Thread: How high is too high?

How high is too high?

Out shooting the other day a buddy was picking on my scope height and cheek weld bag. He asked why not go with a lower set up like DNZ one piece mounts and a normal looking cheek weld piece.
    I said I’m not sure but this is what I put together.
    I have put together a really accurate dope chart to 600yds and really don’t have the time to re create one since shooting at 600yds is a rare occasion for me right now.
    Does this look funny to y’all? Be Honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The scope height argument is so 1980s....
    If you are comfortable with it, that is all that matters.

I like my scopes high so that my head is not cranked over in an un-natural position.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Jester

[quote]Does this look funny to y’all? Be Honest.[quote/]

Honestly? No.

Banned
    It looks absolutely normal. And I agree with the above.. Someone arguing/rebuking another for scope height(on a successful platform at that!), should seriously worry about their own set ups.

Basic Member
    To the OP, it looks like if you went any lower it your scope would hit the base.
    Does anyone know if there any publications that list the do’s and don’t’s of firearm fashion. I don’t want to be humiliated at the range.

Basic Member
    Scope height is irrelevant. If your scope maintains zero and the rifle is comfortable to shoot, then your setup is fine.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    Whatever feels good to you. If your cheek gets in the way, just take your teeth out when shooting for a closer fit.

Personally I think it is more a matter of good stock fit to your face, neck and eyeball and use the height that fits best. The rifle will catch up.

Doesn't really matter as long as you know how to accurately judge the distance to the target and have a method of aiming to compensate. But if you don't then having the scope closer to the bore gives you a longer "point blanc" distance where you will stay 3" or less above and below your scope "zero".

I'm old school and never touch the turrents throughout the hunting season once I have the load zeroed. If you are a "clicker" it really doesn't matter.

You can play on ballistic calculator sites like Nikon's Spot-on and see what a change in bore to scope centerlines does downrange. I know mine is 1.6" and have by BDC info taped inside the flip-up lens cap.

On the other hand . . . if you shoot a lot in a short time then a scope that is tight to the barrel is going to have more heat mirage effect from repeated firing. For a match shooter that might be a consideration.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Jester560 View Post
    The scope height argument is so 1980s....
    If you are comfortable with it, that is all that matters.
    I'm old enough to not care what others "think" about what works for me. If you're comfortable and happy with your combination that's all that matters.

Basic Member
    Your scope looks fine to me.

I tend to mount mine as low as possible, but there may be an advantage to having it up higher - especially with a heavy-recoiling rifle.

With the scope mounted higher the buttplate of the rifle would be lower in your shoulder with better contact and your head would still be vertical. With a low scope you either need to raise the rifle in your shoulder, possibly losing some contact, or tilt your head over to see through the scope.

It's all a compromise, and some of it would depend on your specific body shape like the length of your neck.

I'm going with the camp that realizes that scope position is unique for each individual but some practices of scope location can impact ergonomics and cause more effort to shoot accurately. If that is even applicable here.................
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.