Member

Wink

Hi Don - I just found this site for accutrigger modification, but it seems a lot of trouble. (https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...E35E&FORM=VIRE) HOWever - I then found this video. At about 3:30m he shows a tip for 'improving' the trigger pull. Maybe you have already discovered this trick. (https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C964&FORM=VIRE)
    Finally, here is a link to some other Savage videos. You may find more help there. (https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...er&FORM=VQFRML)
    Don't be afraid to take the assembly apart, you can take pics as you go if you don't find a vid that has good instructions. Just put the parts in something to keep them sorted. I use an ice-cube tray!! I tore apart my Ruger American "Marksman" variant of adjustable trigger and polished all the parts in it. There was a great video for that. When you polish parts, have the sandpaper on a hard-flat surface and move the part over it - not moving the sandpaper
    Hope this will inspire you to go forward in modifying your trigger. Best luck
    Ed
    Back again I just found another detailed vid. It's or a bolt action, but I imagine the Accutriggers are the same. Check it out as the guy seems very knowledgeable. (https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...0&&FORM=VRDGAR)
    Last edited by Fasteddie01; 11-18-2019 at 01:59 PM. Reason: addtl info

Basic Member
    Ed: Thank you for the video suggestions. there's not much info on the A22. Also, thanks for the sandpaper polishing tip. I've met a shooter at my range who will help me take apart the A22 trigger. The Mark II trigger is a lot easier to work on than the A17/A22