Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .223 Bullet

Basic Member

.223 Bullet

This has been discussed here a bunch, search function sends me to google. I'm going to swap out a .221 fireball barrel to a 16" .223 savage barrel on the striker to deer hunt this season. I have some barnes 69 gr and maybe a few 75 gr fiber tipped hornady bullets.

Any need to shop for something better? 100+ yrds is most common, open shooting lanes or field shooting.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Appleseed View Post
    This has been discussed here a bunch, search function sends me to google. I'm going to swap out a .221 fireball barrel to a 16" .223 savage barrel on the striker to deer hunt this season. I have some barnes 69 gr and maybe a few 75 gr fiber tipped hornady bullets.

Any need to shop for something better? 100+ yrds is most common, open shooting lanes or field shooting.
    What twist ratio?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I'm a dinosaur because I mostly shoot the Sierra #1400 53 gr MatchKing bullet. I'm going on 40 years with that bullet! Did in my .222 Rem and do in my .223 Rem. Great for targets and grim death on varmints.

But both with 1:12" twist barrels.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

.223 Bullet

In a stock 20” savage 1-9 barrel will shoot a 77gn smk just fine. Let’s not look at O “77gns” it’s Serrias shape or ogive. A 75gn bullet of a different manufacture wont always work. Or shoot well.
    I deer hunt with the 62gn TSX and the 77gn smk.
    Let us know more information and maybe I can suggest a bullet.
    I don’t know of a .223 barrel that won’t shoot a 55gn blitzking / gameking a serria bullet.
    Works on small deer also. Very accurate
    The 60gn partitions and federal 62gn fusions work also. Winchester makes a 60gn soft point that works.
    Speed kills so under 150yds shoot on!

This is supposed to be the best. Pretty new and I haven’t tried them.
    Hornady GMX sounds promising also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    yes i think you want some hunting bullets for the 22, not target bullets.
    your s sound like typical 223 target bullets

Basic Member
    Imho

1-12 40-55 gr, 1-9 55-62gr, 1-7 62-77gr.. just been my experiences that those twist ratios work best with those grains.. alot of things can make that not the case like size of driving band but I definitely wouldnt expect an1-12 to stabilize a 68-77gr bullet

Basic Member
    Stock savage barrels are 1/9 twist, more interested with how 16" barrel length might preform with knock-down power in a heavier bullet range. Yes the barnes is a hollow point target bullet, that's why there may be a better choice, and the hornady is somewhat the same.

Guess I should post comments before inserting the link, ANYWAY, it's the length of a bullet, not the weight. When a few shooters tried using the Rem. 221 Fireballs with their 1-14 twists for pistol silhouette shooting they were limited to 52/53 match bullets, FB 55 gn and the Speer 70 gn semi spire point bullets.

Basic Member
    I will add that the 77gn SMK's, at the higher end of book loads, are stable out to long range (>600yd) with my Axis (1-9, 22" barrel). But, I would not hunt larger game with them. Hornady 75gn ELD's are also stable, but, are also target bullets. Not sure if Hornady designed them to penetrate deer size game.

^^ That.

Yeah. I got into a real pissing match in another forum with a shooter (using a .223/5.56 NATO, by coincidence) for hunting, and he was going on about the benefits of "match" ammo for hunting.

We had some differences of opinion on what constitutes match ammo as regards to the qualities of ammunition loaded with a non-expanding match style bullet vs. very carefully handloaded ammunition with bullets designed to expand in the size of the animal you are hunting and the velocity it will strike that animal at.

Anyway, he is convinced Mk262 is God's gift to hunters and my point was that Black Hills and the SOCOM & AMU could care less about shooting a deer and that ammo was designed for a whole different scenario. Push come to shove it is just a Sierra MatchKing bullet. And even Sierra states: "While they are recognized around the world for record-setting accuracy, MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are not recommended for most hunting applications." What the military wants at 700 meters/yards is not a cleanly killed whitetail or mule deer.

That's why I shoot a GameKing bullet, but loaded with all the care I put into reloading as when I shot bencdrest in a league.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    ^^ That.

Yeah. I got into a real pissing match in another forum with a shooter (using a .223/5.56 NATO, by coincidence) for hunting, and he was going on about the benefits of "match" ammo for hunting.

We had some differences of opinion on what constitutes match ammo as regards to the qualities of ammunition loaded with a non-expanding match style bullet vs. very carefully handloaded ammunition with bullets designed to expand in the size of the animal you are hunting and the velocity it will strike that animal at.

Anyway, he is convinced Mk262 is God's gift to hunters and my point was that Black Hills and the SOCOM could care less about shooting a deer and that ammo was designed for a whole different scenario. Push come to shove it is just a Sierra MatchKing bullet. And even Sierra states: "While they are recognized around the world for record-setting accuracy, MatchKing and Tipped MatchKing bullets are not recommended for most hunting applications." What the military wants at 700 meters/yards is not a cleanly killed whitetail or mule deer.

That's why I shoot a GameKing bullet, but loaded with all the care I put into reloading as when I shot bencdrest in a league.
    Nicely stated lol

And all this time I thought the 556 NATO / 223 was designed to wound a 150lb biped.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

.223 Rem was designed to allow a soldier to carry a $hitload of ammo because no one could shoot worth a $hit that was coming into the service at that time.

Oop. Sorry. Was that out loud?

Banned
    I don’t agree with anything beyond small game using 223. I don’t believe using them on medium/larger game is ethical. But I was never a sport hunter either.

Now, not only 223, but even thinking of doing it with only a 16” 1:9 twist barrel to boot? Ok. Hope you don”t “wound” any game animals to death!

I'm with you there. I have raised chickens and formerly sheep and the .223 Rem (53 gr 1:12" twist) has been my go to varmint rifle beside the kitchen door for years. But I consider it a 100 lb and less game hunting round. Grim death on coyotes and foxes but there are so many better choices for deer.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    And all this time I thought the 556 NATO / 223 was designed to wound a 150lb biped.
    Lol.. that's all I can say lol:)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I have a feeling you and I would get along just fine lmbo

Basic Member
    Maybe I'm the only one who sees issues with trying to load a heavy bullet in a 9 twist, 16 inch barrel. It takes a slow burning powder to launch a 77 gr at a decent velocity, and with only 16 inches of barrel, much of the propellant will still be burning after the bullet exits, adding nothing to velocity. Switching to a faster powder will risk building pressure to extreme levels, IMOP.

Not saying it can't be done, just that it might be wiser to go with a 60 ish grain bullet and fast powder to get a good, lethal load. Unless of course, you always head shoot your deer at 100 yds. In that case, it probably doesn't matter.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Im starting to like the idea of a 6mmx 47(204ruger) or the blackout for this purpose. A 90 gr 6mm or 125 grain 30cal might be better medicine for those four legged 150 plus ruminants.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    The smaller 60+ grain and fast powder should work, always a neck/head shot close range, (never over 100yrds open ground), maybe just carry the 20ga and single ought. If it weren't for loading wildcat ammo, there would be a 6mm/45 on the striker now. Tried the blkout, it was a lot of work to load. A 150lb deer is big for this area until you get up towards VA mtns.

Basic Member
    The Federal Fusion 62 gr. is a great bullet it will exit on all behind the shoulder shots....put it high close to the spine they will drop in there tracks....put it on the synovial joint a bigger caliber would be better....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    .223 Rem was designed to allow a soldier to carry a $hitload of ammo because no one could shoot worth a $hit that was coming into the service at that time.

Oop. Sorry. Was that out loud?

Correct you are sir !!
    Cheers!

DD

.223 Bullet

Well.. one time long ago I had this conversation with a buddy. I asked him to go stand anywhere from 500yds to 800yds. I would shoot at him with my .223 and at the time my .270. Then report to me which one hurt more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Considering that the .223 has a greater chance of wounding me instead of killing me, then I would pick the .223 :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast